Huh.... do you get this study?

galaxygrrl

The new study, which followed patients who had all four types of weight loss surgery over a 40 year-span, was based on medical records of patients selected from the Utah Population Database (UPB). The patients were matched by age, gender, and BMI with patients who did not have bariatric surgery.

The four types of surgery were gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric banding, and duodenal switch. All but the duodenal switch procedure were associated with a decreased risk of mortality among patients who had them. Unlike most previous researchers, the scientists also found men who had the surgery had the same reduction in all-cause long-term mortality risk as women.

Does that make any sense to you?

The new study, which followed patients who had all four types of weight loss surgery over a 40 year-span, was based on medical records of patients selected from the Utah Population Database (UPB). The patients were matched by age, gender, and BMI with patients who did not have bariatric surgery.

The four types of surgery were gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric banding, and duodenal switch. All but the duodenal switch procedure were associated with a decreased risk of mortality among patients who had them. Unlike most previous researchers, the scientists also found men who had the surgery had the same reduction in all-cause long-term mortality risk as women.

Does that make any sense to you?

I glanced at the SOS study and earlier articles. One said the DS is obsolete?

Anyway, IF the conclusions are accurate…the first thing that came to mind was that, at least in the past, only the VERY heaviest, VERY sickest patients were allowed to get the DS. If that assumption (mine) has any value, it would mean that many of the DS patients were far closer to death at the git-go.

OTOH, the comments about the nutritional and related issues do, I think, have some validity. But a HUGE part of post-DS health has to do with RIGOROUSLY (meaning more than annually) checking blood values and supplementing as needed.

I could have been better at this.

Latest posts

Back