Help with labs and vitamins

Justme

I have several lab and vitamin questions. For those who don’t know, I had my original DS 13 years ago and this last Dec. I had a revision with Dr. K to shortened my CC. Vitamin and lab recommendations are very different now than they were back then and I feel a little lost.

Dr. K wasn’t concerned with the results from my pre-op labs. INR was 1, PTH was 70.37, B-12 was high and D was also high. I wasn’t concerned with D or B-12 being high but I’m not sure about the INR and I was definitely concerned about my PTH. The last bone scan I had was years ago and it showed osteopenia. I am planning on getting another one done soon to see where I’m at.

Dr. K says to get labs at 3 months, 6 months and 1 year then yearly after that. Do you think yearly is enough or do I need them more often? Or should I just base it on my lab results at my 1 year mark?

I see a lot of you getting a copper lab. Dr. K doesn’t do a copper lab. The last video conference I had with him, I asked him about this and if I remember this right he said that unless Iron is low he doesn’t do copper and that it’s an expensive test and some insurances won’t pay for it and then the patient is stuck with the bill.

I will be getting my 3 month checkup soon with my family Dr. and Dr. K said to get a CBC and a CMP. Should I ask my Dr. to do more….like the copper or K to see where I’m at since those have never been tested? Or is there a different lab order list I should take to him?

Here is what I’m taking now.
Citracal 2 tabs 4 times a day (sometimes I forget one dose)
Bio Tech D3 5000 once a day. In the last 3 days or so I have started taking 2 of these a day to
use them up since I will be ordering the 50,000 Dr. K wants me to be taking.
Prior to surgery in Dec. I was taking the 5000 every other day.
DHC iron 2 capsule a day
Women 50+ multi 1 a day
Culturelle digestive Health 1 capsule a day
Members Mark Super B Complex 1x day
Folic Acid 800 mcg 1 tab once a day
I also take L-lysine, 2 different blood pressure meds, Wellburtrin, and low dose birth control (for hot flashes)

Here is what Dr. K’s schedule is.
Calcium citrate 500mg 3x day
Magnesium Glycinate 200-250 3x day and 1 hr after calcium
Multi 2x day
Dry D3 50,000 IU 1x day
Dry A 25,000 IU 1x day
Then based on pre op lab results, he may suggest (which he didn’t in my case) Vitamin K2 (MK7) 150 Mcg, Probiotic, and Heme iron (for menstruating women or as required)

I’m needing to order more vitamins and want to make sure to get everything I need. I also will be getting labs soon so any advice or suggestions on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a copy of my labs. Please let me know if you can't open it or I need to post it a different way.
Lines 47-59 are labs that were not done on mine but that I've seen on others.

Attachments

• Copy of Labs - Sheet1.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
Thank you! I already had a copy of that printed out but I wasn't sure if it was an updated list.

Epic lab software lets you build a lab panel specific to the DS. Your Dr then only needs one click to order it.

There may already be one in their system that you could tweak.

Vitamin K lab is the one insurance balks at. Copper is part of the allowed labs for most insurances. Dr K is mistaken. K test runs $400 and up.

Thanks! I think I found the right website but I can't figure out how to get to where you build your own lab panel.

Oh, Ok. I misunderstood. I'll ask him about that. I'm lucky in that I have a Dr. who listens to me and will do the labs I ask for. We've been with him over 20 years!

Latest posts

Back