Oh, my goodness…Vitamin D!

Spiky Bugger

Nineteen years ago, I started with lower dosages of Vitamin D3…didn’t even register…moved up to 50,000 IU dry vitamin D3. Lab results up a tiny bit. Then TWO of the 50k daily. Closer to range. Then THREE of the 50k daily and…Voila!…at the absolute bottom of the range for Vitamin D3! (My doctors were aware of what was going on.)

For YEARS, I’ve done this with the same results.

My (new, because I’ve never had a neurologist before) neuro and me:
Him: It says 150,000 units. There must be some mistake.
Me: No. I take 150k, daily. Less than that and I don’t even get into the range.
Him: Who writes that prescription?
Me: No one. It’s an OTC.
Him: WHAT? That’s impossible!
Me (with iPad in hand): This is the brand I last ordered, but several companies sell it.
Him (reading the Amazon listing): I’m sorry. I just don’t understand. I don’t suppose you need to change what you are doing. We can revisit this at your next appointment.

Input? Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited:
Don’t change it. However, if he still doesn’t get it, be willing to do a Vit D challenge. BUT only if you have a Vit D retest IN HAND for no further out than 2 months.

If you do accept the challenge, ask what his acceptable level per day would be. Also remind him a toxic level is not how much you take but what your lab level shows.

I did a vit D challenge for an Endocrinologist who was squirrelly about the amount. I had the repeat lab in hand before I left his office. I dropped from 108 to 40 in one month. He got my point.

Btw, I just recently had to repeat calcium, D, and PTH cause my PTH went wonky at my March labs.
Calcium was 8.4
D was 59
PTH was 103 (and mine had never been higher than 25).
So I doubled my D from 50,000 to 100,000
Monday I had repeat labs
Calcium 9.8
D was 134
PTH was 20
I immediately dropped my D back to 50,000.

What happened was I had a Prolia shot about a week before my yearly labs. Not doing THAT again.

Last edited:
Don’t change it. However, if he still doesn’t get it, be willing to do a Vit D challenge. BUT only if you have a Vit D retest IN HAND for no further out than 2 months.

If you do accept the challenge, ask what his acceptable level per day would be. Also remind him a toxic level is not how much you take but what your lab level shows.

I did a vit D challenge for an Endocrinologist who was squirrelly about the amount. I had the repeat lab in hand before I left his office. I dropped from 108 to 40 in one month. He got my point.

Btw, I just recently had to repeat calcium, D, and PTH cause my PTH went wonky at my March labs.
Calcium was 8.4
D was 59
PTH was 103 (and mine had never been higher than 25).
So I doubled my D from 50,000 to 100,000
Monday I had repeat labs
Calcium 9.8
D was 134
PTH was 20
I immediately dropped my D back to 50,000.

What happened was I had a Prolia shot about a week before my yearly labs. Not doing THAT again.
I did a Vit D challenge about 8-10 years ago.
Dr: Even though your labs show Vit D as low, I’m uncomfortable with the massive dose you’re taking. Can we put you on the weekly 50k Rx Vit D for a few months and retest?
Me: How about a month?
Dr: Sure.
About five weeks later…
Dr. Well…your labs are back and thanks for humoring me. Please resume the previous dosage.

She was nice.

~~~
Also, re Prolia, at visit w/neuro:
Dr: Do you have an endocrinologist?
Me: No. They hate me. They always want to prescribe osteoporosis drugs.
Dr: That would be the standard treatment.
Me: But the bigger-than-small-print says you have to be able to take Vit D and Calcium. I’m assuming that is the instruction for the un-rearranged patient. So I ask, “Where does that leave me, walking in the door, barely in range while taking 150k IU daily?” And they never have an answer.

Latest posts

Back