List of DS surgeons

hi Everyone,
I know this is an old post....but has a list been updated? new DS vetted surgeons?

thanks!
It’s in the works but it’s a massive undertaking reading operative reports once we convince people to share, have a couple of reports on the same surgeon, etc. This would be easy if it wasn’t for the Modified 2 anastomoses DS (very long common channel) and the SADI-S.

Is there a list of vetted DS surgeons for 2022 any where on this forum. I have a friend who is doing research on this issue and she is a good candidate for the DS. We are in NC.

Sadly, I have just learned this morning that my vetted surgeon, Dr. Stephen Boyce in Knoxville TN has retired. I only know this because I contacted the office this morning to gather some information for a friend. I was told that he has retired but that they have two other surgeons. Now, I understand that this happens, but I was just in the office in November of last year and no one bothered to tell me that it had happened or that it was on the horizon. This man has saved my life…twice now.
I’m at a loss because I don’t know what to do moving forward. He was very adamant and I was very compliant in not really allowing anyone else to touch me surgically unless it was an emergency. I have no idea what to do now if something happens involving my DS. 😪

Regardless, it’s good information for the group to update the vetted list with.

Sadly, I have just learned this morning that my vetted surgeon, Dr. Stephen Boyce in Knoxville TN has retired. I only know this because I contacted the office this morning to gather some information for a friend. I was told that he has retired but that they have two other surgeons. Now, I understand that this happens, but I was just in the office in November of last year and no one bothered to tell me that it had happened or that it was on the horizon. This man has saved my life…twice now.
I’m at a loss because I don’t know what to do moving forward. He was very adamant and I was very compliant in not really allowing anyone else to touch me surgically unless it was an emergency. I have no idea what to do now if something happens involving my DS. 😪

Regardless, it’s good information for the group to update the vetted list with.
I had the RNY with Dr. Boyce in 2009 and have maintained a 200+ lb weight loss. I only found out this weekend that he was no longer listed on their New Life Center For Bariatric Surgery website. Dr. Robert Williams was one of the surgeons then and is now listed as the primary surgeon. He may be an alternative since they practiced together. I had no idea Dr. Boyce had retired though and was wondering what happened...

Okay, about two year ago Boyce and Williams split. Williams went back to Parkwest and retained the name “New Life”.

In May of 2023, Boyce retired. I had gotten a hint it was coming. So I wasn’t shocked. He had started cutting back on new surgeries. Wasn’t doing RNY to DS revisions after about Christmas of 2022 according to my sources. He did train replacements but as to whether or not they are capable of a RNY to DS revision, we don’t know. We do know that Dr. Beasley and Dr. Loderio (the ones who took over for Dr.Boyce) are both vetted surgeons, we’ve seen operative reports. He trained both of them just as Dr. Smith from Atlanta trained him. Basically he passed the baton.

Dr. Williams has added the SADI to his list of performed procedures.
The doctors at Tennova have not.

I had talked with Dr Boyce in 2021 just before he rushed me into emergency surgery and felt like he let a few things slip then. I didn’t really have a lot of time to chat him up about those things afterwards obviously. Fast forward to November of last year when I went in for an annual follow-up and he was nowhere to be found but unfortunately the staff in the new office across the parking lot failed to inform me at that time of his exit. I did not find out until today when I called the office and started asking questions. But yes, I was indeed informed that Drs Beasley and Loderio were picked by him and were available for me if I ever needed them or just wanted to meet them. Just a little disappointing that as his patients, we weren’t informed.

Latest posts

Back