Osteoporosis, Kidney Stones or Morbid Obesity?

So, there's a new stone, about 4mm and the stone that was 3mm about 14 months ago is now 7mm. Those cannot pass. And shock waves can break them up, but don't necessarily move them out. Then they sit there and grow.
Ergo, unless things move and I'm in pain sooner, I'll probably have another ureteroscopy in May...or maybe June.

Meanwhile, I'm "delaying" starting the Forteo. For now.

Gonna schedule a visit with the DS guru and discuss digestive enzymes.

I am currently trying to get Prolia covered. Insurance wants me to do Reclast first. I do not want bisphosphonates.

Meanwhile, I picture my bones turning to styrofoam......

Stones, however horrible, are nothing compared to a broken hip which may very well leave you bedridden before killing you. Reversing the DS won't do much to reverse bones loss and you'll be miserable. I'd rather be in excruciating pain once a year that miserable and 300 lbs all the time. I'm on time-released Urocit and it's greatly improved my kidney stone risk panel.

Stones, however horrible, are nothing compared to a broken hip which may very well leave you bedridden before killing you. Reversing the DS won't do much to reverse bones loss and you'll be miserable. I'd rather be in excruciating pain once a year that miserable and 300 lbs all the time. I'm on time-released Urocit and it's greatly improved my kidney stone risk panel.

Agreed.

My uro is trying to ease me into urocit again but he didn’t tell me what he was up to. So we will have to change the brand. He rx’d a liquid, which has a sugar alcohol, usually not kind to me.

But his heart is in the right place.

The hip thing scares me...usually the beginning of the end.

Last edited:

You are the WINNER!

Saw my favorite doctor today. He suggests:
-an osteoporosis medication, and
-meanwhile, get the current stones (4mm and 7mm) removed, and
-follow up with testing to see how badly I’m doing with making NEW stones, and
-just TREAT the IBS-D symptoms, and
-try a keto diet, maybe weight loss will help w/arthritis pain in knees and ankles.

ETA—also, since the keto diet will aggravate my IBS-D, take a little Flagyl daily, probably forever...and since it will aggravate the stones situation, do 24-hr urine collection and maybe KUB or ultrasound exams a couple times a year.

Besides which, I’m gonna go read about estrogen for osteoporosis treatment. (Yes, I realize that Forteo is considered “standard of care” these days, but you know...at one time...so were frontal lobotomies...and LapBands.)

Last edited:
You are the WINNER!

Saw my favorite doctor today. He suggests:
-an osteoporosis medication, and
-meanwhile, get the current stones (4mm and 7mm) removed, and
-follow up with testing to see how badly I’m doing with making NEW stones, and
-just TREAT the IBS-D symptoms, and
-try a keto diet, maybe weight loss will help w/arthritis pain in knees and ankles.

ETA—also, since the keto diet will aggravate my IBS-D, take a little Flagyl daily, probably forever...and since it will aggravate the stones situation, do 24-hr urine collection and maybe KUB or ultrasound exams a couple times a year.

Besides which, I’m gonna go read about estrogen for osteoporosis treatment. (Yes, I realize that Forteo is considered “standard of care” these days, but you know...at one time...so were frontal lobotomies...and LapBands.)

Yay! What do I win?

It's been a while since I've been here, so glad this showed up. I'm wondering how the stone/osteo balance is going.

Missed seeing the stuff about Oxalobacter formigenes, and I have tried to find and buy it for years. Even made an effort traveling to Europe when I heard there was a chance I could get it in Germany. Nope.

I may have mentioned before, but there is a very closely related strain to o. form in the brand VSL3-DS, which can be over the counter, or rx. Of course I have yet to see a study that tests vsl-3 for breaking down oxalates, but it's such a close match, I take it.

Latest posts

Back