Had a bit of a leak under shower in 3/4 bath, so…

Yes, indeed. Where the broom is leaning is where the vanity WAS. The hole is where the oddly shaped shower base WAS.

When we redid my bathroom, we took out the tub…he’d never use it and it was too dangerous for me. That left us with a no-bathtub house. We had two 3/4-bathrooms plus a bizarre toilet-in-a-closet in the laundry room thing. So three toilets, two showers and zero tubs. I think a no-bathtub house is strange. Especially when your colorectal surgeon says to “take a sitz bath.”

Then we discovered a leak UNDER the shower pan in “his” bathroom. It may have been there a long time, because we never saw it. Our gardeners noticed a wet area on the outside of the house and we figured it out. And the room layout needed improvement. And we’re old and sore.

So many thousands of dollars later, we’re about to be the owners of one of these:

I just hope it drains fast enough!

Oh. And planning this installation is how we discovered that although our RECEIPT is for a 40-gallon water heater, our NEW water heater is a 30-gallon heater. That plumbing company, which screwed up another installation of something, hasn’t returned my phone call…even AFTER the nice people at our credit card company took the money from the plumber and put it back into our account.

We think 30 gallons is plenty for two people and since a 40-gallon is a more standard size it COSTS less. But we ORDERED a 40 and our receipt says 40 and we likely *NEED (at least) a 40, but the label on the tank says “30.” So we disputed the charge and so far, we don’t have to pay for it.

Free is OFTEN a good deal. And we have a history with that, but with a different company. We did $11k, with just one retailer, in kitchen redo, on their credit card. Of that, ≈$3k was for counters. But then the pandemic hit. Nobody came to measure for counters or even CALL to discuss the problem. Our kitchen sink sat on SAWHORSES forever. Then the $11k showed up on that credit card. So I called to dispute the $3k. First, I learned that I couldn’t dispute PART of a charge. So I disputed the whole enchilada. Then crickets. And finally, I got a bill for $ZERO. So the second thing I learned is that when you dispute a charge, the retailer has a time limit…I think it’s “two billing cycles”…to prove you DO owe them the money, or you pay nothing.

~~~~~~~
*The tub people say the UNOCCUPIED tub has a 75 gallon capacity. OCCUPIED, it’s approximately 45 gallons and not all of that is hot water. So I guess we could increase the water heater temp and see how that works. OR our handyman can replace the water heater cheaply, because the installation was done correctly and a larger water heater will fit there…so no extra labor/labor charges.
~~~~~~~~
I think I need a bath.

We once had a house with an 80 gallon water heater. Daughter wanted to see if she could run it out. I said okay, ONE time. She actually fell asleep standing up that time. I’ve never figured out how she stayed upright. Took her two hours. The cold water woke her up.

Liz, I am surprised people can sleep standing up...but I believe people fall asleep driving, unfortuately. so it makes sense.

but we are not horses! it might be someone who CAN fall asleep in the shower is sleep deprived. :dontknow:

That plumbing company, which screwed up another installation of something, hasn’t returned my phone call…even AFTER the nice people at our credit card company took the money from the plumber and put it back into our account.

oh, good, I hope it ends up being free!!!!

that tub looks awesome: good for you guys! wheeee!!

We once had a house with an 80 gallon water heater. Daughter wanted to see if she could run it out. I said okay, ONE time. She actually fell asleep standing up that time. I’ve never figured out how she stayed upright. Took her two hours. The cold water woke her up.
I love I-told-ya-so’s…especially when you don’t have to actually SAY it…lol

When life hands you lemons you make a tub of lemonade! :) Glad you will have a new bath!

I have another batch of lemonade to create. (Two actually, but one is for a parking ticket.)

The brand new $2k+ water heater is only 30 gallons. Not enough hot water, even when we turned it up to 140°, and it will be WAY too cool in cold weather. So that’s a mess until October.

And the parking ticket. Well, really. We were cited, DianaCox …I’ll start a new thread.

Latest posts

Back