Less bariatric surgery being done in UK

According to the Facebook group most of them are going to 2 stage DS as well now.

I wonder if Esquerra is getting patients from the UK? Lots of UK folks were going to Spain back in the day too. And Himpens in Belgium as well.

I wonder if Esquerra is getting patients from the UK? Lots of UK folks were going to Spain back in the day too. And Himpens in Belgium as well.
The FB group has a post discussing HIimper and Baltazar and how they were doing 1 step. Supposedly HImper is doing 1 now from what I read.

@Munchkin that's a good question. While I think it's sad and shameful that they have to leave the UK and self pay for necessary medical care (just like too many Americans) I hope at least some people are getting the care they need.

I looked into Baltasar for my surgery earlier this year, and it seems he's still practicing at least part of the time - he gave me a quote and all the paperwork if I wanted to go through him.

It seems the DS is getting less and less popular in Europe. In the Netherlands we had two hospitals doing the DS (versus about 30 doing GBP and sleeve). One these two still does the DS but only very reluctantly and it looks like the other one has completely gone to doing the SADI.

Here's you answer:

"A possible reason why the rates of surgery are so low is that U.K. general practitioners cannot refer patients directly to surgical services. Instead, there's a "tiered pathway" that patients must go through, starting with social interventions to enhance weight loss (food taxes), then lifestyle interventions with the guidance of a primary care physician, then secondary care including medication, and finally referral to a bariatric surgeon."

Once you are referred to a surgeon, your wait for an initial appointment can take months. Then, you might not even be put on the waiting list at that appointment. So a year down the line, you are put on the waiting list, which can take between 6 months (haha yeah right!) and 2 years.

I was lucky, very luck that I got in before the tier system came in. I still had loads of shit I had to do and deal with, but nothing like the folks do now :/

So to break it down, you decide to have WLS, wait 2 weeks for GP appointment where they refer you to weight management. Getting an appointment for weight management can take 6 months or more. You can be stuck climbing the tiers for 2 years. Then you finally get referred to a surgeon where getting an appointment takes MONTHS. Then a possible 2 more years til surgery.

Yup. And these changed came into effect in 2011 or 2012, which could explain the statistical drop in ops....everyone is jumping through the bloody hoops that take years!

Latest posts

Back