Introduction!

Agerpay

Hi! I'm 3 years post lap band & have not had good results, I was self pay at time & I now have insurance that will cover WLS. The best doctor in Little Rock won't take me because my original doctor shares call with him. I need to have one procedure ( band out & possibly RNY) at same time. Has anyone had this done? Thought I would go sleeve route but now thinking bypass may be better choice. Any thoughts?

Have you really researched ALL the options? We are very partial to the excellent long term results with the DS on this site. Whatever you do, don't butcher yourself with an RNY - but keep in mind that as a failed crapbander, you have already further damaged your metabolism, and will likely need a malabsorptive surgery to have real and long-lasting success.

Welcome! Please don't kick yourself over your lap band results. Lap band has the highest failure rate and highest reoperation rate of any bariatric surgery. You are not alone.
I hope you will carefully research all your revision options. It is usually possible to remove the lap band and do a revision at the same time, so the big question is what revision to have. I agree with @DianaCox that your metabolism may be even more damaged than when you started due to the dieting you were doing with your lap band, and would recommend that you research the DS. The DS has the best statistics of any standard of care bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. Also, it allows you to take NSAIDs, which are contraindicated for the rest of your life with RNY. Even if you don't need NSAIDs now, you may well need them in the future. This is a good website to read about the DS, both the reasons people choose it and also about what it is like to live with it, and the excellent results most people attain with it.
I don't know of any DS surgeon in your state. Many people have to travel to get the DS, but IMHO the results and quality of life are well worth the effort.

Hiya Angerpay! I've had 7 friends at the hospital I used to work at have the lapband....all failed horribly and 4 required emergency surgery to fix serious erosion of the stomach. The barbaric crapband should be banned immediately....failure rate is SHOCKINGLY high!! But that being said, I'd need more info regarding your specific case before suggesting another procedure. I am a HUGE fan of the gastric sleeve if you have 90lbs or less to lose, and HUGE fan of the DS if greater than that or you have serious comorbidities such as diabetes, HTN, sleep apnea, etc. The dumping syndrome risk from Roux-en-y and rebound weight gain issues make me wary of it long term, though know of many cases who did very well with it. Please feel free to share more details about your height,weight, health problems, etc. You know, all the things you'd NEVER normally share with total strangers on some website!! Haha! But you'll find this site provides you a level of knowledge and insights not found elsewhere....detailed nuanced info. You can talk about literally ANYTHING here and there's no need to be embarrassed or shy. People here only want to help...because we've all been there in one way or another. Best of luck to you with your decisions going forward! Remember...you only get 1 more shot at getting this right. Choose wisely!! Start with proving some more info about YOU.
:welcome1:

@Agerpay, I had lapband 11 years ago when we thought it was the new, amazing procedure. I had the sleeve 5 years ago and lost 60% of my weight but slowly regained after about 2 years, and that was with making better food choices and getting in therapy. I weigh 283 now, about 20 less than when I got the sleeve. I am looking to revise to DS, since I already have the sleeve. I had considered the RNY 5 years ago because I *knew* I needed malabsorption but learned about the sleeve and actually thought it would do the trick. It didn't, but I'm glad now I can get the DS instead of the RNY. My stomach will still be intact, I can take NSAIDS (which I need for arthritis), and I can EAT...not what I want, but I can enjoy meat and fats. I just can't do low-fat, sugar free the rest of my life. I like to eat clean, kind of Paleo, but not as restrictive. I know the DS will make me a much better camper than RNY. I am still thinking it over because of the malabsorption level and having to take supplements the rest of your life and the commitment that calls for, along with protein. But I get closer to the DS every day.

Just do lots of research and ask a lot of questions. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back