I'm thinking about selling jewelry

JackieOnLine

Staff member
the company is Silpada, they made sterling silver jewelry that I actually like and there isn't a sales rep closer then Bend (so the local market is not covered), those are on the pro side.

cons: it's SALES, which is always work no matter how they spin it (get paid to party!) and the company is built around "parties" which I object to on principle. I mean, don't invite me over for a "party" and then try to sell me something. but you can meet people in coffee shops or salons, as well. more like an open house situation. the point is, you have jewelry (which you buy over time) that people can see and try on - that's what sells the stuff - but they can also buy from the catalog.

I know a Physical Therapist who used to do this and she doesn't have anything bad to say about the company, I googled for reviews and they are mostly good, and I think I understand the financial outlay. you get a starting kit for $149 and then you need to buy more catalogs after the first 20.

so - if there was something I could sell, this would be it. on the other hand, selling is hard work and I have a history of getting all excited about stuff I imagine myself doing. I could end up with a bunch of jewelry and if I can't sell, I have spent more than I should.

opinions?

I'd say to go for it IF you're going to be able to handle going to all the parties. Don't feel like people are being swindled into going or anything, if someone invites me to a jewelry party (or Tupperware, Mary Kay, pamapered chef, even fuckaware!) I know the reason for going and if I don't feel like shopping or buying gifts, I don't go. But, can you stomach going to all those parties and schmoozing women over cheap wine and snacks? I hate schmoozing, so I probably couldn't do it, but some people are so good at it!

I like a little schmoozing...and there is the jewelry to talk about - I like it, is the thing. so I don't mind talking about it.

besides the cheap wine, there is also the AM party with coffee option.

I will say make sure the silpada offerings have longer length necklaces (not just 16") or extenders available in case you have heavier friends come, fall in love with a piece and be ashamed 'cause they can't fit it around their neck (voice of experience here. And it makes me grumpy and for sure NOT want to buy anything at all.)

Good point on the chain lengths, I always hated that!

I have a few Silpada pieces and I really like them all. I think they're good quality. Make sure you know how to throw a good party - my friend does a lot of games and door prizes. She also has everybody wear a solid color and then she accessorizes them. It makes it a lot more fun.

Go for it! :)

What's your market? I mean, are you living in an area that won't get saturated too soon? Also, is there another Silpada rep in the area? It could be a lot of fun.

I am a jewelry slut. I had to go look and I could easily spend some money there. Some of the pieces I thought were overpriced but most were about right. And they do say you get @$500 worth of jewelry for $149.

As far as the selling thing goes...everyone is selling something! Every single one of us!

One thing I would do is to go to ebay and see how many FORMER Silpada or Mary Kay or Pampered Chef or Cookie Lee reps are trying to unload THEIR inventory.

That usually calms me down...lol

PS...I haven't checked those for years, so I don't know...could be none.

Spiky, there are TONS lol. I get all my Mary Kay stuff from a person I connected with via Ebay who buys out ex-consultants' stock. (And I was quite successful at selling MK many years ago.)

Jackie, I've done several different direct sales things. If you want to make a viable income off that kind of work, you'll be running like a maniac 24/7 unless/until you build a sizable downline. Then you'll be running only slightly less madly. If you enjoy that kind of work, go for it, it's loads of fun. But it is a damned tough way to earn a real living.

If you're looking for a hobby and/or a way to have your jewelry lust pay for itself, that tends to be more doable.

May I weigh in as a (competing) jeweler? There's a Silpada rep who belongs to my business group, and I sometimes go head to head with her at certain venues. I have to say that as sales reps, Silpada people tend to be very well trained - they know their stuff and know which pieces are real stones and which aren't. The jewelry is well made, and not overpriced. The style is very different from mine so I have no heartburn when she's selling at the same venue, but if I made similar pieces, I would have to charge more and couldn't compete with her. Just in terms of selling jewelry - I could NOT live off what I make, at least not without it taking so much concentrated time and effort that it would no longer be enjoyable. Markets do get saturated, and jewelry is a luxury that has to go when economic conditions make every nickel count. Or at best you sell a few pairs of earrings. I'd suggest that you try it and see if you like it, before abandoning your other job. Don't forget also that Fire Mountain Gems is practically in your back yard, and they are THE big hobby-jewelry supplier in the US - I don't know if hobbyists are thick on the ground there, but you should check out local fairs etc to see how much is out there, what it looks like, and what it sells for. Good luck! (PS - I happen to know someone who makes nice little necklace extenders....:eusa_whistle: )

Me, personally, I buy these things from my friends if I like the thing I am buying. I'm not particularly easy to coerce or guilt trip, so if I am invited and I feel like it, I go. If I don't like anything I don't buy. I don't drink so I don't feel obligated to buy because I drank the hostesses alcohol haha. For me, its mostly Mom on my DD cheer team, pageant friend or neighborhood friends who do these.

Another thing to consider is doing them strictly on-line -- find a well connected friend w lots of friends and do a virtual party with her hosting or do it as a "just rolled outta bed" party -- if you come just as you are in your jammies you get some kind of little gift or something -- anything to make people who don't want to get all dolled up encouraged to come. Also beauty shops, car dealership where you sit around and wait for your car's oil to be changed, doctors offices, etc Heck, do a presentation at your WLS support group -- "how to find your new look" and show how the right earrings and necklaces can enhance your new look along with advice for dressing for your body type and make up tips.

I will say make sure the silpada offerings have longer length necklaces (not just 16") or extenders available in case you have heavier friends come, fall in love with a piece and be ashamed 'cause they can't fit it around their neck (voice of experience here. And it makes me grumpy and for sure NOT want to buy anything at all.)

As long as its not a desperate thing where you gotta sell x amount or you can't meet your mortgage, then its a pretty OK thing -- several of my friends sell Silpada for fun money or save it up to pay for vacations or some such and they only have nice things to say about the company. I like their pieces; they hold up well and suit my personal style.
Jackie do this. Im not a salesman and really have to believe in what I'm promoting before I can so it. I could never sell a vehicle.

The reason I'm doing what I am to make "kid activity cash" is because 1) I love makeup 2) kids are expensive and I need to supplement my income and 3) all parties are online unless I decide I want to do an open house or something similar which works perfect since I'm on the go all the time. My phone is my office.

Well, as someone who loves jewelry so much I had to learn to make it from making my own metal components to making my own glass, and taking a buttload of courses and classes on it, I have to say that selling Silpada is a much more logical choice. You won't have to bother with kilns and torches and welders and zillions of tools, and spend the first year or so making unwearable blobs out of precious metals.

I looked at their page, and they have some neat designs, and the pieces look well made. I especially like the one that allow you to change the settings. It is definitely jewelry I would buy, and prices I'd happily pay.

The worst that can happen, is you will get sparkly baubles for only $150!

Latest posts

Back