List of DS surgeons

surgeon: Dr. John "Jack" Ditslear with Community Hospital North Bariatrics and Medical Weight Loss Center (Indianapolis, IN)
email: [email protected]

Dr. Ditslear performed my RNY to DS revision in June 2018. I was his first solo RNY to DS revision and I don't have any long term complications but I was in the hospital for 2 months with sepsis after a leak developed 2 days post-op. There are other surgeons in the Center that list revisions as a specialty but they do not specifically call out DS surgeries on their site.

The Center was really excellent to work with - all of the staff from nutritionists to front office and the physicians are thorough, well informed and compassionate, with the exception of their psychologist (Dr. Stote) - he seemed more invested in degrading me, challenging my research and knowledge and discouraging me - it looks like he is no longer with the center though. He seems to move around from Weight Loss Center to Weight Loss Center frequently and does not have good reviews.

I'm considering getting the Duodental Switch as a revision surgery (formerly a lapband patient - although it was removed about 6 years ago).

Does anyone have any insight into Dr. John Dockins at Evergreenhealth in Kirkland WA. https://www.evergreenhealth.com/health-services/weight-management/bariatric-surgery/duodenal-switch/ . I was pointed in his direction from my cardiologist. The website seems to indicate there is after care support, which I like. Just haven't seen his name mentioned here, but maybe I missed it.

I have an appt with Dr. Shrikanth next week (made before I heard about Dr Dockins). But it sounds like from the person making the appt that there isn't really an after care program.

Dr. Shrikanth is a very well known DS surgeon. I've never heard of Dr. Dockins before, so I looked him up and his info says that he does the DS. If you decide to go with him, I would ask very specifically whether he does the traditional DS with 2 anastamoses or the variously named SIPS SADI etc with only one anastamosis.
As far as aftercare goes, you could ask about that with Dr. Srikanth's office staff, but really after maybe 6-12 months you will be relying on your pcp for labs and won't need much aftercare unless there is a specific reason for it. You could also ask about support groups, which can be very helpful during the first year or so. The most important things are what operation you get and the skill of your surgeon.

Dr. Shrikanth is a very well known DS surgeon. I've never heard of Dr. Dockins before, so I looked him up and his info says that he does the DS. If you decide to go with him, I would ask very specifically whether he does the traditional DS with 2 anastamoses or the variously named SIPS SADI etc with only one anastamosis.
As far as aftercare goes, you could ask about that with Dr. Srikanth's office staff, but really after maybe 6-12 months you will be relying on your pcp for labs and won't need much aftercare unless there is a specific reason for it. You could also ask about support groups, which can be very helpful during the first year or so. The most important things are what operation you get and the skill of your surgeon.
Thank you for advice - I will ask at my appt with Dr. Srikanth

Hi, I’m in Albuquerque, NM, USA. Dr. David May revised my Gastric Sleeve done in March, 2018 to BPD/DS in November, 2022 as I’m still trying to get to a low enough BMI to qualify for bilateral total hip replacement. The sleeve resulted in 200 lb weight loss but not the DS. That’s because of additional medical problems the orthopedic surgeons are ignoring, though. I am basically bedbound because I can no longer walk, I had to have a hysterectomy all of a sudden after a fall and its cancer scare consequences at the same time as the DS, and I suffer with Lipedema and lymphedema in my legs—both connective tissue or fat / soft tissue disorders that render the soft tissue I have to be formed differently. Now, I’m starting to have recurrent leg infections. Idk. I can’t lose weight via calorie reduction. If I starve myself, it seems I still gain?! My metabolism went past that point where it will respond to starvation and I have to find some other balance. I can’t do disruptions via movement so much now, though, because I’m in a tricky situation of having a lot of arthritis to manage. So, I’m just tired. Either surgeons will help me or they won’t. I feel like I can’t run after them any longer. But as far as Bariatric surgery, Dr. May was wonderful, and did a great job. Zero complications. He fixed my stomach and esophagus while he was in there, which had slipped. He noted what he did thoroughly. He was at Optum at the time but now practices with Lovelace Hospital/ Lovelace Healthcare.

Hi, I’m in Albuquerque, NM, USA. Dr. David May revised my Gastric Sleeve done in March, 2018 to BPD/DS in November, 2022 as I’m still trying to get to a low enough BMI to qualify for bilateral total hip replacement. The sleeve resulted in 200 lb weight loss but not the DS. That’s because of additional medical problems the orthopedic surgeons are ignoring, though. I am basically bedbound because I can no longer walk, I had to have a hysterectomy all of a sudden after a fall and its cancer scare consequences at the same time as the DS, and I suffer with Lipedema and lymphedema in my legs—both connective tissue or fat / soft tissue disorders that render the soft tissue I have to be formed differently. Now, I’m starting to have recurrent leg infections. Idk. I can’t lose weight via calorie reduction. If I starve myself, it seems I still gain?! My metabolism went past that point where it will respond to starvation and I have to find some other balance. I can’t do disruptions via movement so much now, though, because I’m in a tricky situation of having a lot of arthritis to manage. So, I’m just tired. Either surgeons will help me or they won’t. I feel like I can’t run after them any longer. But as far as Bariatric surgery, Dr. May was wonderful, and did a great job. Zero complications. He fixed my stomach and esophagus while he was in there, which had slipped. He noted what he did thoroughly. He was at Optum at the time but now practices with Lovelace Hospital/ Lovelace Healthcare.
Welcome, @DLBariatric
Make sure you get your operative report and if you need help reading it, redact personal information and post it.

Latest posts

Back