How to respond: Ramadan

Kiekerdepiekske

So in my dutch FB group there are a quite a few Muslim ladies that are planning to observe the Ramadan that is starting soon. To be honest, I think that's a really bad idea but I don't seem to have the right arguments to convince them otherwise. How would you respond if somebody asks if they could do this (even though that seems to be a mainly retoric question as they already made their mind up)? Most of these women have the sleeve only and a few have a SADI (which seems to be taking the Netherlands by storm....)

What are you concerned about? Unless they are immediately post op when they desperately need hydration (and there is a medical "waiver" for this in the Koran), they will be fine fasting for 12 hours. They can eat all the want at sunset and before dawn. This is just time of day related. Most of us don't eat from 8p-8a and we're fine.

Yes, no real issue with this. I will be travelling in Malaysia during Ramadan, and while only for a few days before Hari Raya I won't be able to easily find places to serve me between sunrise and sunset. The great thing is that iftar is a banquet and you can feast for hours!

I was concerned about a. not being able to get enough protein in b. not getting enough hydration in c. feasting on carbs d. destroying your metabolism becasue of the long periods of fasting. Are you really saying this all isn't a problem? Because then I'm terribly miseducated :)

My $0.02.

It's for a limited time - one month. You can eat and drink before sunrise and after sunset. It's up to everyone to (as with cultural events in anyone's culture e.g. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving) to make smart food choices. During the work week, I don't get the chance to eat much (sometimes at all) during the workday. It's not that different. It's also really for them to weigh the risks and benefits individually and come to the right conclusion for them.

I know in the Christian culture, there are medical waivers for these type of "events" (for lack of a better word that is just not hopping into my brain at the moment). The Koran surely has medical waivers for Ramadan. If they haven't made up their mind, they could ask. Those that are gonna do it anyway, no amount of convincing is gonna work.

I agree that new post op's (esp those under 3 months out) need to at least hydrate.

I perceive the issue more as "how in the hell can you fit all your protein in in such a small window" type problem. I know that this time of year when closing in on the Summer Solstice, that sunrise and sunset are much further apart and if you happen to sleep at night, there is very little time left to actually eat. And with our small sleeves (either VSG or DS or SADI, et al) that eating all our protein in a 2-3 hour window is a BIG issue.

There ARE those who are convinced that fasting is not harmful to the body. I am not convinced of that but then again we do typically sleep for large chucks of time and obviously fast during those hours.

My Muslim friends never had any issues with medical exemptions from the religious requirements of Ramadan. One man with diabetes and the occasional pregnant woman. They all made some efforts to modify their intake, but none of them did the sunup to sundown absolute fast.

ETA: Regarding "how to respond...." IMO that's a whole different thing: I'm not Muslim, therefore I would *not* respond other than to ask questions about whether a medical exemption is a "thing" in their faith. I'd adopt a "help me learn more about your faith" position.

Not exactly relevant but, fun: A couple of years ago, St. Patrick's day fell on a Friday during lent. The Pope issued a special dispensation so that people could enjoy corned beef and cabbage.

There are the Muslim equivalents of the dispensations granted to those with medical conditions.

I know I could do this now, no problem. It would have been tough the first year or so.

My brother is a Suni Muslim. I'm a Christian. I have met people who have medical issues and they make exceptions. My church fast for a month every year from sun up till sun down. Exceptions are made for children and different medical conditions. The bigger issue about fasting is prayer talking to God or Allah, a rock or whatever you believe in. Children in my church fast from things like social media, tv, texting. Diabetics are allowed to have small healthy meals. I think whatever higher power you believe in they know the persons heart and individual situation.

There was an issue on the news last year about Ramadan. People complained about a football team mostly muslims practicing without water. The team has been doing it for years. It's no big deal for the team. The only people who have a problem are ones not of their faith and don't believe it's that important
Peoples values differ. The team breaks fast together. They also have more night practice.

Latest posts

Back