Hi all, I'm new

Just a heads up apparently on OH the only surgeons they are now showing when you do a search are the ones that pay to advertise there. A lot of the vetted and dsfacts.com recommended surgeons don't come up. My dr. is Dr. Margaret Inman and she had hundreds of reviews last week on OH. This week they are gone.

Just a heads up apparently on OH the only surgeons they are now showing when you do a search are the ones that pay to advertise there. A lot of the vetted and dsfacts.com recommended surgeons don't come up. My dr. is Dr. Margaret Inman and she had hundreds of reviews last week on OH. This week they are gone.
OH SAYS it is a support site...if it really was, all surgeons worth a damn would be listed...and those who aren't would also be listed in a "Do NOT use this surgeon" section. And that is regardless of type of surgery. Not everyone wants or should have a DS...for some, the other surgeries suit them better.

It would be nice if there was a more comprehensive list somewhere. Even DSFacts says their list isn't the end all , be all of surgeons. I try to get patient opinions, but some people do so well they never come back, and some people probably do poorly and feel bad so they don't come back either. In a perfect world there would be a close by, great surgeon who has top notch aftercare, BUT shit doesn't go that way for me too often ;)

My angel lives in southern WI and her DS was performed with Dr. Engstrand in January 2012. We are in touch and today she remains trim, healthy and happy, but is no longer active on the WLS message boards due to the demands of her busy daily life. When she and I first met, she wrote "Dr. Engstrand in Milwaukee was my surgeon. He isn't vetted yet, but I talked to several people who had their DS with him and they had nothing but wonderful things to say. He's been amazing since the surgery as well."

Last edited:
Thanks Hilary !! I like to keep my options open but I research stuff to death. I own a business but am injured so I have lots of time to scour the internet and make calls. I've heard good things about him and their aftercare program, which being 2 hrs away, I'd be more inclined to attend.

@Terri: I am waiting for your post on OH to be moderated - once they notice that you referenced this site, and especially EN and me, your post will be toast:

default_avatar_100x100.gif

Terri M.
on 4/10/14 7:47 pm - Evansville, IN

Topic: RE: Surgery and Surgeon Info Missing from Posts
Dr. Margaret Inman at St. Vincents in Carmel, IN. I have read everything on dsfacts.com, some of it twice. I also found my way to bariatricfacts.org and believe me EN, Diana and everyone over there are so welcoming and knowledgeable I almost feel guilty that I found them and know others haven't.

I didn't like that there weren't many here on the DS forum and to be honest it just pissed me off that they filtered everything. I mean most states you have to be an adult to WLS and if we had a dollar for each posting that sh*t was talked about in, LOL.

Russ, It is good that youa re having your wife go to appointments with you. It will really help her understand your physical/mental situation after surgery. I went with my husband because I was getting my DS in May. But even if I wasn't I would have been there to be supportive. Having a good support system will really help in the end.

Just came from 1st weight loss meeting with PCP. I actually lost 9#'s in last month - must be all the excitement watching you guys lose weight ! My doc is very supportive, he thinks I have the right attitude to do well and can tell I've done my research. Also said ordering labs will be no problem, he just needs the list. I have always liked and respected his opinion, so I am glad he is standing behind my decision.

@Terri: I am waiting for your post on OH to be moderated - once they notice that you referenced this site, and especially EN and me, your post will be toast:

default_avatar_100x100.gif

Terri M.
on 4/10/14 7:47 pm - Evansville, IN

Topic: RE: Surgery and Surgeon Info Missing from Posts
Dr. Margaret Inman at St. Vincents in Carmel, IN. I have read everything on dsfacts.com, some of it twice. I also found my way to bariatricfacts.org and believe me EN, Diana and everyone over there are so welcoming and knowledgeable I almost feel guilty that I found them and know others haven't.

I didn't like that there weren't many here on the DS forum and to be honest it just pissed me off that they filtered everything. I mean most states you have to be an adult to WLS and if we had a dollar for each posting that sh*t was talked about in, LOL.[/QUOTE
People were saying send a message to member services and let them know you are not happy about this. My thought is OH reads everyone's posts anyway this would a) let them know I wasn't happy. b) let other people out there know that was a place to go to get good information from people who really care and aren't in for the money. c) mentioning y'all was just putting a little cream on top.

Terri as long as you understand they will do whatever they want: pull the thread, ban you, or just never ending moderation. doesn't have to be fair or make sense.

they don't have time to read every post so stuff will slip through the cracks but that is the sort of thread where, eventually, they will.

People were saying send a message to member services and let them know you are not happy about this. My thought is OH reads everyone's posts anyway this would a) let them know I wasn't happy. b) let other people out there know that was a place to go to get good information from people who really care and aren't in for the money. c) mentioning y'all was just putting a little cream on top.

So YOU"RE the OH Terri! It's clear that place is run only for the $$, and they even mess up doing that right.

I consider this site more like a "by the people, for the people" type place. MUCH more useful.

Terri as long as you understand they will do whatever they want: pull the thread, ban you, or just never ending moderation. doesn't have to be fair or make sense.

they don't have time to read every post so stuff will slip through the cracks but that is the sort of thread where, eventually, they will.
I don't spend much time over there. Really if I'm banned it won't bother me. I just hate to see people not being given all information. I see people on OH and other sites and people so uninformed or misinformed and so many of them have already had surgery. I just feel so lucky to have found y'all on this site!

Latest posts

Back