I have osteoperosis now

I took Fosamax for about a year. (a.k.a. rat poison) The year I was on it my D dipped and my PTH rose. When we checked my osteocalcin it was below range as if there was no regeneration going on at all, much like concrete. I had no change on my dexa scans in that year. I stopped the Fosamax, started increasing the vitamin K2 to 600mcg a day, and kept with 100K D3 every other day, 50K the other days, a magnesium citrate capsule with every calcium dose, 3,600mg of calcium citrate via capsules- not tablets, a boron tablet with every calcium dose, and stayed with 2.5 Estratest hormone replacements. Last dexa scan improved to osteopenia and I need to get one this year to see if the improvement is continuing.

I would try an increase in the vitamin K2 and the other things listed above. Try it for a year and see if you can slow or stop the bone loss. If not, bring it to a screeching halt with the heavy hitters for a year and then try to come off.

Vitalady/BioTech capsule for K2, calcium citrate only, D3, magnesium citrate.
Thanks, Gina...I have an appt in the morning to discuss this...will have your solution in hand. The HRT sounds like it is also something I need to add to my list.

Damn, just when I thought we had everything under control I go an add MORE meds again!

I did reclast last fall too and it was a bear. I felt like I had the flu, a very bad case of the flu, for over a week. It was rough, let me tell you. I was also told it would go easier the next time, but dang! It BETTER go easier the next time or I don't think there will be a third time...
I so agree. 101.5F for 5 days (and fainted twice the first night; boy did my coccyx hurt). Then exhaustion for weeks. Then my calcium was so low they put me on calcitriol where I was exhausted and dizzy. I didn't feel like myself for almost 2.5 mos.

First of all, it BETTER have worked. I'm interested to see this year's Dexa scan. Second of all, you're right. It BETTER go more easily the second time. I just can't afford 2 weeks from work and then being so out of sorts for so long.

I did the Reclast and the first day was hell but the next day I woke up completely fine. My DEXA scan a year later showed marked improvement and reversal of bone loss. My endo was thrilled. I did my second infusion with no issues at all. Totally forgot I had it within an hour. I think he told me that I should have one more in a few years and that is all he recommended.

I did the Reclast and the first day was hell but the next day I woke up completely fine. My DEXA scan a year later showed marked improvement and reversal of bone loss. My endo was thrilled. I did my second infusion with no issues at all. Totally forgot I had it within an hour. I think he told me that I should have one more in a few years and that is all he recommended.
That sounds good. Hope mine would be a lot less (2nd time around).

Okay, had an appt with my PCP...he said he ONLY considered the injectables/IV route due to my DS so he did take that into consideration. I told him that the option of "choice" seemed to be Reclast. He did tell me about one that actually makes new bone that is a possibility but that one has to be after a failure of another, less costly option cause it was extremely expensive. It's also a synthetic unlike the others like Reclast.

Options were:
Boniva (IV)
Reclast
Prolia

Given that many show the best one for us is the Reclast, I told him that was my option. We won't start it until after all my jaw issues are taken care of tho. That comes first.

I'm guessing the K on that thread is K1. Are you doing K2, plus boron, magnesium citrate and strontium?

How many batches of calcium?
Not yet, not yet, not yet, not yet and just one batch...but my calcium, D, and PTH indicated I was at a proper dose for me. More than one and I get a horrid case of brick butt...even with all the fat I eat.

Looks like your bones don't agree with your dosages, despite your labs. Add the ones I mention, it's Gina's advice, which I've duly stolen. :)

How about load bearing exercise, can you do any of that?

Latest posts

Back