House update

We countered. Counter .was accepted, now the fun begins.

Meanwhile, it appears my next door neighbor sold, and the tenants in his illegal rental are moving out.

Scary things:
New owner MIGHT be counting on the illegal rental thing, but probably not. I think we can find a way to report them. But most likely not ncessary.

Bigger scary thing:
We are in the middle of a NIGHTMARE solar installation. It was supposed to be a two day thing. We are at week five. Drilled holes in roof, rain leaked, mold formed. And, the trench for running the conduit was open for weeks. Part of it was through walkway and patio. Rain undermined structural support. Huge chunks of older, sub-grade concrete loosened. Vertical patio roof support started to sink. Slightly, but sink, for sure. (I had a crew here with jacks in about an hour.) We are waiting for a new roof before the panels can be reinstalled.

I make an UNHOLY disturbance when irritated. (See my post about "bitch" and "you ain't seen nothin' yet."). I do it politely. But, like Elizabeth, I persist. And persist. And persist. I have MANY grown men just doing whatever they can to make me shut up and go away.

It is all being addressed. I should stop bitching, right?

Uh, not so much...because...that house next door?..which isn't even listed on tbe multiple listing service and is already in escrow for $800,000, will most likely be demolished and a McMansion, which will throw shade on my solar panels, will be built.

I need a drink.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, it appears my next door neighbor sold, and the tenants in his illegal rental are moving out.

Scary things:
New owner MIGHT be counting on the illegal rental thing, but probably not. I think we can find a way to report them. But most likely not ncessary.

Bigger scary thing:
We are in the middle of a NIGHTMARE solar installation. It was supposed to be a two day thing. We are at week five. Drilled holes in roof, rain leaked, mold formed. And, the trench for running the conduit was open for weeks. Part of it was through walkway and patio. Rain undermined structural support. Huge chunks of older, sub-grade concrete loosened. Vertical patio roof support started to sink. Slightly, but sink, for sure. (I had a crew here with jacks in about an hour.) We are waiting for a new roof before the panels can be reinstalled.

I make an UNHOLY disturbance when irritated. (See my post about "bitch" and "you ain't seen nothin' yet."). I do it politely. But, like Elizabeth, I persist. And persist. And persist. I have MANY grown men just doing whatever they can to make me shut up and go away.

It is all being addressed. I should stop bitching, right?

Uh, not so much...because...that house next door?..which isn't even listed on tbe muleiple listing service and is already in escrow for $800,000, will most likely be demolished and a McMansion, which will throw shade on my solar panels, will be built.

I need a drink.
Have one for me!
And if you stop bitching, they may slow down. If I were you, I'd bitch til it's finished.

Love the house, and very nice work in that bathroom. I never understand buyers. I want to make a kitchen mine (ESPECIALLY the kitchen), so am happy when I don't see that someone has just sunk a fortune into something I may not like. Cant see that home languishing on the market.

Love the house, and very nice work in that bathroom. I never understand buyers. I want to make a kitchen mine (ESPECIALLY the kitchen), so am happy when I don't see that someone has just sunk a fortune into something I may not like. Cant see that home languishing on the market.
It hasn't. Counteroffer was accepted.

I love the house too but want to travel more. Right now we want to be house less.

Yeah, me too. I do want a functional kitchen when I buy a house and this one is but it's far from updated.

Listing: http://matrix.carolinamls.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=3395090309#1
We just got it from the realtor and emailed her right back that it is a two story, not a one story but that is the only thing we see wrong.

Just sitting here gobsmacked at the enormous differences in cost of living from one area to another. My whole house is about 2/3rds the size of just your main floor...not counting upstairs or basement. My lot is half the size of yours. My fireplace is non-functioning. (Making it safe to operate would be $15-20k.). I do have a large in-ground pool. (But it needs work, at minimum $6-7k...to get what I REALLY want was quoted at $63k.). We could not get near your house for under $1.3 million here.

We've been lucky with most of our home buying-selling experiences. If we sold this place, the net gain, [sales price - (sales costs + purchase price + improvements)] would pay for a huge, beautiful house in many parts of this country. In Mr. Sue's small home town, it would pay for several houses. But it would not be this close to the ocean, the mountains, the desert, the educational opportunities, the jobs and so on. And he refuses to shovel snow.

(This also explains some political differences...Mr. Sue's nephew, in a small town in FL, who pays $400/mo rent for his house, cannot begin to understand why ANYBODY "needs" a minimum wage of over $10/hr. Here, it would take three people, each grossing $10/hr, paying half their combined monthly income, to share a small one-bedroom apartment in a sketchy area. Southeast US, meet Southwest US.)

PS--I was wrong on the house next door. It will be LISTED at $800,000. But...this is a "bidding war area," so it may go for a bit more. (And the buyers...I haven't met them, no one has...will probably be wealthy Chinese immigrants who knock the whole thing down...cuz that's how we roll here.)

:001492406: :bacondance: :danc: :thhippy:

Moving date?
Closing is scheduled for 30 March. We will move into the coach between the 28th and 28th so we can hand the keys over at closing.

Just sitting here gobsmacked at the enormous differences in cost of living from one area to another. My whole house is about 2/3rds the size of just your main floor...not counting upstairs or basement. My lot is half the size of yours. My fireplace is non-functioning. (Making it safe to operate would be $15-20k.). I do have a large in-ground pool. (But it needs work, at minimum $6-7k...to get what I REALLY want was quoted at $63k.). We could not get near your house for under $1.3 million here.

We've been lucky with most of our home buying-selling experiences. If we sold this place, the net gain, [sales price - (sales costs + purchase price + improvements)] would pay for a huge, beautiful house in many parts of this country. In Mr. Sue's small home town, it would pay for several houses. But it would not be this close to the ocean, the mountains, the desert, the educational opportunities, the jobs and so on. And he refuses to shovel snow.

(This also explains some political differences...Mr. Sue's nephew, in a small town in FL, who pays $400/mo rent for his house, cannot begin to understand why ANYBODY "needs" a minimum wage of over $10/hr. Here, it would take three people, each grossing $10/hr, paying half their combined monthly income, to share a small one-bedroom apartment in a sketchy area. Southeast US, meet Southwest US.)

PS--I was wrong on the house next door. It will be LISTED at $800,000. But...this is a "bidding war area," so it may go for a bit more. (And the buyers...I haven't met them, no one has...will probably be wealthy Chinese immigrants who knock the whole thing down...cuz that's how we roll here.)
We get a LOT of transplants from CA and NY and some who move back up from FL after deciding that living in FL is too damned hot.

Most of those who sold in NY or CA can buy outright from the sale of their last house.

Now, in all fairness, our immediate area is higher priced. We have lots of multi-million dollar properties but they are mostly horse farms here. As a result, houses in the middle which use to go for 59-60 a sq ft are now heading to 100 a sq ft. And we just got notice if the adjusted taxes (county) for the house. Most in the area went up.

Closing is scheduled for 30 March. We will move into the coach between the 28th and 28th so we can hand the keys over at closing.

We get a LOT of transplants from CA and NY and some who move back up from FL after deciding that living in FL is too damned hot.

Most of those who sold in NY or CA can buy outright from the sale of their last house.

Now, in all fairness, our immediate area is higher priced. We have lots of multi-million dollar properties but they are mostly horse farms here. As a result, houses in the middle which use to go for 59-60 a sq ft are now heading to 100 a sq ft. And we just got notice if the adjusted taxes (county) for the house. Most in the area went up.

Our problem was "too far from family."

We sold in an area that was around $300/sq ft and bought in an area that goes for $132/sq ft, which made us rich. But then we sold that and bought where the going price is $500+/sq ft. (Which means a 1000 sq ft "starter home" is over half a million dollars. Young folks don't stand a chance.) Once again, we must look at prices. LOL

Some day, maybe MiniSue can retire and sell and move in the opposite direction! And have many dollars left over. Nephew's area avg price is $56/sq ft...Mr. Sue's home town has places for as low as $20/sq ft.

It is amazing isn't it? When we moved from CO to TN we got way more house and land for our money. My S-I-L is a relator in VA. When she visited, she said our house would go for four times what we paid for it. It would have only cost twice as much in CO.

This is a house we rented in Denver. When we moved out, it was very close to being a disaster. It might have sold for $40,000 considering the neighbor hood and the amount of work needed. The Zillow listing is after it was flipped. I was in shock when I saw it was listed at $367,000. That whole neighbor hood has gone from blight to chic urban hipster. The houses are routinely flipped. My F-I-L's neighborhood, just outside the Beltway in DC, it a mixture of '50's nice little post-war houses to a mixture of them and those horrid McMansions.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2425-Pontiac-St-Denver-CO-80207/13287365_zpid/

Latest posts

Back