Pre-Approval expiration time - delaying surgery

Poogo

Hi! I have surgery scheduled for October and received notice from my job there is an issue with my time off request. I have not been with my company long enough to qualify for use of extended illness time off, but instead may choose to use my PTO of which I have plenty. I am completely understanding of this. (My manager is amazing and will work with my decision.)

Does anyone know in general (I know it may vary) how long the medical pre-approval lasts? I completed my final step in August.

I realize part is now feeling I need to get some eating disorder therapy before I have surgery. There are times I am still out of control with my eating. And I’ve been thinking a lot about that…so this isn’t a terrible bit of news, in fact I think I feel a bit of relief, but I’m wondering how far I can push my surgery back…before I’d need to start the entire process over…

I agree with southernlady 's advice, but will add a caution that your insurer MAY be able to cancel your approval, so it may be wise to get your surgery done before that happens. At a support group meeting years ago, I met a lovely woman who had this happen, and it turned out that her insurer could cancel up to 48 hours before the scheduled surgery date. And that's what happened to her. So, if/when you make that call to the insurance company, find out about this as well.
It's sad that we have to think in these terms, and that someone (in this case you) might proceed with surgery when you aren't quite 100% sure if your ready out of fear that if you don't, you will lose this opportunity, but that's reality.

I would emphasize that your need to delay is work related - do not even HINT that you don’t feel ready for surgery! But do the work.

Latest posts

Back