Hi from Canada

shancam

I had the vertical banded gastroplasty in Feb 1987 and did well for a few years but have gained back all the weight. I am in the pre-op stages of a revision. Just had the surgeon appt today and he is sending me for a scope, contrast, and something else I cant remember to see what the insides look like and what can be done. I am wanting to get a revision as the previous surgery is no longer restricting my intake and I am not losing weight.

Has anyone had this done and what was the success rate and complications, if any.

any insight would be greatly appreciated

Shannon

Welcome!
Your prior operation has been almost completely abandoned due to the longterm failure rate, so you are very much not alone. The staple lines tend to break down over time, leaving you with nothing of any benefit. it wouldn't surprise me if one or more of the tests you are about to have confirm this.

Your revision options may be limited both by your location (I don't know where you are in Canada, but not a lot of DS surgeons there) and also possibly due to scarring and damage to your stomach from the gastroplasty. But for now, learn all you can about the different operations to at least sort out what you would prefer, and hopefully you can get something more effective than what you have now.

Hi and welcome @shancam, so sorry you had a procedure that failed you. Wishing you all the best. There's one doc in Canada to avoid who appears to jump from one experimental surgery to another and has a poor track record I've read about over the years - I think his name is Gagner, so be cautious. All the best!

Thanks. That names not familiar in my area. I'm in Calgary Alberta and have Dr Richdeep Gill

Dr Gagner was my surgeon, and I can only speak from my experience which was that he was very good.

I was firm from our first conversation that I wanted the true DS, not the SIPS/SADI, and my surgical report bears out that's what I received. I found his set-up (he's in Montreal) to be very professional, particularly for people travelling.

Just my $0.02.

I've never heard of your surgeon. PLEASE make sure he is giving you a proper, two anastomosis DS, preferably using Hess proportions. SADI/SIPS/LoopDS is an unproven, experimental procedure without the long-term track record of the proper DS, and many of us suspect that it is not going to be as effective in the long run - in particular, it does not have the selective fat malabsorption of a proper DS.

Latest posts

Back