Real food??

chevtow

Very shortly I will be off puréed foods and able to introduce actual food. I'm wondering what were some of the things everyone started with? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew ( pun intended). I'm fussy but love pretty much all meat. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated :)

scrambled or soft boiled egg, shrimp, scallops...it's too soon for beef or chicken or pork. Salmon or other soft fish is also ok. Cottage cheese.

Everyone is different and every doc seems to have a different take on this. All the foods suggested are good bets.

I had no, as in zero, food restrictions. It was just whatever I could tolerate. Well that left it wide open! I found out very quickly I could tolerate almost anything and the key was to eat very slowly. Someone told me to use an egg timer inbetween bites even. I had my first real meal the day I got home from the hospital. Ground beef with a T of salsa and a slice of American cheese melted on top. By 10 days out, I was eating steak and chicken. And I have never(knock on wood) thrown up yet.

Just take it easy and go slow.

Shrimp, lobster and crab were a life saver for me early out. They just seemed to sit well in my tummy.

I (very stupidly) thought that corned beef cooked in the slow cooker until falling apart would be great soft protein for me. Boy, was I wrong! Made me sick for 4 days and when I called the dr he said it had probably gotten stuck :confused: The best things for me at that point were deli turkey & ham, eggs & soft cheeses. Some people have luck with ground beef or turkey, but that was rough on me for quite a while as well. I still relied heavily on protein shakes, yogurt, tuna & egg salad and soups for a long time.

I ate a lot of cheese at your stage (still do, actually), and introduced "chicken salad" (tiny bits of chicken mixed with mayo). I also started out with scrambled eggs with teeny bacon bits in them for flavor and protein.

When I remember those months I'm just happy they are over. What I could eat always seemed to be a moving target for me. Once I practically tore an Arby's beef and cheddar out of my husbands hands (no bun) but then two days later I could hardly get two bites down. Nalley's Chili without beans came and went a few times. I found that solid lamb and steak was awesome as long as I cut it to pea sized bites and ate slowly. Eggs, chicken and hamburger are still kind of hard to get down. Things in sauces, like Indian Kormas, Thai and Chinese eaten without the rice is what really saved me many a night, although my tolerance for spice is very low. mushrooms made things more slippery and so helped easier to eat. Also, things seriously slow cooked in liquid. A local Afghani Restaurant had a braised lamb dish called maitcha that was the only thing I ate for a week. Duck seemed to always work, although I got sick of it.

I just told somebody else to remember that these are the days that you are paying forward for yourself. Every day gets better and there is nothing to do power through it and not get too lost in the short term crap.

I'm six weeks out.......I do like chilli. I thought I could tolerate eggs as I had a scrambled egg with cheese - kept it down - but then about 5-6 hours later.....holy heck....BAD NEWS! One thing to do at this point (which I didn't listen to but have learned to now) is try one new thing at a time. That way you know if you are tolerating that food. If you try 2 or 3 things new in a day and have trouble you won't know what caused it.

Things that work for me: chicken (moist), chilli, protein shakes and bars, cheeses, yougurt, carrots (cooked well), ground beef if I chew it really well but can't eat much of it. Salads are good (spring greens, was told to avoid iceburg for now)

Good Luck!

try to work on protein that is easy for you to digest, a good cod fish is easy to eat, lots of fish, crab, chix with lots of mayo dry is rough, cheese, scrambled eggs, rib eye, filet mignon, chobani, hamburger-- feels good to graduate to real food

I ate string cheese, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Tried chicken/egg salads, but they were very hard on my tummy. Crab dipped in butter? NIRVANA

Just remember : Chew everything TO DEATH. Chew until there is nothing left to swallow. Masticate your food.

I ate string cheese, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Tried chicken/egg salads, but they were very hard on my tummy. Crab dipped in butter? NIRVANA

Just remember : Chew everything TO DEATH. Chew until there is nothing left to swallow. Masticate your food.

Yes, but only at home. You probably shouldn't masticate like that in public.

Latest posts

Back