What the Huh? Childhood Obesity Article

k9ophile

Updated childhood obesity treatment guidelines include medications, surgery for some young people | CNN
I suppose in extreme cases, WLS for people as young as 13 might be necessary. However, I see a lot of damaged people who aren't mature enough to becomplaint.

An excerpt: Treatment for younger children should focus on behavior and lifestyle treatment for the entire family, including nutrition support and increased physical activity. For children 12 and older, use of weight loss medications is appropriate, in addition to health behavior therapy and lifestyle treatment, AAP says. Teens 13 and older with severe obesity should be evaluated for surgery, according to the guidelines.

Yikes!

Last edited:
I've seen that article too. Bariatric surgery for teens would be, as you say, for extreme cases only, and only after trying other interventions, up to and including medications, esp now that some effective medications are available (or will be when supply issues resolve). What I foresee happening, though, is insurers not approving teens for anything other than the usual, almost guaranteed not to be effective but cheaper in the short term, sessions with nutritionists, etc.
The main point of the article is that behavioral interventions, counseling, etc with the child and family are now proven to be, at best, minimally effective. This is evidence-based medicine. Thus, the need to treat more aggressively, and sooner rather than later, to avoid the problems we are know about down the line. However, since insurance companies think only in terms of how little we can spend this quarter, every case is going to turn into a fight. I don't envision a bunch of teens having bariatric surgery any time soon.

Good point about insurance. I guess my concerns are based on discussions about becoming senile and the consequences of non-compliance. I thought about that a lot when I had my surgery at age 58. Considering some of things I did as a teen, I can't imagine I would have been a success story.

Bottom line I want everyone who wants to change to be given the same opportunities I had to fight to get for myself.

Just a little story about nutrition. One of my BFFs back in college was one of those naturally thin people who maintained effortlessly and had done so all her life. She was not dumb and this was before the internet. She had noticed a 5lb weight gain and wanted to lose the weight. So she put herself on a diet.

Several weeks later she came to me, probably because I was ALWAYS on a diet, and complained her diet wasn’t working. And she had even gained another pound. I asked what she was eating. She told me she was only allowed 2 foods. Wait for it…. Doritos and chocolate milk. Seriously. And she could not understand why she wasn’t losing. Of course I set her straight immediately. And I also explained that if you could lose weight eating food you love, there would be no fat people. It was my fault she was introduced to the dry green salad and it is the reason she is still in size 6 jeans at almost 70.

There are more than a few people out there who are clueless about nutrition, diets, and how to lose weight. My friend didn’t have a clue. So yes, I would do nutritional counseling first! For the whole family!

A basic course in nutrition should be required at least in high school. That would have been more useful than the organic chemistry I took.

Additionally, I know poverty affects food choices. Inexpensive, highly processed food is the choice of many. Some are not educated, yet those who may know what's best for them can't afford it. Or cooking may be challenging with a proper stove and cook ware. Who among us hasn't taken the time/effort to roast a chicken and visited the Colonel instead?
ETA found this on FB. Pounds, dollars, euros, whatever, It looks like a universal problem.

Last edited:
A LOT of courses should be required in school but aren’t. Too busy getting them ready for college that many really don’t need. We don’t need every student to be a doctor or lawyer, we also need trade school graduates. Personal pet peeve of mine. Especially since finding trades people is so damned hard. We personally have a shortage of electricians in this area. We know how to do most of our own plumbing. Making a mistake in how you do a pipe fitting usually just gets you wet not dead.

And then there are many who live in food deserts. Our closest grocery store is within walking distance and is thankfully a reasonably well stocked option, but not everyone is so lucky, even here. For those that don’t have a close option, you take what you can get.

Latest posts

Back