Have any of you ever had a bone marrow biopsy?

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
I am scheduled for one on Monday and was told I could have it with or without sedation. My understanding is that it is not pleasant so I can't understand why anyone would not want to be sedated so just wondering if any of you have been through it and had any thoughts? I am a big wimp when it comes to pain, so IMA be getting anything and everything they will give me.

BTW it was interesting to look at my anemia panel in 2014 right at the time that I found out I was so malnourished as compared to now. My numbers are worse now than then.

Last edited:
No idea about the pain level. I've heard they are painful. While I'm not a wimp, I'm not a masochist either.

I am sorry your anemia is worse. Swinging critters that you find out what in the hell is going on.

I've also heard it is painful - go for the sedation! I have an appt with my hemo for another iron infusion. My ferritin is currently 500! From what I read and comparing my iron results it looks as though I have anemia of chronic disease also. My hematologist states it is low iron anemia. I even had him look at my lab results a second time on another day because I was sure he made a mistake. Do you mind sharing your iron results, Scott?

I've had one and I'm fairly wimpy (while some were awarded the Purple Heart, I was given the Yellow Streak). It wasn't that bad. I think people tend to exaggerate their experiences for attention. You know how people go on and on about root canals? Most of us who have had one know that they're no big deal. People complain about sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes, too. They forget that a century ago people had to cross the Sierra Nevada in snowstorms, got stuck and wound up eating each other.

Now, the bone marrow biopsy definitely hurts more than a root canal (but less than cannibalism), but, with the sedative, I think you'll get through it fine. In my case the doctor just gave me an Adavan tablet. I grabbed the bed rails, felt the '"pressure" for about a minute and it was done. I'd give it a 5 on the discomfort scale. Much rather have a bone marrow biopsy than go through an anal fissure (and I know you've had one of those).

I'd recommend watching a few on YouTube so you know what to expect.

Last edited:
I've also heard it is painful - go for the sedation! I have an appt with my hemo for another iron infusion. My ferritin is currently 500! From what I read and comparing my iron results it looks as though I have anemia of chronic disease also. My hematologist states it is low iron anemia. I even had him look at my lab results a second time on another day because I was sure he made a mistake. Do you mind sharing your iron results, Scott?
My iron has always been fine with no supplementation.. my iron on the 6th was 69, saturation was 25% and ferritin was around 300. My hgb is 10 and hematocrit is 31%

I am pretty sure my anemia is of chronic disease and that being malnutrition

My iron has always been fine with no supplementation.. my iron on the 6th was 69, saturation was 25% and ferritin was around 300. My hgb is 10 and hematocrit is 31%

I am pretty sure my anemia is of chronic disease and that being malnutrition

I have similar patterns in my iron studies. I am thinking of getting a second opinion before getting another iron infusion (I had two in the hospital, plus a blood transfusion). I hope you get this sorted out soon. You are tough and can handle the bone biopsy. Keep us posted.

@DSRIGGS sedation is the treatment of choice! My daughter had one during her cancer work up and even with IV demerol sedation she still wimpered. I must also confess, it is the one test I did not want her to have to go thru. I was given the option of staying with her but for my sanity I caved and waited in another room. still feel guilty about that. . .
have the sedation. The are boring into a bone for Gods sake. . .
and hugs to you darlin'

@DSRIGGS sedation is the treatment of choice! My daughter had one during her cancer work up and even with IV demerol sedation she still wimpered. I must also confess, it is the one test I did not want her to have to go thru. I was given the option of staying with her but for my sanity I caved and waited in another room. still feel guilty about that. . .
have the sedation. The are boring into a bone for Gods sake. . .
and hugs to you darlin'
I am sorry that you and your daughter had to go through that. That was one area where Cameron lucked out as he never had to undergo a marrow biopsy.

Yeah I am definitely getting sedation.

Thanks

@DSRIGGS I just recently had one when the oncologist thought I had cancer. It was not terrible. It was a bit painful, but my oncologist just told me if it starts to get unbearable let him know and he'd give me more anesthesia. He brought a few tears to my eyes and stopped twice for more anesthesia but honestly it wasn't 1/10 the excruciating Pain I had anticipated. The pressure was the worst. Pressure during any surgery gives me nausea and makes me either vomit or want to vomit. Scott all you have been through this is no problem. BTW I'M having my component separation surgery in 6 months

Last edited:
Thanks C. That is good to hear. Some things that were supposed to hurt weren't bad so hopefully this won't either. I just thought it odd that sedation wasn't automatic to have somebody tapping into my bone.

OK...experience here. Worked many times collecting and had one myself. If it is from your sternum...sedation. Hip....no problem. In the hip it isn't as painful as more of a "surprise" when the needle goes through the bone. I had a local and survived. All the best buddy.

I too am having iron problems. I recently moved and lost access to my highly mineralized well water. My nephew once told me it smelled like blood! Iron supplements make me sick. So now I have to see a Hematologist...a new once. I'm hoping my last Hematologist left notes and results of my last bone marrow, because I'm not going through that again. My last bone marrow showed a slight repression of all three blood cell lines (WBC, RBC, and Platelets). It took me a long time to prove to the Hematologist that it was due to zinc and copper deficiencies. So now my iron is 35 (50-170), TIBC 467 (250-450) and Iron Sat 7.5 (20 - 55). My Hbg 11.1 & Hct 35.4 (which is pretty much par for the course). Hess told me I would be chronically anemic for the rest of my life. The iron levels however are causing me to be lightheaded upon rising, slightly short of breath, and I easily tire. Just give me the dang infusions! But noooooooo I have to go through the holidays feeling like crap. Two weeks to see my MD...then another wait to see the Hematologist. BAH. Did I mention that being tired makes me a crabby ass?

OK...experience here. Worked many times collecting and had one myself. If it is from your sternum...sedation. Hip....no problem. In the hip it isn't as painful as more of a "surprise" when the needle goes through the bone. I had a local and survived. All the best buddy.
Thanks darling. It is the hip. I am already hurting in that general region anyway and my bones have ached for pver 2 years, so this wimp is getting sedation. Hopefully it will be just like you said.

Latest posts

Back