How far in advance do you contact the doc?

DonRobbie

I want to have Duodenal switch in Mexicali with Dr Esquerra or Wilhelmy. I don't have the money at this time. My current timeline is 1-2 years out depending on life circumstances. So I'm pretty sure now is too soon. But I assume some lead time is needed. Is it on the scale of a few months or a few weeks?

Usually not long. Weeks! I would contact them as soon as I had the money. But there will probably be some preop testing to do first. You will have to talk to them about what you require.

It could be either, just depends on how flexible you are. They won't put you on the schedule and secure your desired date until you make a deposit. If I remember correctly it was $500.

I had to wait two months for a date with them. If you want to do it and you can swing it, I would just take out a loan. I know you will pay interest, but you will be thin for two more years of your life.
I agree! You may want to check on the new tax laws too and see if you can write off at least part of it. It used to be based on medical being over a certain percentage of your income but a lot of things have changed so make sure.

GalaxyGirl has a good point. I usually avoid loans for anything whatsoever, but this is important, and you can't buy years of life. This is as close as you get.

Interest rates are no longer at that amazing low, but still pretty low making it look like an attractive option, especially since you know it will be paid off within a few years.

Thanks all for the replies.

Staying up late today to get to the Post Office to apply for passport cards for my wife and I to get that out of the way so I can move quickly once the money is sorted.

Last edited:
I love using my passport card to drive across the border to Mexico or Canada. I used it for my MX surgery trip. I also like using it as my ID instead of a driver’s license as it doesn’t have your address on it.

Has anyone used HSA funds for Mexicali Bariatric? The wife suggested I switch to a plan that has an HSA and save the money up that way (My current plan for paying for the procedure is to borrow from the 401k once the current loan for replacing our roof is paid off). I don't know how the mechanics of making a payment to a provider outside the country from my HSA account would work.

Obviously we don't know your finances, but the quality of life is well worth it. Any way you can finance it now buys you years of your life back that makes the interest worth it. Can you withdraw it from your retirement savings? Medical loan? Refinance your house? Low-interest credit card? I know in Australia the retirement withdrawal is an option if you can show it's for a medically necessary procedure.

Latest posts

Back