Lab results so for

Barb1

Well here are the lab results my PCP has drawn so for. Defiantly not good and of course some I don't understand some of the results and what they mean. I am hoping for suggestions as to what I need to do at this point. PCP says up my A and calcium.

I am sending Dr. K the results and asking him to either order the labs she didn't or preferably contact my PCP so I can get her on board.

Plasma comprehensive metabolic panel

Result

Expected

Units

Glucose

See *2

65 - 99

mg/dl

Urea nitrogen (BUN)

7 - 25

mg/dl

Creatinine

See *3

0.50 - 0.99

mg/dl

eGFR

> OR = 60

ml/min/1.73 m2

eGFR, African-American

> OR = 60

ml/min/1.73 m2

Urea nitrogen(BUN)/Creatinine

NOT APPLICABLE

6 - 22

calc

Sodium

135 - 146

mmol/L

Potassium, serum

3.5 - 5.3

mmol/L

Chloride

98 - 110

mmol/L

Carbon dioxide

19 - 30

mmol/L

Calcium

Low

8.6 - 10.4

mg/dl

Protein

Low

6.1 - 8.1

g/dl

Albumin

Low

3.6 - 5.1

g/dl

Globulin

1.9 - 3.7

g/dl

Albumin/globulin ratio

1.0 - 2.5

calc

Bilirubin

0.2 - 1.2

mg/dl

Alkaline phosphatase

High

33 - 130

Units/L

Aspartate transaminase (AST)

High

10 - 35

Units/L

Alanine transaminase (ALT)

High

6 - 29

Units/L

Serum cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12)

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Cyanocobalamin

High

200 - 1100

pg/ml

Serum retinol (vitamin A)

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Vitamin A

Low

38 - 98

mcg/d

Serum lipid panel

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Cholesterol

Low

125 - 200

mg/dl

High density lipoprotein (HDL)

Low

> OR = 46

mg/dl

Triglycerides

<150

mg/dl

Low density lipoprotein (LDL), Calculated

See *2

<130

mg/dl

Cholesterol/HDL ratio

< OR = 5.0

calc

Non-HDL cholesterol, calculated

See *3

mg/dl

Serum iron profile

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Iron

40 - 160

mcg/dl

Iron binding capacity, total

Low

250 - 450

mcg/dl

Transferrin saturation

15 - 50

%

Blood pyridoxine (vitamin B6)

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Pyridoxal

See *2

2.1 - 21.7

ng/m

Serum ferritin

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Ferritin

20 - 288

ng/ml

Blood thiamine (vitamin B1)

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Thiamine

78 - 185

nmol/L

Plasma riboflavin [vitamin B2]

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

Riboflavin

6.2 - 39.0

nmol/

Blood cell count (CBC)

Final

See *1

Result

Expected

Units

WBCs

3.8 - 10.8

K/cumm

RBCs

3.80 - 5.10

M/cumm

Hemoglobin

11.7 - 15.5

g/dl

Hematocrit

35.0 - 45.0

%

Mean corpuscular volume (MCV)

80.0 - 100.0

fl

Mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH)

27.0 - 33.0

pg

Mean corpuscular hemoglobin conc. (MCHC)

32.0 - 36.0

g/dl

Red cell distribution width (RDW-CV)

High

11.0 - 15.0

%

Platelets

140 - 400

K/cumm
I am sorry this copied this way. It isn't in the format I copied.

You need iron infusions. Don't let any doc say otherwise. Be a bitch on wheels about that issue.

When your red blood cells are wimpy, NOTHING gets carried well, so other things run low. This makes getting the RBCs plumped up extremely important. For me, this shows the most in the protein related results. If I compare pre and post infusion results, it looks about like I mainlined shakes :).

As you see, your protein related levels are down in icky territory. MORE PROTEIN!!!! But the iron thing could be making those levels look worse than they are.

Your A is so low I'm surprised you are not night blind yet.

I don't see any D results, am I just overlooking them?

Your PCP sounds as useful as my former DO was. I fired her and found a new doctor who knew what the DS was before my first initial appointment. You're missing D, E, and K, as well as PTH. What are you taking for vitamins right now? Drinking any shakes? You need to. Looks like iron infusions are in your immediate future, as well as a huge order from Vitalady, including sublingual and capsule A, so you can hit it from two angles and take some in the middle of the night, too.

I just bought some Optimum Nutrition Rich Chocolate protein powder at GNC that's really good. I drink a double scoop in coffee twice a day, 24g protein per scoop. I've always done the protein coffee thing twice a day. I don't trust getting it all from food, probably never will.

Hopefully some of the more experienced vets will chime in soon. How do you feel?

You need iron infusions. Don't let any doc say otherwise. Be a bitch on wheels about that issue.

When your red blood cells are wimpy, NOTHING gets carried well, so other things run low. This makes getting the RBCs plumped up extremely important. For me, this shows the most in the protein related results. If I compare pre and post infusion results, it looks about like I mainlined shakes :).

As you see, your protein related levels are down in icky territory. MORE PROTEIN!!!! But the iron thing could be making those levels look worse than they are.

Thanks En
I also posted to Jackie a while ago and I do appoligise to everyone for not posting these sooner and sent Dr. K. the results requesting the labs she didn't do. I also asked if he had a letter or could help in some way to get my PCP on board. If he doesn't then I will take Dr. Rabkins lab order and the letter Diana posted to my PCP on the 28th. I really like her so I think I just didn't educate her or give her the right things to read. I will be shopping for a new PCP if I can't when I see her on the 28th. I am hoping Dr. K will tell her that I need iron infusions and i will tell her myself that they are needed. I am eating and digesting more normally now and boy does it feel good. I will up my protein for now. I am pretty much following Vitalady's plan but I do not order from her. I buy some on Amazon and others at the Vitamin Shop afew at Walmart. I use NOW protein.
Thanks Barb

Your PCP sounds as useful as my former DO was. I fired her and found a new doctor who knew what the DS was before my first initial appointment. You're missing D, E, and K, as well as PTH. What are you taking for vitamins right now? Drinking any shakes? You need to. Looks like iron infusions are in your immediate future, as well as a huge order from Vitalady, including sublingual and capsule A, so you can hit it from two angles and take some in the middle of the night, too.

I just bought some Optimum Nutrition Rich Chocolate protein powder at GNC that's really good. I drink a double scoop in coffee twice a day, 24g protein per scoop. I've always done the protein coffee thing twice a day. I don't trust getting it all from food, probably never will.

Hopefully some of the more experienced vets will chime in soon. How do you feel?

Thanks Sheanie
I answered En's reply so please see what I wrote. I am getting in all my vitanins now. I hadn't been because I wasn't able before sugery with Dr. K (scar tissure formed around my sleeve like a bow tie and I had a kink where the bowel crosses the colon and nothing but fluids where getting through) and the it took this old lady longer to heal again.
Barb

Need more A and one that is all retinyl palmitate. It is my understanding that beta carotene does not work so well for us. It can be difficult to find one that is all retinyl palmitate, that is why I always order mine from Vitalady.

Completely wrong A. The ONLY acceptable A for us (I'm simplifying the subject by being so direct; just do it) is Vitalady Tender/Biotech. You might as well not be taking any A with what you're using, and you're going blind by trying to save money on that particular supplement.

Your calcium is also low...and EN is right, I don't see your D but if it is low, I would expect your PTH to be high...
UP the calcium...find out your D and it also needs to be as close to 100 as possible. Also find out your PTH. Raising your calcium and D will lower it tho.

Thank you all

I will order Vita lady A and Iron, money has always been a problem but I didn't order from Vita Lady in the beginning for several reason. When I finally was really healing from the 2010 surgery which took way into 2011 Vitalady DH fell and was having problems herself. I am not computer savvy and could not figure out exactly what to do on her website. I talked to a nice lady but I didn't understand her English real well. I ended up taking her list around with me to find the right ones. Guess that didn't work. D and PTH blood work are part of the blood work my PCP did not order. I did tell the NP they needed to be ordered. She is how I found out that my PCP was not on board with the blood test that I requested, hence why I had to now wait to get fitted into my PCP schedule on the 28th. I NEED TO TALK DIRECTLY TO HER!!

Not yelling just stating bold facts that I am very much aware of. I also so have orders for my mammogram and Dexa scan which is this Thursday.

I will be gone for the day but will check back in this evening.

Barb

Look at the elemental sources of the K1 and K2 on the Biotech labels and see that you duplicate those in whatever you purchase. The MK-whatever is tough to find in other brands in my experience, but the other one can be found.

Latest posts

Back