New member Question about re-sleeve

Georgia gal

Hi,
I had the single incision gastric sleeve done in June 2016 by Dr. Garcia in Tijuana. I never got close to goal weight, and have re-gained about 75% back. I am constantly hungry and can eat large portions. I contacted Nina at Mexicali Bariatric Center and she said this is common with single incision sleeves and they have fixed patients from Dr. Garcia with success. She said they do not do single incision sleeves due to this issue. My question is should I use Dr Esquerra or Dr Wilhelmy for this? I know Dr. Esquerra is vetted for DS, which she said could be an option based on my barium swallow test, but if I do get the re-sleeve would Dr. Wilhelmy be better for that? Nina said she thinks I will be successful with the re-sleeve since I am active, but I am just so worrried I will still have this hunger that was not as bad as before I had the initial sleeve done...
Thanks for any help or advise,
Tiffany

Welcome Georgia gal
My question? Based on your personal history before you had the sleeve, did you diet a lot, combatting regain if you stopped? If so, the sleeve, regardless of how it was done, wasn’t a good option anyway. Resleeving may fix the mechanics of it but not keep weight off long term.

Failure to maintain weight loss is a big problem with just the sleeve. If you are going for a revision, go for the big gun...the DS.

Last edited:
Either of those docs are just fine. HOWEVER... You have already proved the sleeve doesn't work for you. The reality of the sleeve is that it's just another diet with a smaller stomach. Why reinvest in another strictly restrictive procedure you already know won't work for you? And the number of the incisions has nothing to do with the success or failure of the surgery!

Welcome and I hope you will choose wisely!

I really do think the DS is the best surgery. I was really hoping the sleeve would help me eat less and take the hunger hormone away, but it has not. I have always felt like I have been on a diet since a very young age. Lose, regain, lose and gain more. The struggle is real! I think about food all the time. I think about needing to lose weight all the time. I think about how uncomfortable I am in my clothes and don't want to go in public all the time. I hide what I am eating from my husband all the time. I hate I have this relationship with food. I want to just not think about being hungry and not worry about what I am eating next. Do you still get really hungry with the DS? Do you feel full on small portions?

Also, I am 40 this year. Is that a good age to have DS or is it too young? Is anyone from metro Atlanta that has a good doctor to help with labs to make sure I am in range with my vitamin and minerals?

I really do think the DS is the best surgery. I was really hoping the sleeve would help me eat less and take the hunger hormone away, but it has not. I have always felt like I have been on a diet since a very young age. Lose, regain, lose and gain more. The struggle is real! I think about food all the time. I think about needing to lose weight all the time. I think about how uncomfortable I am in my clothes and don't want to go in public all the time. I hide what I am eating from my husband all the time. I hate I have this relationship with food. I want to just not think about being hungry and not worry about what I am eating next. Do you still get really hungry with the DS? Do you feel full on small portions?
Then GO for the big monte! Its not so much it takes our hunger away, it's just as long as we focus on protein and fat first and avoid carbs, esp bread/pasta type, then eating like a hobbit works well. You know, first breakfast, second breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, tea, snack, supper, second supper, bedtime snack. I average eating every two hours and I am maintaining my weight loss since I had my DS 7 plus years ago.
Also, I am 40 this year. Is that a good age to have DS or is it too young? Is anyone from metro Atlanta that has a good doctor to help with labs to make sure I am in range with my vitamin and minerals?
Every age is the right age. The only ones too young or too old...those who are still under 18 who do not have their parents on board and those too old to do elective surgery one.

As far as someone in Atlanta, look to see if Dr. Fritz Jean-Pierre's office has meetings. Go and talk to the patients. If you are on FB, friend me and I will pass along your info to a DSer in Atlanta

Thank you so much! How do I find you on Facebook? I see your surgery weight was similar to mine for sleeve, but I am also very short. The only thing I worry about with the DS is ensuring I get the proper vitamins and minerals. It terrifies me that something could be overlooked, so if you have a hook up in Atlanta, that would be amazing. I really think support is so important. My husband does not understand why I cannot just eat less to lose weight, so it is really frustrating for me to explain to him that I am always hungry. I workout all the time and would love to have to stop the battle of how many calories did I burn so I can eat type thing. It is so overwhelming. I want to continue to exercise, but I don't want to feel guilty if I just don't have the energy to do so. I am sorry for being long winded, but I really appreciate you responding and any help cause this is a life changing decision!!

Thank you so much! How do I find you on Facebook? I see your surgery weight was similar to mine for sleeve, but I am also very short. The only thing I worry about with the DS is ensuring I get the proper vitamins and minerals. It terrifies me that something could be overlooked, so if you have a hook up in Atlanta, that would be amazing. I really think support is so important. My husband does not understand why I cannot just eat less to lose weight, so it is really frustrating for me to explain to him that I am always hungry. I workout all the time and would love to have to stop the battle of how many calories did I burn so I can eat type thing. It is so overwhelming. I want to continue to exercise, but I don't want to feel guilty if I just don't have the energy to do so. I am sorry for being long winded, but I really appreciate you responding and any help cause this is a life changing decision!!
IF you click the word me (that is in red), it will lead you to my FB profile.

I read what you wrote about yoyoing and I've feel you pain. Been there done that and the hidding food, the not feeling good, thinking about dieting all the time, etc.

So, I was a virgin DS and the bottom line on why I choose it is that the data says it's the one that works and what I have come to learn is the DS is forgiving and allows people to eat a lot of fat. The others don't. The sleeve is NOT forgiving. When i got my DS with Dr. Esquerra, there was a woman there who had a the sleeve and then, got a revision to the DS. She said the Sleeve was a lot of work. The DS is easier and works better. That about sums it up for me.

Welcome!
We see a lot of people revising from sleeve even when done with more than one incision. How sad, though, that surgeons have focused on, and (in some cases) marketed themselves, based on fewer tiny scars rather than on what would actually accomplish the goal of the surgery.
Given your history of weight struggle since childhood, etc it does sound like the DS would be a better option than a sleeve, even a properly done sleeve. The vitamin element is very important, as you clearly know, but if you'll willing to be an informed patient, advocate for yourself, and accept that this is a lifetime commitment, you should be fine. Your pcp can order the necessary labs for you, and if he/she won't, it's time for a new and improved pcp. You can follow the labs yourself to make sure you are staying well within normal range and not trending downwards.
Keep in researching, and you'll make the decision that's best for you.

My PCP will order the labs I need, but I do not know how to interpret them. I would love a doctor that does to guide me appropriately. I just got back from dinner and had a piece of pizza, so what do you eat in place of pizza? That is my favorite unhealthy food..

Dough-free pizza! Just the toppings. Make sure you completely understand the vit/min requirements for the DS before you decide. It is a lifelong commitment.

Latest posts

Back