My Surgeon just debunked everything I have learned on here..

marissamast

3X to small in 13 mos. Love my DS
My surgeon called me in for an appointment yesterday...I didn't know why. It was to call me on the carpet about things I had posted on the RMAP (his practice) web site about the difference between RNY and DS diets. He told me that everything I said on there was untrue. That there is no malabsorption - that the 100cc is plenty of room to absorb - that there is no problem with oil based vitamins - that they have been redesigned so that they absorb now. There there is no need for more than a really good multivitamin that has all your ADEK vitamins. That I should be eating the same as a RNY patient - 70% protien, 30% vegetables, that there is no need for additional fat intake. That he is very involved in Bariatric care and he has never heard of this Dr K.....He does not do blood work until one year. I don't know what to think now. :( I take that back. I do know what to think. :)

Last edited:
Please disregard, I looked at your details by hovering over your avator. We have the same surgeon.

RMAP - Rocky Mountain somethingorother - SIMPER, Smith and McKinlay. If Simper believes this, I'm appalled. The others probably don't get it.

Just a pre op and a newbie, but I would say that it's not wise to throw out all of this verifiable evidence you have collected, I hope, that demonstrates, from years of experience of DS'ers, including those who are scientifically and medically trained, that everything your surgeon said is bullshit. It makes no sense. Like NONE. And no tests for one year? Afaik, it's standard practice to get tests done at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 month marks in the first year. I am assuming you've had the DS. It's different from the RNY, needless to say, and these anatomical differences account for the different post op diets.

If he hasn't even heard of fucking Dr. K, what kind of surgeon he is? in addition to the hilariously unscientific info. he fed you for advice, it's hard to respect what he is saying. Please don't commit the mistake of taking his word for things only because he has "Doctor" before his name. It's fallacious thinking.

I apologize to long term DS'ers if I sound overzealous here, for a Pre-op. But, I just can't wrap my head around a surgeon not knowing Dr. K and giving such ridic advice. Maybe it's common for surgeons? Whatever it is, OP, this is not a cause for an existential crisis. You don't need to and shouldn't throw out everything you have learnt, from people who have been living with the surgery for years and provide excellent, scientifically sound explanations, far surpassing anything the doctor served you, about the how and WHY of DS living.

Last edited:
Just a pre op and a newbie, but I would say that it's not wise to throw out all of this verifiable evidence you have collected, I hope, that demonstrates, from years of experience of DS'ers, including those who are scientifically and medically trained, that everything your surgeon said is bullshit. It makes no sense. Like NONE. And no tests for one year? I am assuming you've had the DS.

If he hasn't even heard of fucking Dr. K, what kind of surgeon he is? in addition to the hilariously unscientific info. he fed you for advice, it's hard to respect what he is saying. Please don't commit the mistake of taking his word for things only because he has "Doctor" before his name. It's fallacious thinking.

I apologize to long term DS'ers if I sound overzealous here, for a Pre-op. But, I just can't wrap my head around a surgeon not knowing Dr. K and giving such ridic advice. Maybe it's common for surgeons? Whatever it is, OP, this is not a cause for an existential crisis. You don't need to and shouldn't throw out everything you have learnt, from people who have been living with the surgery of years and provide excellent, scientifically sound explanations, far surpassing anything the doctor served you, about the how and WHY of DS living.
Amen. I fully agree. I think I will just pull my happy ass off the RMAP group. They irritate me anyways. :)

Amen. I fully agree. I think I will just pull my happy ass off the RMAP group. They irritate me anyways. :)
Heh yeah. Glad I didn't cause offense. I just didn't want you to deal with unnecessary stress by doubting yourself and everything you've learnt, and wondering if you even know what to think going ahead.

p.s. just saw you're a Pre-Op too :D
ugh yeah no fucking way is that sound advice. i am kind of...incredulous here. the consequences of following that advice would decidedly have messy consequences. smh. and def, please don't follow his advice about vites. *shudders* vitalady all the way, for new post Ops at least.

Last edited:
Heh yeah. Glad I didn't cause offense. I just didn't want you to deal with unnecessary stress by doubting yourself and everything you've learnt, and wondering if you even know what to think going ahead.

p.s. just saw you're a Pre-Op too :D
ugh yeah no fucking way is that sound advice. i am kind of...incredulous here. the consequences of following that advice would decidedly have messy consequences. smh. and def, please don't follow his advice about vites. *shudders* vitalady all the way, for new post Ops at least.
No, I had my surgery 11/14. I am 9 weeks out. Down 48 lbs. :)

Latest posts

Back