New. Probably getting DS

Welcome. You are in the right place if you like peer reviewed studies! There’s plenty studies posted here to help you make an informed evidence based decision.

Thank you. I read all 26 pages of your battle with weight and trees. Thank you for sharing. My biggest concern is re gain that's why I'm looking more toward DS. Seems you still struggled a lot even with DS. Being big never bothered me much until the health problems started.

Thank you. I read all 26 pages of your battle with weight and trees. Thank you for sharing. My biggest concern is re gain that's why I'm looking more toward DS. Seems you still struggled a lot even with DS. Being big never bothered me much until the health problems started.
Just know I am not typical! Most people do better than me! I should have picked a different surgeon. Maybe I would have done better and maybe not! Read this one too. It is about my H and sister. https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/ds-for-diabetes-dans-story.355/

I have been ridiculously healthy since my surgery. Fingers crossed it continues. I wish the same for you.

My surgeon has said he might not be able to do the DS because I had my gallbladder out a long time ago and scar tissue might prevent him from doing the surgery. He thinks I should have just a sleeve done as a backup plan, but I am a very all or nothing kind of person so I am leaning toward nothing if he gets in there and can't do it.

My surgeon has said he might not be able to do the DS because I had my gallbladder out a long time ago and scar tissue might prevent him from doing the surgery. He thinks I should have just a sleeve done as a backup plan, but I am a very all or nothing kind of person so I am leaning toward nothing if he gets in there and can't do it.
I would definitely seek a second opinion. I had a revision from a RNY (gastric bypass) to the DS. I know my surgeon encountered scar tissue from my previous surgery but I was still able to get the DS.

Gall bladder removal is an extremely common operation, and especially so in the MO as gallstones are more common in the MO than in the general population. It therefore stands to reason that MANY people seeking bariatric surgery have had their gall bladders removed already, and experienced bariatric surgeons know how to deal with the resultant scar tissue. Of course, there will be the occasional patient who has really terrible adhesions in just the wrong place to make the DS more hazardous, but there is no way to know this until the surgeon gets in there.
Is your surgeon experienced with the DS? If so, he/she has probably dealt with this potential issue many times before. If not, is this the right surgeon for you?
Personally, I would consider the sleeve as a back up plan and would NOT consider RNY gastric bypass as a back up, but you may feel otherwise. Either way, make very sure you and your surgeon are on the same page on this issue, as you don't want to wake up with an operation you don't want.

Gall bladder removal is an extremely common operation, and especially so in the MO as gallstones are more common in the MO than in the general population. It therefore stands to reason that MANY people seeking bariatric surgery have had their gall bladders removed already, and experienced bariatric surgeons know how to deal with the resultant scar tissue. Of course, there will be the occasional patient who has really terrible adhesions in just the wrong place to make the DS more hazardous, but there is no way to know this until the surgeon gets in there.
Is your surgeon experienced with the DS? If so, he/she has probably dealt with this potential issue many times before. If not, is this the right surgeon for you?
Personally, I would consider the sleeve as a back up plan and would NOT consider RNY gastric bypass as a back up, but you may feel otherwise. Either way, make very sure you and your surgeon are on the same page on this issue, as you don't want to wake up with an operation you don't want.
I guess my problem is.... I don't know if he brought up the previous surgery as a potential issue as a legitimate obstacle, or to steer me to another surgery. I am afraid if I give him the green light to do a sleeve if he can't safely do a DS,I will justwake up with a sleeve. On the flip side if I say DS or nothing will he do a DS even if he is not experienced at them? He has brought up RNY several times and that is just NOT what I want. He says he does DS. His PA says he does DS, but I feel this is not a surgery you let someone do that occasionally does them. On his website it says it is usually an open surgery, but he keeps saying he does davinci robotic surgery. Why not fix your website? I'm to the point of approval for surgery and don't want to start over with another surgeon, but I don't want to get surgery with the wrong doctor just to get it done.
I've done psych, nutrition, lost 24 lbs, endoscope, all the required visits.... uggggg. Lol
At least I will get my hiatal hernia I didn'tknow I had repaired. My endoscope showed a larger than normal amount of bile juices in my stomach which is another reason I think DS is the best option for me.
Question, is diarrhea that DS patients sometimes get worse than the diarrhea you sometimes get after gall bladder surgery?

Latest posts

Back