Just curious--Anyone ever watch my 600 lb life?

Charris

Now an angel
Anyone ever watch that show? The new season is starting soon. I haven't watched it before but guess since I just had surgery I feel compelled to watch it. Who is the doctor on the show? Does he give them DS's of just the RNY?

I saw a couple of these stories and frankly at first I was surprised about the surgeon choosing RnY surgeries for these patients. Then I saw Melissa's story. I believe she weighed 658? She got down to ideal weight. I never thought she would do it but did. Then I started wonder if it was more the patient working the plan verse the plan itself. I don't think her results are typical and obviously her surgery is inferior to the DS. A lot of people go into this sugery thinking that the surgey itself will make them thin. We all have to work the plan.

I saw a couple of these stories and frankly at first I was surprised about the surgeon choosing RnY surgeries for these patients. Then I saw Melissa's story. I believe she weighed 658? She got down to ideal weight. I never thought she would do it but did. Then I started wonder if it was more the patient working the plan verse the plan itself. I don't think her results are typical and obviously her surgery is inferior to the DS. A lot of people go into this sugery thinking that the surgey itself will make them thin. We all have to work the plan.

I think there is a lot of proof that the surgery fails the patient, especially with the RNY. I do know people that it has worked for and I am happy for them! There is a post here from Dr. Michael Roslin about the surgery failing the patient and why.

I think there is a lot of proof that the surgery fails the patient, especially with the RNY. I do know people that it has worked for and I am happy for them! There is a post here from Dr. Michael Roslin about the surgery failing the patient and why.
I agree that the surgery is inferior and less effective that being said DSers have to to follow a plan in order for patients to have success. As far as I know they do not make a surgery where weight comes off and stays off regardless of what you eat?

I watched it once and was so disturbed by it I don't think I can ever watch it again. At the time I watched, I was just a few pounds from 400 myself.

I agree that the surgery is inferior and less effective that being said DSers have to to follow a plan in order for patients to have success. As far as I know they do not make a surgery where weight comes off and stays off regardless of what you eat?

Well, mine so far, although I was compliant with carbs and protein for the first 3 years. Now all I am compliant with is protein. Believe me if I start to gain, that will change in a heartbeat. :D

I wasn't familiar and then in the last two weeks it has been mentioned a few times. I haven't seen it yet, don't know if they have past episodes available for viewing online, but took a fast look at the website for the show and do see video links, if not full episodes. It would be nice if there were shows that actually depicted the DS and the truth about bariatric surgery for a change. I guess its a start they are doing it all.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life

I've watched it for the past two seasons - all RNY. It's more human interest I feel, than promoting a particular WLS. One fellow had a serious relapse and subsequent regain from using meth after he lost weight and had medical issues, another woman regained from going back to old binging habits, etc. If you have Hulu plus you can see past seasons. Shows the ups and the downs of surgery - that it's really a lifestyle change, not a magic pill.

I've seen every episode. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes uplifting, very real. It's RNY, and while I would love to see DS for these people, the show doesn't bash any operations, nor does it bash the people profiled. The patients have different personalities and different lives that have led them to this point. Some of them have relatives that I could cheerfully choke, but that's part of the story.
In some ways I think it's unfortunate that these people have to bare their lives and their souls to get medical treatment they desperately need. But the show does capture how hard their lives are, the risks of the surgery, and how some of them come from, and return to, toxic environments post-op that contributes to the difficulty of recovery from SSMO. And at least here is a surgeon who is willing to take on these difficult cases, which often involve weeks/months of pre-op hospitalization, medical treatment, physical therapy, and sometimes even other operations before they are well enough to have their bariatric surgeries. There aren't many bariatric surgeons out there who will do this when they could easily fill their schedules with patients with a bmi of 40 - 45 and far less comorbidities and disability, and make a damn good living doing so.

I also stopped watching those shows after they never addressed the "feeders" enabling those people. Once they are bedridden, they must have someone feeding them. Those people need watching and therapy, IMHO. Or just a good swift kick. Something.

On another note, I absolutely HATE The Biggest Loser show. IMO, the biggest loser is the person who thought up this television show, which is a very spectacular way to humiliate obese people yet AGAIN. First time I saw them weighing them I about had a stroke. (Those of you who know my aversion to scales understand and sympathize).

Latest posts

Back