Looking for some help while saying Hello :)

GingerRose

Hi everyone -
Thanks for adding me. HW 285 SW 265 LW 195 CW 263
I did a bit of lurking and reading before posting to try and get some more info in regards to the DS.
About me - my name is Abby, I'm 40 years old and had the sleeve back in 2014 and was kinda successful with it, though I was hopeful of losing more than what I did.
After 2 miscarriages and working full time while getting my bachelors degree, any success I had went quickly to the wayside as the weight began to creep back on.
Fast forward to now and I am back up to my surgery weight and feeling defeated and ashamed.
My doctor did an EGD which found a hiatal hernia and also my GERD is causing havoc on my esophagus.
My doctor recommended the DS and we went ahead and sent it over to insurance who promptly denied for "not medically necessary."
After doing a bit more digging in my insurance, I found it does state in the policy that I have to have a BMI of 50 or over to be seen as eligible for that.
My doctor has a peer to peer set up with them for this Friday but his assistant stated she was pretty sure the decision would not be overturned as "we have this issue with BCBSIL all the time and they are rigid on that particular number." So, obviously, I am feeling even more depressed as I am following her logic that Friday will not bring about the answer I want to hear.
So here I am now and after reading through some of your posts I see that a number of you went to Mexicali Bariatric Center. I contacted them and they were quick to reply with some great information.
One big question I have for you all though is - for those that went there did you go alone or with your spouse/friend? As I am thinking about this as an option, I am curious if it would be doable to do on my own or if I would really need to have my hubby or someone with me.
Another question that I have is - in speaking with Mexicali they are able to re-sleeve and do the DS or just do the DS - just wanted to see what everyone's experiences were if they were re-sleeved and if they weren't. I am not sure what option is best so just hoping to hear and learn from your knowledge.
Thanks again for your time and help! I appreciate it :)

Welcome. I am unable to answer your questions because my situation was very different. I had the RNY in 2005 and a revision to the standard DS in 2012. Needing a revision is stressful and creates all types of anxiety.

You have come to the right place for information. I am sure someone with more knowledge regarding your situation will chime in with useful information.

Hi MsVee
I am looking to see if RNY to DS would be an option for me. I'm stalled and not losing and really need something else. I have PCOS and weight loss has always been a huge struggle.

HI and Welcome GingerRose! I have BCBSIL so understand the struggle. Wishing you all the best. There are a few here who were pleased with results from Mexicali. Hopefully they will chime in.

GingerRose hi and welcome! Mexicali has been a great resource for a lot of people (I'm not one so can't comment on personal experience). As to whether or not you should have a re-sleeve, this is an individual decision based on your symptoms and on how your sleeve was done. I was just reading an article about this and there is a surprising (to me) amount of variation as to how much dissection is done around different parts of the stomach and how this can make a difference in rates of complications, including reflux. So this is something to discuss with a potential surgeon; I don't think we can help with this decision.
Hi also to Hillary S . RNY to DS is a much more complex revision than sleeve to DS, with a substantial complication rate, and there are only a few surgeons who do it. There is a list on the website someplace (southernlady can direct you to the list) and they don't do it in Mexicali. Depending on where you are, you will probably need to travel to get to the right surgeon, but the inconvenience of travel is worth it to get the care you need in the best hands.

GingerRose hi and welcome! Mexicali has been a great resource for a lot of people (I'm not one so can't comment on personal experience). As to whether or not you should have a re-sleeve, this is an individual decision based on your symptoms and on how your sleeve was done. I was just reading an article about this and there is a surprising (to me) amount of variation as to how much dissection is done around different parts of the stomach and how this can make a difference in rates of complications, including reflux. So this is something to discuss with a potential surgeon; I don't think we can help with this decision.
Hi also to Hillary S . RNY to DS is a much more complex revision than sleeve to DS, with a substantial complication rate, and there are only a few surgeons who do it. There is a list on the website someplace (southernlady can direct you to the list) and they don't do it in Mexicali. Depending on where you are, you will probably need to travel to get to the right surgeon, but the inconvenience of travel is worth it to get the care you need in the best hands.
Thank you for the advice Larra. :) You are right for sure and I will discuss that with the surgeon when I get there. As of this morning, I have a surgery date of 12/30 with Mexicali and I am ecstatic. Finally feeling some hope after a long time of feeling hopeless.

Last edited:
I had a virgin DS from Dr Wilhelmy in MexicalI for $10k. Pros: I have been told from various scans that my DS surgery was done flawlessly. The facility was clean and efficient and I’m glad I chose them. The week I was there is now a blur due to the drugs, but I stayed another 4 or so days at a Holiday Inn in San Diego before flying home, to give myself more healing time before a long flight. Like many bariatric patients say, I wish I had done the surgery sooner. Cons: Their aftercare is nonexistent due to the distance and they are not that easy to get to. Some things get lost in translation and they are keen to make money. (Who isn’t I guess.) I did go alone and that was fine. After surgery I had 2 ER visits and a raging H.pylori bacterial infection in my belly but it had been on board for some time.

I had a virgin DS from Dr Wilhelmy in MexicalI for $10k. Pros: I have been told from various scans that my DS surgery was done flawlessly. The facility was clean and efficient and I’m glad I chose them. The week I was there is now a blur due to the drugs, but I stayed another 4 or so days at a Holiday Inn in San Diego before flying home, to give myself more healing time before a long flight. Like many bariatric patients say, I wish I had done the surgery sooner. Cons: Their aftercare is nonexistent due to the distance and they are not that easy to get to. Some things get lost in translation and they are keen to make money. (Who isn’t I guess.) I did go alone and that was fine. After surgery I had 2 ER visits and a raging H.pylori bacterial infection in my belly but it had been on board for some time.
Thank you for sharing your experience LorettaLynn. I am happy to hear so many people had such a great experience with them. So far all of my interaction with Karla and Nina have been very pleasant and helpful! Gearing up for the 20th and can't wait! :)

I took my sis with me but I would have been good alone. Virgin DS here in 2016. My experience there was great, I can’t think of anything to say as a con. Dr. Esquerra did mine.

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back