Panni, brachioplasty and hernia repair

smokinstella

Ok so I was lucky enough to get my insurance to cover my panni removal and a hernia repair and both my arms at the same time. The hernia repair has made it like a full tummy tuck. For someone who has no idea what having a flat tummy is like it's crazy. My doc was also by some crazy voodoo get my insurance to cover my arms at the same time. Once we got my approval we scheduled me for dec.31. New year, New body and all that jazz.

I arrived to the hospital at 6am the morning of my surgery. I was prepared and drawn on then loaded to the bed and away we went at 8am or so. Surgery took 5 hours and doc said all went well, I was staying the night to make sure all was good then was to go home the next day. My surgeon managed to remove well over 20lbs of extra skin and tissue. As the day went on though things we're starting to look funny on the monitors. They were using my legs for bp checks so they were not sure if that was the issue or not. I was in and out of it and I woke hitting the nurse call button. I knew something was very very wrong and I needed help.

With in minutes there was at least 10 people in that room including the er doc. I was in really bad shape my blood pressure was tanking and I just wanted to feel better. I had an internal bleed that had been going for at least 10 maybe more hours. The er doc got a central line started since I had nothing else that could be used. I seriously have never felt that awful in my entire life. They started ordering blood and platelets as they contacted my surgeon. My surgeon finally got in and they rushed me down to the or. I "reminded" them to call my husband and let him know what was going on. Little did I know that they had already called him and told him to get down there since they didn't think I was going to make it.

Well clearly I made it, there was one small bleeder that caused all that havoc. Took him 3 hours to pull me apart and put me back together. I also required 8 units of blood and I think 2 units of platelets to get my levels good enough to send me home 4 days later.

I am still very weak and was told to drink lots of fluids and my walking is to be from my recliner to the bathroom and back. I have to use a walker to keep my balance and help support me as I walk. Since I have been running low grade fevers since surgery I am on 2antibiotics. Most people don't have these kinds of issues come up but they clearly can and do come up and you should be prepared for it if you are looking into plastics.

I still don't know if I like or love my results, but I do know I am thankful to have made it through.

Wow, I'm so sorry this happened, how scary :( I'm really glad you're ok. Yes, plastic/reconstruction is serious business, still surgery and with risks; it's definitely why I've paused in pursuing an abdominoplasty with my hernia repairs, I had a big history of problems with my RNY, ok so far with my DS revision and kinda like, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I had my panni and stage 1 of my arms done in 2003.

Staying hydrated is very important, and get in as much protein as you can to facilitate healing, protein is what feeds our muscle, tissue and blood. PS recovery is also different then regular surgery; walking a bit for anesthesia yes, but you really want to limit your movement otherwise. Also, it can take awhile to really see the results as they will be long term, for the swelling to go down, your body to adjust itself. But you will feel quality of life better pretty quickly with that panni gone, I sure did. And might I add WOW about getting all approved, especially the arms/brachioplasty, your doc is GENIUS. I know I sure would like more info on that. But not now, rest up and post updates on how you're doing.

Ok so I was lucky enough to get my insurance to cover my panni removal and a hernia repair and both my arms at the same time. The hernia repair has made it like a full tummy tuck. For someone who has no idea what having a flat tummy is like it's crazy. My doc was also by some crazy voodoo get my insurance to cover my arms at the same time. Once we got my approval we scheduled me for dec.31. New year, New body and all that jazz.

I arrived to the hospital at 6am the morning of my surgery. I was prepared and drawn on then loaded to the bed and away we went at 8am or so. Surgery took 5 hours and doc said all went well, I was staying the night to make sure all was good then was to go home the next day. My surgeon managed to remove well over 20lbs of extra skin and tissue. As the day went on though things we're starting to look funny on the monitors. They were using my legs for bp checks so they were not sure if that was the issue or not. I was in and out of it and I woke hitting the nurse call button. I knew something was very very wrong and I needed help.

With in minutes there was at least 10 people in that room including the er doc. I was in really bad shape my blood pressure was tanking and I just wanted to feel better. I had an internal bleed that had been going for at least 10 maybe more hours. The er doc got a central line started since I had nothing else that could be used. I seriously have never felt that awful in my entire life. They started ordering blood and platelets as they contacted my surgeon. My surgeon finally got in and they rushed me down to the or. I "reminded" them to call my husband and let him know what was going on. Little did I know that they had already called him and told him to get down there since they didn't think I was going to make it.

Well clearly I made it, there was one small bleeder that caused all that havoc. Took him 3 hours to pull me apart and put me back together. I also required 8 units of blood and I think 2 units of platelets to get my levels good enough to send me home 4 days later.

I am still very weak and was told to drink lots of fluids and my walking is to be from my recliner to the bathroom and back. I have to use a walker to keep my balance and help support me as I walk. Since I have been running low grade fevers since surgery I am on 2antibiotics. Most people don't have these kinds of issues come up but they clearly can and do come up and you should be prepared for it if you are looking into plastics.

I still don't know if I like or love my results, but I do know I am thankful to have made it through.

Oh I'm so glad you came over here. I've been following you and trying not to think of the nightmare you're going thru, honestly. I want to have plastics done and even tho I know there are risks, I don't want to think about them, you know? I'm so glad you pulled thru and are here to share your story. I hope your recovery turns around and is quick and with as least pain as possible. ;)

I am thankful the belly is gone, it was making my life every difficult. Non-stop rashes since it was gotten colder and I already feel a huge change in my back pain for the better. I have an amazing surgeon who really cares about his patients and he fights to get as much covered by insurance as possible, even more so for wls patients since he is one himself. I know he did everything he could and it was just one little tiny thing that he didn't see due to any number of reasons that things happened this way. Him and his team where also able to find the bleed fast enough that what the one nurse who told my hubby that it looked like I wasn't going to make it, made it so that didn't have to come true.

Oh I'm so glad you came over here. I've been following you and trying not to think of the nightmare you're going thru, honestly. I want to have plastics done and even tho I know there are risks, I don't want to think about them, you know? I'm so glad you pulled thru and are here to share your story. I hope your recovery turns around and is quick and with as least pain as possible. ;)
I that you don't want to have to deal with that Heck most of everything I had seen or heard of plastics was all good and hunky doory. You don't see many of the close calls post and I think it's so very important to remember this is still surgery, dangerous surgery that can have risks. We all need to remember that when we look at reconstruction of our bodies. We all took that risk when we had wls to improve our lives and health. Reconstruction is no different. I thought the hazards of the constant skin issues and my back pain warranted the risk. I am hoping with the belly and arms done some of the breast issues and thigh issues improve as well or I am going to have to weigh the risk again. Given it maybe awhile since hubby has said he don't want to see me have any more surgery ever again.

Stella hope your recovery continues to improve. Sorry you went through all this, scary stuff. Thanks for sharing your experience, everyone does need to be aware that plastics isn't always easy nor is it complication free.

Oh my goodness, Stella. Glad you are okay now - but what an awful and scary experience. I hope the remainder of your recovery is speedy, as comfortable as possible and complication-free!

I am so glad they were able to find the bleed. I do think we sometimes forget the surgical risks.

Yes we had weight loss surgery to improve our health but sometimes the plastic surgery helps us over the mental hurdle of wanting to be "normal " whatever that means.

MsVee

I am so glad you are on your way back to good health. I know I will want PS at some point. Hell, I would take some now! Whether or not I will be able to afford it, that is another worry for another day.

Figured I would keep people updated. I have to be readmitted to the hospital for iv antibiotics and surgery to clean up the dead tissue. I have to be there by noon and will be there for a few days. Please swing some critters for me.

Latest posts

Back