Pay for the DS... Walk out with something else.

@star0210 , why would you consider the SADI instead of the DS, if your sleeve has already failed you? I ask this with sincerity and concern. The SADI, as Diana Cox has already said, does not have the malabsorption you and I both need. I'm a lightweight, started out at 250-ish, and am doing well with the DS. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It has saved my life. I fail to see the reasoning behind anyone choosing the SADI over the DS.

@Sheanie I'm not. I'm scheduled for a regular ole DS. I thought about it for about half a second. I think I got a little scared seeing all the posts about obstructions, malnutrition, and other complications and I thought...I can take all of these supplements now but if what if something were to happen to me where I couldn't take all of those supplements. Then what would happen?
But THEN I thought....if the data on the Sadi pans out and it ends up being as good as the DS then the malabsorption is probably just as good..which would leave with the same issue in my scenario above...if it's not, then I'd probably gain all the weight back.

Did that even make sense?

@Sheanie I'm not. I'm scheduled for a regular ole DS. I thought about it for about half a second. I think I got a little scared seeing all the posts about obstructions, malnutrition, and other complications and I thought...I can take all of these supplements now but if what if something were to happen to me where I couldn't take all of those supplements. Then what would happen?
But THEN I thought....if the data on the Sadi pans out and it ends up being as good as the DS then the malabsorption is probably just as good..which would leave with the same issue in my scenario above...if it's not, then I'd probably gain all the weight back.

Did that even make sense?
Actually yes, it does.

While we won't know for a few more years how the SADI pans out...we were in the same boat early on with the DS...it took awhile for the DS to pan out. We know know it's stats but in the first 5 years, it was still an iffy proposition.

@star0210 that makes sense to me. The benefits of malabsorption, which are considerable, come with the need for specific vitamin and mineral supplementation, and plenty of protein, for life. Either you get both the benefits and the responsibilities or you get neither. It's a package deal. I'm grateful that I had the DS, which even when I had it over 8 years ago was standard of care with well documented longterm results. Of course at one time that wasn't the case, and I'm grateful to the people who went before me, but now we do have this well established option. Maybe the SADI will pan out. Maybe it won't. The one good thing I see about it at this point is that some surgeons are offering it instead of gastric bypass, which will probably mean better results (compared to gastric bypass) for their patients as well as preserving pyloric function, allowing them to take NSAIDs, no dumping, and such. But whether it will give the results of the DS is very much up in the air.

Yes, @star0210 , you make perfect sense to me as well. The SADI is very much an unknown. While it **might** be better than the RNY, it still isn't the Duodenal Switch by a long shot. And those of us who NEED the strength of the DS are happy we've got it, and especially that it still works 10 years plus down the road.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard of these instances. I was subjected to the "changing to RNY" at the last minute, after traveling a great distance to get my DS, and while I think the surgeon is a skilled cutter and would like to recommend him as an option for those on the other side of the globe, this is why I don't.

We are worn down from the obesity and all the shit it brings, and even the process of getting WLS. They know this. They know we are tired, and desperate. They have plenty of motivation to mislead for the extra money they can make by doing a faster, easier procedure with easier followup. Less worry about non-compliant nincompoops not taking supplements.

I mostly get why this is happening, but what baffles me is how many people get a warning (or MANY) yet seem determined to defend a surgeon they haven't yet had surgery with. They have clearly decided to go to whoever, and disregard warnings of bait and switch, a high complication rate or whatever. With literally one meeting, and the surgeon is so "nice" they have blind faith.

One of the important things about Bariatric Facts is that if there is a surgeon with a bad track record, it can be put out there uncensored. It's sad that most of the places I went to learn about surgery (not here, like back since 2007 and onward) are complicit in this deceit, in that they remove bad reviews for terrible surgeons, and allow what are certainly bogus glowing reviews for surgeons that are paying advertisers.

Secret shopping may help, but having a place with uncensored information (like, not OH or most nannyed FB groups) about surgeons, and having it be a TOP hit for online researchers would be good.

Latest posts

Back