New. Probably getting DS

Webmommy

In your other surgeries, was there more than one procedure that could have achieved the intended result, though? I mean, if you're going in for a cholecystectomy and for some reason they can't get at the gallbladder, they aren't going to offer to remove something else as a second choice...

Since Dr. Now apparently does it, my surgeon did it, and come to find out the original poster's surgeon offered alternative procedures once he's on the operating table, makes it seems to me that it just might be a pretty common standard of care for WLS. It makes sense to me and I'm glad I was given the option (even if I might have made the wrong choice at the time).
Yes my spinal fusion. They could have performed it by going through the side and the back, or just through the back or the 360 degree fusion ( through abdomen and back) with different hardware and then there was a choice between bone morphogenetic protein or cadaver bone to help things grow together. I had the 360 fusion with titanium rods, screws and spacers and with BMP.

This is pretty relevant too because multilevel fusions through the back only do not have as high a success rate as fusions through the front and back. They too wondered about my c section scar tissue in my abdomen causing problems when they went through the belly but it didn’t change the plan. It would just take longer and they would have to be more careful. I didn’t need to consent to three different surgeries just in case.

Then when I had my spinal cord stimulator implant put in they could have just threaded it through my vertebrae or drill in my vertebrae and sew it in with titanium thread. Then when I had an upgrade and they put in another lead in it was pretty difficult because I had a ton of scar tissue but there was no plan a, b or c. These surgeries were done by three different surgeons.

Justme222

Bypass has never been an option on my list. I have been in contact with one of my doctors previous patients and am feeling way more comfortable. It makes sense that he can't wake me up and get my opinion in the middle of the procedure so he asks the what if questions ahead of time. It makes sense and I am glad he thinks far enough ahead to be prepared for whatever he finds when he gets in there.

Webmommy

Bypass has never been an option on my list. I have been in contact with one of my doctors previous patients and am feeling way more comfortable. It makes sense that he can't wake me up and get my opinion in the middle of the procedure so he asks the what if questions ahead of time. It makes sense and I am glad he thinks far enough ahead to be prepared for whatever he finds when he gets in there.
Well if that makes you feel comfortable then fine.