I have osteoperosis now

Yeah...I'm 37 years post-menopausal, with a hx of smoking, and no HRT, and some other risk factor...but a friend had a family member who got cancer in the jawbone and lost it completely on Fosamax, so I have met one of the"rare" cases, and its hard to remember the "rare" part.
Is there a increased risk of cancer with Fosamax or other osteo medications?

Where do I fall in the osteoporosis spectrum? Just got my report. Not a happy camper.
My calcium, D, PTH have been in range for 17.5+ yrs postop DS (except for once my PTH went a bit high and I quickly got it down to 18 with supplement changes. They say they can't compare to my prior scans because they were not DEXA type.

Impression
World Health Organization diagnostic category: Osteoporosis

The FRAX model would suggest the 10-year risk of major osteoporotic fracture/or hip fracture is greater than 20% or 3%, respectively. Typically medical therapy should be considered.

Please see computer generated report in EPIC for complete details. Select "show images" above the study

IMG572 DXA BONE DENSITY AXIAL SKELETON ACCESSION

TECHNIQUE: Lunar Prodigy DXA device was utilized.

AP lumbar spine and AP proximal femora were evaluated with a DEXA device.

FINDINGS:
From the bone mineral density measurements of the AP spine and bilateral proximal femora, the lowest bone mineral density result obtained is obtained from the left femur: 0.65 grams/cm2, T-score -2.9.

Some literature on the subject..
Bariatric Surgery: Bad to the Bone, Part 1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4818070/#idm139693615012304title

Bariatric Surgery: Bad to the Bone, Part 2
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4898280/

"A growing number of studies now report that, despite calcium and vitamin D supplementation, the most frequently performed types of bariatric surgery, the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and the sleeve gastrectomy, cause significant ongoing bone loss.

"Also, part 2 covers interventions that may help lessen bariatric surgery-induced bone loss, which are now beginning to appear in the medical literature

"Although weight loss typically plateaus in the first 6 months after bariatric surgery, a growing number of studies have revealed persistent increases in bone-turnover markers and progressive, continuing declines in both bone density (ie, bone mass) and bone microarchitecture (ie, bone quality)
I think they should have titled them Bad FOR the Bones.

However, I wonder how many of their study subjects were as anal about their labs as many DSers are.

Re

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/354151/

Just wondering how many here would give up their calcium for brussel sprouts

"Given the debate about the efficacy of calcium supplementation for reducing fractures [39, 40] and the potential risks associated with high-dose supplementation including renal calculi and cardiovascular events [40, 41], patients were advised to obtain calcium from dietary sources including vegetables such as Brussels sprouts or broccoli rather than calcium supplements."
The problem with food sources for those of us with malabsorption is we no longer have the receptors in our remaining gut to convert foods to vitamins and minerals.

I haven’t given up broccoli or Brussels sprouts, I just add calcium on top to keep my labs in stellar condition.

Re

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/354151/

Just wondering how many here would give up their calcium for brussel sprouts

"Given the debate about the efficacy of calcium supplementation for reducing fractures [39, 40] and the potential risks associated with high-dose supplementation including renal calculi and cardiovascular events [40, 41], patients were advised to obtain calcium from dietary sources including vegetables such as Brussels sprouts or broccoli rather than calcium supplements."

I had fried Brussels sprouts last Thursday. "Ooooh, Brussels sprouts" in my best Homer Simpson voice. I'm not sure I'd substitute them for my calcium, but I would definitely add them into my diet. Yes, I am one of the rare individuals who likes Brussels sprouts. I never had them fried so when I saw them offered as a side, I got them. The only way I had them before is boiled and preferably, with cheese or tons of butter. There are several recipes available for frying them with bacon.

You're welcome.

Brussels sprouts have been genetically modified over the last 30 years or so (using selective breeding rather than DNA cloning, but frankly, that makes no difference) to get rid of the bitterness and increase the sweetness. It’s not just that you grew up and developed more sophisticated taste - they actually taste better now. https://www.soci.org/Chemistry-and-Industry/CnI-Data/2010/24/Brussels-a-bittersweet-story

And adding bacon and butter and sautéing them rather than boiling them doesn’t hurt either.

So...calcium. There are many kinds, some better for us than others.

I think I need:
500 mg doses, several times a day;
of elemental calcium citrate.

Okay so far?

But labels are misleading (at best). And the calcium citrate MIGHT BE calcium SALTS, in which case only about 25% of the claimed strength of the calcium is actually provided in the calcium product we buy.

Dies anyone have any idea where to buy the actual, real, +/-500mg calcium citrate...preferably all by itself and not in cocktail form? (And NOT Jarrow...no way I'll manage SIX tablets that equal one serving.)

Mayo Clinic says:

Types of calcium supplements

Several different kinds of calcium compounds are used in calcium supplements. Each compound contains varying amounts of the mineral calcium — referred to as elemental calcium. Common calcium supplements may be labeled as:

• Calcium carbonate (40 percent elemental calcium)
  • Calcium citrate (21 percent elemental calcium)
  • Calcium gluconate (9 percent elemental calcium)
  • Calcium lactate (13 percent elemental calcium)
And this:

The two main forms of calcium supplements are carbonate and citrate. Calcium carbonate is cheapest and therefore often a good first choice. Other forms of calcium in supplements include gluconate and lactate.

In addition, some calcium supplements are combined with vitamins and other minerals. For instance, some calcium supplements may also contain vitamin D or magnesium. Check the ingredient list to see which form of calcium your calcium supplement is and what other nutrients it may contain. This information is important if you have any health or dietary concerns.

Choosing calcium supplements

When looking at calcium supplements, consider these factors:

Amount of calcium
Elemental calcium is key because it's the actual amount of calcium in the supplement. It's what your body absorbs for bone growth and other health benefits. The Supplement Facts label on calcium supplements is helpful in determining how much calcium is in one serving. As an example, calcium carbonate is 40 percent elemental calcium, so 1,250 milligrams (mg) of calcium carbonate contains 500 mg of elemental calcium. Be sure to note the serving size (number of tablets) when determining how much calcium is in one serving.

Latest posts

Back