New member Question about re-sleeve

I eat good old fashioned pizza about once or twice a month.

That said ,while I was in the losing phase and trying to limit carbs, I ate the gluten free "crustless" option from a local pizzeria, which has a massive sausage, rather than crust, under the sauce and cheese. Yum!

Can anyone let me know how many vitamins or minerals they take per day and how often and with or without food? I already know I will be good with my protein and water intake and can do the vitamins, but I am worried about not being able to eat carbs. They are my downfall, so how do you stop. Also, can you drink Lattes from starbucks? I am addicted to them too..
Thanks for any advise!

Can anyone let me know how many vitamins or minerals they take per day and how often and with or without food? I already know I will be good with my protein and water intake and can do the vitamins, but I am worried about not being able to eat carbs. They are my downfall, so how do you stop. Also, can you drink Lattes from starbucks? I am addicted to them too..
Thanks for any advise!
Start with the Vitalady list, which also has a break down of when to take it. You don't have to buy from her altho it would be wonderful if you did. I buy from Costco for a few things and Amazon for the rest. Once you are post op and getting lab work, then start tweaking based on YOUR labs which is why no one can predict how many vitamins you will eventually need.

I do take mine with food (or just before or just after). I've also been known to take them on an empty stomach.

Its not a case of "can't" eat carbs but you SHOULD limit carbs, making sure most are dairy or green veggie type. (ONCE HEALED). Stay away from bread, pasta, rice, potatoes if you can. This is especially true in the first 2 years or til in maintenance.

You need to stop focusing on having a pity party about what you CAN’T have (really, “shouldn’t have,” because the only one making your food choices is you), and pay attention to what you can eat. Which is high protein, high fat, in small amounts, frequently. Your hunger can be satiated, but not with crap.

You are NOT addicted to lattes. You buy them because you want them. If you continue to drink them after having s DS, you will not lose as much weight, you will then regain, and you will likely gross yourself and everyone around you out from your lactose-induced farts (plus your gas will likely be quite painful). Or maybe you won’t become lactose-intolerant and you’ll just waste your window of opportunity to lose weight, and regain.

Ditto other carbs.

If you actually think you’re “addicted” to these foods that you know damned well are bad for you, to the extent you think you won’t be able to stop eating them when your life and health depend on it, or at least your ability to socialize with people who have functioning noses, then you likely need some therapy before you get your DS.

I know you’re new. I am the Bad Cop, giving you a dose of reality along with the encouragement. The DS is serious and powerful surgery. It is the easiest to live with, because you don’t have to feel deprived - but you can’t eat crap and you have to OBSESS about protein and vitamin and mineral intake and monitoring FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!! No excuses. You can die from it if you don’t. This is serious surgery. But I daresay most of the vets here, who take their self-care and advocacy seriously, would say it is the best thing they ever did for themselves.

I was a bit worried about what I would be able to eat. I can eat anything with in reason. I do eat a lot of carbs through dairy products - I have ice cream and/or a latte every day. Most days both. I don't waste my carbs on breads or pasta much. I eat a little now and then. But, I just wont do it, I want Ice and Latte's. Never craved breads. Keep my carbs under 100 grams a day for the most part. You just need to choose your carbs wisely.

In terms of the sleeve vs. the DS. Dr Rabkin (Bay Area's DS doc) said to me if I had the sleeve I could not have the ice cream and lattes, with the DS, I just don't absorb the fat, so that is why it works.

I eat a ton of fat, loads and loads and I love it. Salad dressing, olive oil bacon, bacon, and more bacon. etc.

What I miss is eatting alot of food, not the type of food. But, you know what. ITS WORTH IT.

Last edited:
A good choice at Starbucks is whatever coffee you want plus HWC(breve) and any SF sweetener you want. Same thing at home, use HWC because it has no carbs!!! There is nothing you can't have. But some choices are better than others.

Drinking sugar is one of the worst things you can do postop.

Last edited:
I eat good old fashioned pizza about once or twice a month.

That said ,while I was in the losing phase and trying to limit carbs, I ate the gluten free "crustless" option from a local pizzeria, which has a massive sausage, rather than crust, under the sauce and cheese. Yum!
I am trying this one! Thanks! Maybe use sweet Italian sausage for the crust and just make individual pizzas.

Have you noticed Trader Joes, now has cauliflower pizza crust in the freezer section
I have seen it. Haven't tried it yet. Don't love or hate the cauliflower 'crust' but anything I have to haul out(and clean) the food processor for had better be darn good!

My PCP will order the labs I need, but I do not know how to interpret them. I would love a doctor that does to guide me appropriately. I just got back from dinner and had a piece of pizza, so what do you eat in place of pizza? That is my favorite unhealthy food..

Hi. We eat Brok's Pizza.

Brok's Low Carb Pizza Recipe
Jun 23, 2009

8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 eggs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil, optional
Toppings of your choice *

Mix the cheeses, eggs, garlic powder and basil well. Line a 16-inch pizza pan
with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Evenly spread the cheese mixture in the
pan, almost to the edge, making it as thin as possible. Bake at 450º 15-20 minutes
until golden brown. I suggest checking it after about 10 minutes. If it's getting very
dark on the edges and top, turn the oven down to 400º and continue baking until
brown all over and no longer pale on the bottom. Pat off any excess grease then
add your toppings. Keeping the oven rack in the center position, put the pizza
under the broiler until the toppings are hot and any cheese you added is
melted and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.

Makes 8 servings
Can be frozen
yummy

* You may want to sauté your mushrooms, peppers and other vegetable toppings
before using because the pizza will only be baked briefly with the toppings on. I also
recommend pre-warming any meat toppings as well. I put all of my toppings, except
the sauce and cheese, in a big skillet and heated them up together.

Latest posts

Back