Pets...we all have them! (okay, most of us anyway)

Sadly...no pets...not gonna have any more pets...but I do LIKE those 4-legged things.

My Debbie Downer story, but food for thought, maybe?

My sister (she is down to one cat and will not get another one after he is gone) and I got burned out with our mother's cat. For many years, every time Mom ended up in the hospital, my sister and I had to be with her at the hospital AND we had to run around in circles to take care of her mean ugly cat while Mom could not. It really added to our burden and that of our husbands who were trying to keep US glued together. (And we are old women ourselves and needed their help.) And THEN...when Mom deteriorated to the point that she needed a higher level of care, she was no longer allowed a pet. So then we had the responsibility of figuring out what to do with the mean ugly cat. (My town had a no-kill shelter, but they make you feel like a criminal when you take an animal there.)

So...if you have an elderly relative who is alone or whose pet dies and you are thinking about replacing that animal for companionship for the old person...think it through to the unattractive, but logical, conclusion and make sure you are ready for the whole responsibility.

On a lighter note, our daughter has two cats. The old one is Monkey. We adore Monkey. But then daughter got crazy and got the second cat...which is--and we all agree on this--just the dumbest cat ever. Daughter gave that cat a name, but I just call her Not Monkey. As in, "How are Monkey and Not Monkey?" I will find and post a photo of Monkey. But I'm not gonna waste bandwidth on Not Monkey. She just wouldn't appreciate it.

So...if you have an elderly relative who is alone or whose pet dies and you are thinking about replacing that animal for companionship for the old person...think it through to the unattractive, but logical, conclusion and make sure you are ready for the whole responsibility.
Yeah, dh and I and my sister (the one who is a vet) have already considered what to do with my daddy's JRT when he gets to the point of no pets. We can add her to our bunch easy enough, she spends time over at our house already, our crowd gets along with her pretty well...

The key tho is his dog actually is owned by my stepmom and she may have other ideas.

My mother has a cat, Pepper, and I have assured her that I will take care of him if needed. She also adopts stray cats and drives me nuts with them. I had to take one and have him put down, he was so bad. I have to keep Pepper's immunization schedule so that I can make sure he is protected from any diseases that her stray's have. Oh, we are taking one next month to have him neutered.

My mother has a cat, Pepper, and I have assured her that I will take care of him if needed. She also adopts stray cats and drives me nuts with them. I had to take one and have him put down, he was so bad. I have to keep Pepper's immunization schedule so that I can make sure he is protected from any diseases that her stray's have. Oh, we are taking one next month to have him neutered.
That's it, Shellie! Not Monkey's real name is Pepper. (I think.)

My avatar is my beloved Furry aka Ferrari (who was in trouble in this picture because she was sleeping on the clean laundry) because when she was little she was so small and her purr was so loud that she sounded like a race car--you could hear her from two rooms away. She stayed with my parents in California when I moved to the Northwest in 2001 (she would NOT have liked the weather up here). Sadly I lost her to cancer two years ago. Since then my allergies have kicked in so I mainly love on my friends pets and long for the day when I can have a space with a backyard so that I can once again share my life with dogs and cats and horses.

I need to figure out how to post pics so I can brag about my zoo! I adopted a sweet girl from a rescue group two weeks ago, so now I have 2 dogs & 2 cats. Three of them are geriatric & two of them have pretty serious health issues, but I love them with all my heart.

upload_2014-1-12_16-11-39.png upload_2014-1-12_16-14-32.png upload_2014-1-12_16-12-56.png
I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats. I can only have three cats.

We had the perfect cat-zen going on with two.. they were fine, they slept together and occasionally would have those stand-off cat fights where you hear the Shatner-esque Star Trek fight music in your head and you dare not intervene.. then, then.. one day Todd comes in uttering the words "I probably shouldn't even be telling you this..." A blue eyed pointed fluff-ball found him outside, befriended him.. and implored him to talk her up. She was a neighbor's "outdoor cat".. one they put food out for, but nothing else. She had kittens in the garage next door.. then got sick. They did nothing.

Long story short, she recuperated from her illness and spaying in our garage, while he was re-wiring a motorcycle.. and had glommed onto him from then on. She broke the zen, asserted bully-dominance, and after swallowing one of my earplugs, necessitating exploratory surgery and a bowel resection to the tune of a small Japanese import (she totally had us suckered at that point) has now become the third wheel in out cat-verse. We also have a betta.

edit- not posting right, but don't feel like uploading.. Anya is the big eyed grey, Maizie is the blue eyed fluffball, and Little Britches (she has short legs, our friends named her when she was queening in their garage) is the torti.

Little Britches- adopted mama cat post litter from a friends garage, mouthiest talking cat- her daughter, Zoya, is just as mouthy.. our friends have Zoya:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobble in his "love me" pose
l4NFl3U.jpg

Perrin as a puppy
H72SxaZ.jpg

Perrin now
y4wwAK3.jpg

@Cat, Bobble looks very much like my cuddle buddy, Isaac, who is purring and curled up on my footrest. Santa gave me a camera. I need to find it and get a picture of him.

Latest posts

Back