I have a date

AtomicMelanie

Dread Pirate
My surgery date: March 30th. Dr. Williams in Knoxville, TN. At last, at last!

The only cool part of the nutrition class was the part where they showed us photos where people had lied about not eating any solids 2 days prior to surgery. Otherwise, meh. Learned much more just reading here.

Anyways, the clock is running!

Congratulations! Now's a great time to top up your vitamin levels and stretch/exercise. It'll be here before you know it!

Congratulations! This is an exciting time for you. I agree that this place is the best DS communities out there in terms of support and information.

i was one of the ones that went to Mexico so I didn't get to go to any classes to see any cool/informative things concerning the surgery. I sure wish I would have asked my doctor why they allowed me to eat anything I wanted the night before my surgery though. I had somewhere around 4000 calories 12-16 hours before my surgery. Then you see where almost all other surgeons don't allow anything like this.

Congratulations! This is an exciting time for you. I agree that this place is the best DS communities out there in terms of support and information.

i was one of the ones that went to Mexico so I didn't get to go to any classes to see any cool/informative things concerning the surgery. I sure wish I would have asked my doctor why they allowed me to eat anything I wanted the night before my surgery though. I had somewhere around 4000 calories 12-16 hours before my surgery. Then you see where almost all other surgeons don't allow anything like this.
That is super super weird Joseph, I had the same surgeon for the same procedure 4 months after you and I was on liquids for at least one week prior! I think they dropped the ball and someone screwed up on your instructions. While I was preparing for my op I was doing lots of research and read of others who had the strict liquid pre op but I had not been given these instructions so I emailed MBC and asked if they were sure I wasn't supposed to be on the same liquids and they then came back with oh absolutely, and confessed to having believed they had already sent these instructions. I had my "crapband" done at MBC and at that time there was no pre op diet and the night before we ate like we were expecting a famine!!!!

hat is super super weird Joseph, I had the same surgeon for the same procedure 4 months after you and I was on liquids for at least one week prior!
EACH surgeon is different. Actually just making sure you eat light the day before and go NPO the night of surgery, you will be just fine. Honestly I think most doctors do the liquid diet to see if a person is really committed.

My dh did not have a diet pre-op, all he had to do was not eat the night before surgery. I had a different surgeon who is KNOWN for his long pre-op diets...2 weeks for those under a 50 BMI and a month for those over a 50 BMI. However, I was so close to the bottom at 35.2, he told me NO diet...not to lose a single lb pre-op. All I had was the NPO the night before.

BOTH my husband and I did just fine.

Thanks, everybody! As far as pre-op vitamins, here's what I'm taking right now. Please feel free to critique or offer suggestions for adjustment:

1 multivitamin 1x a day - I'm currently taking Alive! Max Potency multivitamin because that's what I'd been taking in the past and I just wanted to use up what I had, plus I like how they seem to dissolve quickly

1500 mg of Citracal - 500 mg 3x a day

5000 IU of dry Vitamin D (Natrol) 1x a day

200 mg of Vitamin B6 (Nature Made) - 100 mg 2x a day

I appreciate you all! :)

Hi AtomicMelanie! Sorry for the late reply, but congrats on your surgery date and it is so great to see you on this site as well! Your date is coming up soon, and we are all rooting for you!

Latest posts

Back