New anti-obesity campaign. What do you think?

Wowsa! Very intense and effective. I'm in favor of it as a means to educate/remind the public of the dangers of morbid obesity. But I do fear a further worsening of attitudes towards obese folks, if that was even possible, such as discrimination in the work place. It seems that the last people groups on Earth it is socially acceptable to malign and mock openly is the obese, and those daring to hold Judeo/Christian beliefs. Note the comedians on late night television, stand ups, etc. I also hope the education offered to the obese isn't the same government crap they've been spewing for 60 yrs now, about eating 60% carbs , etc. This was all contrived by our corporate masters like Proctor and Gamble, Kellogs, etc. who want us all eating their grains. Low carb, as we all know now, is the key to good health and is the way human beings were meant to eat. Thank you Kirmy for posting that! I think for those folks living in denial it could be just the kind of commercial that could prompt them to seek help like we have.

Mind fuck versus genetics? All I know is this could be my step-grandson in a few years. Born to two diabetics with their own health problems, I can see it happening to him. His dad died at age 42, yet that was a combination of several factors, the least of which was alcoholism. I do agree with Will about the late night comedians. I quit watching Leno after hearing way too many digs and jokes at fat people's expense. Good post and good response, Kirmy and Will.

I just played that (with the sound down, as I'm having my coffee and listening to jazz this am..) It's damn spooky, that looked like my childhood.. period.

While I agree that not EVERYONE got MO, SMO, or SSMO from eating junk.. I do still believe that the vast, vast majority did not gain to the size of needing medical intervention on meat, veggies, fats, and occasional healthy carbs.. aka real food in normal amounts. To dismiss that reality is at least for me akin to giving up my own power over my actions and choices that I made. I refuse to deny what made me obese, I ate too much, and waaay too much of the wrong shit too often.. I am not saying that my reality is anothers, but I am also saying I think mine is more common than rare among the MO set.

I have mixed opinions on that video. It definitely triggered an emotional reaction, and I think that might be something that would be beneficial for showing in a parenting class or on one of the million websites for parents-to-be, as a lesson in "what you can unintentionally do to your kid with junk food" but I also think it could make those negative opinions that "normal" people have about fat folks, amplified. I know that I have struggled with binge eating issues for as long as I can remember- I have 3 distinct memories of unintentionally making myself throw up from eating too much, the earliest of which was 4 years old. I don't know how that happened, but I'm pretty sure anything that goes on with a child that young is from genetics or parenting. But did the world care that I've had serious food issues my whole life or did everyone just see me as someone who needed to exercise and stop eating cookies?

I was trained to comfort eat. If it stigmatises shitty parenting then good. If it just stigmatises fat people then bad. I related to the guy on the couch, the drive through and the struggle to keep up. It hit home for me.

I refuse to deny what made me obese, I ate too much, and waaay too much of the wrong shit too often.. I am not saying that my reality is anothers, but I am also saying I think mine is more common than rare among the MO set.

this is me, too - and what Kirmy said about what/who is stigmatized.

and yet I can see the other side, too. bottom line, mixed feelings.

it is well done, for sure.

I found it disturbing and disliked it. As a parent, I don't see it as remotely helpful. As a former SMO person, I found it reinforced stigmas.

For me, it highlighted that most of the eaters, and some of the feeders, had problems...physiological and psychological...that needed a solution. And that the food/food choice, for whatever reason, temporarily caused that pain to stop.

But I hope that people realize that EVERYTHING available today is no more than a stopgap measure. Someday, the neurological control button...I'm convinced there is one...will be located and utilized.

Personally I think it just PLAYS into the "it's your own fault for being obese" mindset. If you would JUST exercise and not eat junk, you will lose weight.

Not EVERYONE that is overweight fits that mold. But it just reinforces that mindset.
I also agree with this, yet I've seen way too many parents give in to the demands of their children for junk. That includes the video games as well as the food. A few years back we rented a beach house and the kids and grand's came from CO. I made everyone a bag with sunscreen and other beach stuff including books for the kids; Twenty Leagues Under the Sea and Treasure Island. They only read the books when they were stranded in the airport and ran out of power for their devices. That's why I was wondering how much of the obesity problem is hereditary versus environment. That's why I like Spiky's post above. Said grandson with all the problems at age 14 has a genetic history that isn't all that great. His mom hasn't taken that into account and freely admits she'd rather give in than fight the problem.

ETA: I liked everyone's post until I realized that my every like would show up in the recent activity notifications. This is one part of this site that irritates me. Or is it the way I'm reading? Anyway, I'm enjoying all the thoughts on this.

Last edited:
I was at Sam's club yesterday, there were two MO people checking. It made me happy to see that someone gave them enough credit to be able to do the job required. Doesn't happen often enough and campaigns like this could undermine this progress.

For kids on the margins, who could go either way, I think educating parents to not use food as comfort or reward could be helpful. For kids themselves, there could be some effect of seeing their "normal" unhealthy behaviors in a negative light. But I didn't see a stereotypical fat shaming there - just showing the consequences. Maybe I'm not as sensitive as some.

Latest posts

Back