Recommendations for a surgeon

Georgepds

Thank you for the reply. Really glad you are doing so well

It's good to take charge of your own health

One newbie question... what's wrong with vegetables. The reason I ask is for a while I've had a cup of succotash ( a mix of peas, carrots,green beans,corn,lima beans) mixed with butter and salt each day. Not in place of vitamins, but in addition. That's pretty much it for vegetables. Is there harm in it?

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the reply. Really glad you are doing so well

It's good to take charge of your own health

One newbie question... what's wrong with vegetables. The reason I ask is for a while I've had a cup of succotash ( a mix of peas, carrots,green beans,corn,lima beans) mixed with butter and salt each day. Not in place of q vitamins, but in addition. That's pretty much it for vegetables. Is there harm in it?
No harm after you eat all your protein that meal. But succotash is high carb. Try leafy green veggies or squash or any low carb veggie. Beans are acceptable because they are higher in fiber.

Georgepds

Just want to get back to the two stage option

My primary worry was that the DS part would not help. Turns out there is a study that shows it does help

Found this on dr k's excellent blog:

"...Biertho, et. al, (Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 14 (2018) 1570–1580) Published a study titled “Second-stage duodenal switch for sleeve gastrectomy failure: A matched controlled trial” where 118 patients were decided in two groups. One group had the duodenal switch as a singe procedure, and the second group had the sleeve gastrectomy followup by the second stage duodenal switch. They concluded that “Second-stage DS is an effective option for the management of suboptimal outcomes of SG, with an additional 41% excess weight loss and 35% remission rate for type 2 diabetes. At 3 years, the global outcomes of staged approach did not significantly differ from single-stage BPD-DS; however, longer-term outcomes are still needed.”

Sheanie

George, you have hit upon THE reason why we are so adamant about the one stage DS.

The metabolic benefit is greatest when done in one op. It is hugely reduced when used as a second stage WLS.

If anyone I loved were to get the DS, one step would be the only option. As many have told you before, there is no reason not to complete it in one go. Only rarely the surgeon runs out of time, or scar tissue makes it impossible. But that is rare. More often, the surgeon wants to earn more $$.

Georgepds

Hi

I did not get that from my read, the exact opposite in fact

Can you help out and tell me how you reached your conclusion, I might have missed someone