Pay for the DS... Walk out with something else.

Does anyone know if surgeons who perform either of these other surgeries believe the gas & stool odor is quite a bit less?

Well if you dbl\triple check your consent form and have been straight up about not wanting anything BUT the DS....what more can you do other than trust that they do that proceedure? I mean....is there any other way to tell? Do you think it makes a difference between insured and self pay on this subject?

Well if you dbl\triple check your consent form and have been straight up about not wanting anything BUT the DS....what more can you do other than trust that they do that proceedure? I mean....is there any other way to tell? Do you think it makes a difference between insured and self pay on this subject?
One way is to get a copy of the surgical report. But then we do know of surgeons who have falsified those as well.

this makes me SO mad: what could be more arrogant than a surgeon thinking he can do whatever he wants when you are out and he is inside your body with his cutting tools? ! :angry smile:

An update... Another one.

Guy on OH weighs @ 400lbs. Goes in for the DS and comes out with a sleeve. What was he told? HIS ABDOMINAL WALL WAS TOO MUSCULAR! Really? Seriously? Last time I checked surgeons had knives that would cut through steak just fine. I hope this is a case of the medically challenged talking about things they don't understand. I checked his profile, no mention of the surgeon's name.

An update... Another one.

Guy on OH weighs @ 400lbs. Goes in for the DS and comes out with a sleeve. What was he told? HIS ABDOMINAL WALL WAS TOO MUSCULAR! Really? Seriously? Last time I checked surgeons had knives that would cut through steak just fine. I hope this is a case of the medically challenged talking about things they don't understand. I checked his profile, no mention of the surgeon's name.
I rarely go on OH anymore, but I saw that and had to walk away shaking my head with the SAME reaction. But NOOOOO ... people don't want to hear what the vets have to say when we try to warn the newbies about inexperienced or UNexperienced surgeons who can't/won't do the DS.

I rarely go on OH anymore, but I saw that and had to walk away shaking my head with the SAME reaction. But NOOOOO ... people don't want to hear what the vets have to say when we try to warn the newbies about inexperienced or UNexperienced surgeons who can't/won't do the DS.
You know... There needs to be consequences.

Oh Jesus, not another SADIst. They are coming out of the woodwork like termites. It's an infestation!
ok that is just freakin' funny. I think as MO people we are targets, people have a preconceived picture in their head, that you are slow, fat, stupid, etc hell you did this to yourself, but that also can mean just the opposite, that enough is enough and as a DSer we are a pretty direct, get what you want type of people, I mean lets be real, most of us have had to fight for the DS, either insurance coverage, limb lengths, sleeve size, you had the gastric bypass it is the same thing, every single ailment is traced back to your DS...oh breast cancer must have been from the DS, oh thyroidectomy must have been the DS, and so on...

Diana, that's not entirely true for everyone. Listening to "you people"...cost me all the time and monies for five visits to five different surgeons!, 3 of which tried to the ole "bait and switch on me". So, IF it wasn't for the info from that I have read on these site from you Vets, there's no doubt in my mind I'd be waking up with a VSG and not a DS...and, yes, I know, "the fat lady hasn't sung) yet, (pardon the pun), as I'm still a pre-op. But, I at least know about it and the consent form etc and so does my Dr. and my family. I have it in writing in an email also that confirmed he does not do that and would only do a "two stage DS" if agreed on before the surgery and only does that on patients with a BMI in the 80's or higher, but, yes, that has been and still is my greatest fear.

Last edited:
Diana, that's not entirely true for everyone. Listening to "you people"...cost me all the time and monies for five visits to five different surgeons!, 3 of which tried to the ole "bait and switch on me". So, IF it wasn't for the info from that I have read on these site from you Vets, there's no doubt in my mind I'd be waking up with a VSG and not a DS...and, yes, I know, "the fat lady hasn't sung) yet, (pardon the pun), as I'm still a pre-op. But, I at least know about it and the consent form etc and so does my Dr. and my family. I have it in writing in an email also that confirmed he does not do that and would only do a "two stage DS" if agreed on before the surgery and only does that on patients with a BMI in the 80's or higher, but, yes, that has been and still is my greatest fear.
Which means we did our job...to educate someone on how to be pro-active and what to ask.

Regardless of which surgery a person gets, as long as they know of ALL of their options and go into the decision educated, then all is good.

Latest posts

Back