Question about lack of injectible vitamins

Mae23

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this question but as I comtemplate a revision from a restrictive to malabsorbitive procedure I am very curious. Why are more vitamins not injectible?
I've been a vegetarian since I was 10. So I lack b12, all the sublingual liquids, and pills never helped. Now I give myself a b12 shot once a month. It's delightful. Much cheaper (8$ a shot) and a lot less hassle then taking pills or swishing something your tongue or applying a patch...
Is there a reason this cannot be done with other vitamins? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a shot of vitamin d or calcium than to have to ingest the INCREDIBLE amounts required after duodenal switch?
And if they can't be absorbed unless they are digested then how come patches work for these?

Hi!

where to begin...well first, I don't understand why B12 pills don't work for you unless you had gastric bypass, and even with that miserable operation the sublingual usually works, but you have found something that works for you and that's what matters. Though as to price, you could buy a huge bottle of B12 at Costco and it would cost much less than $8/month.
Other vitamins are injectable, BUT you need a doctor to order them for you, and most doctors will advice patients to try the more usual routes first, increase the dose, try a different formulation, etc before ordering a bunch of injections. Others require IV injection, not shots, so again need doctors orders AND an IV, so taking them orally is going to be the preferred method. Yes, we need larger doses with the DS, no question about it, but frankly it isn't difficult. Crucial, but not difficult. You get into a daily routine, just like with brushing your teeth. IMHO it's far less hassle to take those pills than it would be to go to some office or clinic and get injections.
There are some people trying the patches, which are relatively new, or using them in combination with pills. Thus far we haven't seen the best of results with the patches, which is disappointing. But who knows what the future holds. It's just like with medications - some can be absorbed through the skin, but others can't. That's just how it is.
I'm wondering if you are one of those folks who, for whatever reason, has an aversion to taking pills. I've met people both online and IRL who just hate to take pills. the bottom line with the DS, or any operation with any component of malabsorption, is that supplementing with vitamins and minerals is a fact of life, a lifetime commitment that is an absolute must to maintain good heatlh. My advice to anyone who is unwilling or unable to take the necessary vitamins and minerals is not to have the DS or any other operation with any degree of malabsorption. And even restrictive operations can cause trouble because the diet can be deficient in the foods that normally provide all the necessary nutrients.

And the above points don't even touch on the vegetarian diet. It would be very difficult to get in enough protein for someone who is strictly vegetarian. Perhaps others will comment on that.

I have not had the bypass. I have the sleeve, but I was b12 deficient long before that. I don't have an objection to taking pills, I take about 5 pills day anyways (GERD). It's just the b12 supplements I tried didn't work. I give myself the injections, the dr gives me a years supply and I keep them in the fridge. if I had to go into an office and have someone administer them, this would be a different story. To me they make the most sense. So I was wondering if I could do the same with other vitamins.

It's probably possible but the cost would be horrendous. If you can take the pills that's the way to go.

But you would have a bigger problem. Protein. Even if you could eat enough beans, tofu, lentils, etc to get @ 120gr of COMPLETE protein per day, it's doubtful you could deal with the side effects. The gas would be so bad you could fuel your own moon mission. Plus the success of malabsorbtive procedures is based on the avoidance of carbs. If you were willing to modify your diet to include eggs, cheese, and fish, you would be fine.

Most Ds'rs don't have problems with B12 but obviously you do.

I get A & D injections on top of my daily oral intake, but that is because I am a special case and don't absorb the fat solubles well. My numbers would be out of range without injections of these two. I am not sure there are injectables for most of the others. I have never heard of one for calcium. I know some get iron infusions but that is for a variety of reasons, primarily necessity.

As the oh so wise @Larra said these require Dr's orders and you will have a hard time finding anyone to do it if it isn't a medical necessity. That being said, it is also not easy to get these. The Vitamin A & D are only around because Dr Keshishian saw a need to have these available for some of his patients and he had a local pharmacy compound them for him. This pharmacy does sell to the public but I live in IL with Dr K in LA area so after my first Vitamin D injection with Dr K in Glendale I later needed A. My Dr ordered this but his group couldn't get it so he gave me the script and said to see if I could get it filled then to come in and his nurse would inject me (he didn't even charge me for a visit). Walgreens couldn't get it through normal stores but they have a pharmacy at one of the local hospitals who speicilizes in hard to get things and after 3 days and their last option the great pharmacist found it for me. Next time I will just order directly from the pharmacy in La Hambra that makes it for Dr K.

Again, the A & D are the only injectables I am aware of for now

Latest posts

Back