Iron problem solved!

Revision

I was having a terrible time with the oral iron supps. Not nausea and constipation, but severe "run-to-the-bathroom" vomiting about 10 mins after I took them, I tired a number of different formulations. Tried switching the schedule. Tried taking it with and without food.

I got a referral to a hematologist who has agreed to treat me with IV iron infusions. I went for my first one a few days ago and it was great (takes about 3.5 hrs...great to have an ipad!). I will be getting one more round before my surgery in 2 weeks, and then he will monitor my levels (Hb and Ferritin) and top me up as needed. We estimate it will likely be 2-3 times per year, but of course that is just a guess and anything can happen.

No more oral iron!!

I have had a low rumbling iron-def anemia since my RNY, but in truth just neglected it. Now, I will be staying on top of all my levels with this and vitamins for the rest of my life. Feels good to be taking control of my own health finally.

Good luck everyone!

Great! Iron was the one supplement I had problems with too. After lots of shots in the dark I finally found iron glycinate. At last, one I can tolerate!

Some people do ONE eight-hour infusion of I don't know how many mg...I bitch and moan when they want me to spend 90 minutes there...so my last go-round was four once-weekly visits, with 500mg per. He wants me back in about three months to see how it's holding.

I gave oral iron a try for months - months of gut agony and my iron going lower. Infusions are SO much easier.
And even when you explain that you are just there for iron, nice people provide comfort stuff to people at the infusion places, since cancer patients are there, too. You don't get that with pills!

I took part in a clinical trial of a new IV iron applying for US use after being used in Europe. It is iron isomaltoside 1000 (Monofer®) and it is a single dose, high speed infusion. Fantastic. I can't wait for it to be approved, because I have done the 3 multiple infusions for the same effect as a single dose 45 minute infusion of Monofer. I need to find a new NY hematologist, because my doc at Cornell moved. I'm hoping I don't have to use venofer again. Can't take oral iron, I was actually hospitalized for intense pain following using it. The goal of the clinical trial was to get enough info for the FDA, but I don't know how long it will take, but I plan to ask for it. I need the infusion every other year, and i know when I need it by the exhaustion.

I took part in a clinical trial of a new IV iron applying for US use after being used in Europe. It is iron isomaltoside 1000 (Monofer®) and it is a single dose, high speed infusion. Fantastic. I can't wait for it to be approved, because I have done the 3 multiple infusions for the same effect as a single dose 45 minute infusion of Monofer. I need to find a new NY hematologist, because my doc at Cornell moved. I'm hoping I don't have to use venofer again. Can't take oral iron, I was actually hospitalized for intense pain following using it. The goal of the clinical trial was to get enough info for the FDA, but I don't know how long it will take, but I plan to ask for it. I need the infusion every other year, and i know when I need it by the exhaustion.
Thanks! Love hearing about new options. Chances are it will be approved lots of places before the US. Might be a great way to write a vacation off your taxes to get medical care!!!

Latest posts

Back