Question

Newb

I am pretty sure that the ds is the only option for me, howevet, I do have one problem and would love to know if any of you can identify. I have a sweet tooth, a wicked sweet tooth. After the ds, will some of my craving go away? Will it help with this or is it always going to be a struggle?

Everybody is different. You'll hear from some who were immediately turned off by sweets; a few who never liked sweets before but liked them after (!!). And then a year out, people's tastes change again. You just can't predict this.

I have avoided carbs but have tried a few, I'd like to say as an experiment to see what would happen, bowel-wise, but honestly I WANTED them... some crackers, a piece of toast, a few french fries, a bite of hashed browns, more than a couple of vanilla wafers. (There is no chocolate candy in my house or I would have tried that, too.) I was really disappointed that I had no gas or diarrhea, foul-smelling or otherwise. (My poop actually seems to have little to no odor post-DS. I know I know, VERY weird.) I can't eat much of anything so do not fear a full-out binge. What I did notice was that a few hours after eating carbs, I wanted more. Sort of like kicking a drug habit, I just have to stay clear.

My problem pre-DS was never really sweets. I liked them but, needed potato chips, breads, pasta, you get the picture. Now, I have a bigger sweet tooth. I probably ate ice cream once a year pre-DS. Now, I want it all the time. It is all manageable though. Really!

You can have an occasional treat. During the weight loss phase, it will be small and rare, budgeting your carbs wisely. During maintenance, there is a little more leeway.

No way to say for sure if it will be a struggle. Best case scenario, avoid carbs as much as possible till you are 10% below goal. The fast weight loss helps motivate you to keep on avoiding the carbs. Down the road, you probably will be able to eat anything so it's not a forever deprivation issue. It's just for now.

Just an example but today I am eating Great Harvest Cinnamon Swirl bread. OMG! But do I feel horrible about it? No. I plan to enjoy every bite. I have wanted it for a long time and I haven't had any since preop so that means at least 2003!!! I know I can't just eat as I please. But I know an occasional planned screw up is OK.

Not for me it didn't buy the DS will help you as far as handling it if you eat too many. For one your guts will revolt if you have too much with bloating, bad gas and the shits. Even if that doesn't happen you are still not going to absorb the fat part of the sweet. You will absorb the carb part. You obviously have to focus on protein first and learn to manage your sweet tooth but it can be done and yes you can have some sweets.. You just can't over do it and think you won't gain weight... You will if you abuse it.

Hey @Newb i have a big old sweet tooth - ice cream, peanut butter fudge, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin bread - you get the idea. this is all stuff I ate at the holidays. So, yes the desire is still there - but I tell you I paid- cramping, bad gas etc. the whole 9 yards. I am very thankful for that. we learn as we diet that all those foods are bad for us and will make us fat but there are no immediate consequences to eating them, so I ate, had guilt, ate, guilt . . .

WELL - now, for me there is immediate feedback - immediate for me is 6 to 8 hours as well as consequences for my family. They have to suffer through the gas too. It is a wonderful deterrent.

last week was having a pity party for 1 - going to be alone as the wife was with her mom - usually that was my time to eat. Driving home my old fat brain was what can I eat - thought about doughnuts, thought about ice cream - every thought that came to mind I can honestly say I did not want.

so, no at 7ish months the craving is not gone - BUT - my brain is getting there.

Latest posts

Back