Hi all, I'm new

Hiya Russ! Welcome aboard!! It's one of my pet peeves, this whole discriminatory treatment of the morbidly obese trying to seek treatment. "Ok...now if I could get you to just hop on yer left foot now while humming the Star Spangled Banner. That's it......now faster!!" They'd never ask a patient with any other condition to submit to psychiatric eval, proof of their attempts to fix themselves over a period of time, etc. Bah! But just do what you need to do until we can see an end to this foolishness. One great day folks like yourself will be applauded for making this decision. Until then just jump through their hoops. The veterans on this site are top notch information disseminators. Listen to them! Best of luck to you going forward. :welcomeboard:

Unfortunately I had to cancel my appointment at U of Chicago :( The morning of the appointment I was so sick there was absolutely no way I could drive 4 hours to Chicago. I visit with the Bariatric Institute of Wisconsin next week and will have to reschedule after that. On a positive note my PCP has agreed to do my 6 month supervised weight loss, I figured I might as well get started ASAP. I feel lucky to have a great doc who has always supported my efforts and takes as much time with me as needed to talk and/or listen.

Hope you're better soon!

I doubt that the bariatric institute of Wis has a surgeon who does the DS, but if they do, please let us know. alternatively, you could call ahead and confirm that you will see a surgeon who really does the DS, and if not, cancel the apt and not waste your time and effort and end up disappointed.

Get better!

Larra

Russ, I sent an email 3 weeks ago to the Bariatric Institute of WI and questioned them about the DS. I still have not received an email back. Then I contacted The University Of Minnesota the lady I was dealing with could not schedule a consult with Dr Leslie so she gave me his schedulers voicemail and I waited 4 days to hear from her. She returned my call and was going to set up an appointment with DR Leslie but needed to check the schedule. She gave me her # an said to call back in an hour. I left her 3 messages over the day tomorrow will be 4 days again. Yesterday I called Abbott Northwestern Bariatric. DR Leslie also works for them. The lady I talked to had me do their online seminar, test, and medical history paperwork. Tomorrow She will have my appointment set up. So you may want to go that rout. I have blazed the trail in WI head West my man! LOL I have done 3 seminars in person and 3 online! I hope this will help you! The only DR I found in WI that has done a lot of DS (so they Say) Is DR Brebrick. They wanted me to go through their nutrition classes and sell me 4 weeks of their food. I have already done the nutrition classes for 6 months and Im not going to start over.

Russ, The other problem you will run into is having your PCP doing your nutrition program. I may be wrong but I don't think that will count for a bariatric program. So I would check into that before you waste your time.

Jim, I was hoping you would chime in with your very thorough Wis experience. And btw, I have never heard of Dr. Brebrick. Granted I don't know everything, but I've been on various DS forums for over 8 years so that does not bode well for DS prospects with him. So I looked him up, and if it's the Dr. Robert Brebrick in Wausau, his group lists gastric bypass, sleeve and lap band, and apparently they are unaware of the existence of the DS because it isn't mentioned on their website.
Now of course that's a slight exaggeration. I'm sure the docs have heard of the DS. But it really isn't on their website, and I bet their patients never hear a word about it. And I would also guess that if you call there are ask their staff, they will cheerfully tell you that their surgeons do "all" the bariatric procedures, because they don't know there is another procedure - and standard of care at that - that their docs don't do. So if you do call them, be very specific about the DS. If they offer the DS let us know, but I'll be stunned if they do.

Jim, I was hoping you would chime in with your very thorough Wis experience. And btw, I have never heard of Dr. Brebrick. Granted I don't know everything, but I've been on various DS forums for over 8 years so that does not bode well for DS prospects with him. So I looked him up, and if it's the Dr. Robert Brebrick in Wausau, his group lists gastric bypass, sleeve and lap band, and apparently they are unaware of the existence of the DS because it isn't mentioned on their website.
Now of course that's a slight exaggeration. I'm sure the docs have heard of the DS. But it really isn't on their website, and I bet their patients never hear a word about it. And I would also guess that if you call there are ask their staff, they will cheerfully tell you that their surgeons do "all" the bariatric procedures, because they don't know there is another procedure - and standard of care at that - that their docs don't do. So if you do call them, be very specific about the DS. If they offer the DS let us know, but I'll be stunned if they do.

Larra, I found him on OH. It says he performs the DS. I sent an email ( I like sending emails instead of calling. That way I have it documented.) to Surgical Associates S.C..
They replied that he has done a lot. I never replied to them because of them wanting me to retake my nutrition classes and buy their food. So I didn't dig any deeper. I know for sure DR Leslie does the DS. He also has done them on people with a BMI around 40. The only problem now will be insurance but I have a couple aces up my sleeve! So I am expecting him to submit it and have the insurance deny it. I have been sending out release forms to my Orthopedic surgeons to get my records for the appeal. Just trying to plan ahead.

Jim, you're doing a great job! It shouldn't be so difficult to get medical care you need, but that's the reality, so I applaud you for your persistence and determination.

Perhaps Dr. Brebrick's website is not up to date...but I tell ya, the DS just isn't there. However, given that you are, understandably, not interested in repeating nutrition classes and buying their food (and I can assure you buying a doctor's food or vitamins or protein supplements is NOT necessary), I don't blame you for not investigating futher.

Dr. Leslie definitely does the DS. His name is well known in the Ds community. Go for it!

Jim, you're doing a great job! It shouldn't be so difficult to get medical care you need, but that's the reality, so I applaud you for your persistence and determination.

Perhaps Dr. Brebrick's website is not up to date...but I tell ya, the DS just isn't there. However, given that you are, understandably, not interested in repeating nutrition classes and buying their food (and I can assure you buying a doctor's food or vitamins or protein supplements is NOT necessary), I don't blame you for not investigating futher.

Dr. Leslie definitely does the DS. His name is well known in the Ds community. Go for it!
I didn't see it on his web site either. I was just going off of OH. I just sent an email asking if any of their DR's performed the DS and that was their reply. This has been a very difficult journey. 2 years an counting. The only good thing is I have learned a lot about the hoop jumping and will be able to pay it forward!

I've seen a few people on OH that had Dr. Engstrand at Bariatric Institute for DS. I called them and they assured me that they did do DS and I saw it on Wheaton Franciscan website. They were very friendly and helpful when I called. I am going to their informational meeting next week.

I'm lucky that my insurance covers pretty much everyone I've looked at, so I have options. I have sent messages to people who had surgery with all the doctors I'm interested in so far, obviously some of those people probably don't still frequent some of the sites, so I may not hear back. I'm anticipating next year for surgery anyway, I'd love it sooner but I'm not holding my breath :)

I've heard good things about the surgeons at U of Chicago but the hospital and aftercare is not as highly reviewed. That is a problem with teaching hospitals unfortunately. I still plan on going to see them and am taking my wife along to all prospective surgeon meetings. #1 - Good to have two sets of ears and eyes, plus I trust my wife's judgement - we will both have to be comfortable with the doc. #2 - There will be a time when I'm under the knife that she may have to make decisions on my care, and I want her fully informed beforehand.

Thanks for the info Jim ( and everyone else), keep me informed on any new developments and I'll do the same.

I think I will also contact Dr. Kemmeter tomorrow. Heard very good things about him. Not overly happy with the distance however. We'll see if I can do a seminar online rather that in person. Don't really want a 7 hr drive just for a seminar.

I think I will also contact Dr. Kemmeter tomorrow. Heard very good things about him. Not overly happy with the distance however. We'll see if I can do a seminar online rather that in person. Don't really want a 7 hr drive just for a seminar.
My dh and I traveled 12 hours for his DS...don't let distance be a factor.

Latest posts

Back