Greece and France at 5 months out?

It was a special skill. I went to the bathroom a lot. And he wasn't home during the day. I had quit the year before (and secretly restarted) and he assumed any odor was lingering smoke in the carpet and furniture. (But there was a huge CLOUD of smoke in the house.) In a non-smoking hotel room which we had because I, ahem, didn't smoke, I'd stand on the edge of the tub, grip the shower curtain rod and blow the smoke up in the fan. One time he came in the hotel room, went to the bathroom, stormed to the phone and demanded they fire the housekeeper for smoking in the room because he had found a cigarette butt in the toilet. I had to do damage control on that one.
hahahahaha! That is too funny. I want to party with you! You are a hoot!

I may be the odd duck here, but I think I'd be fine doing that trip 3 months out. Now, I did a Europe trip last year of 11 countries, so covered some of the same territory, and some of the meals were included, but there was always SOMEthing proteiny that there was at least a few bites of. Also, I'm years out from my DS, so I wasn't worried about being in a bind if I had to eat other stuff, and a baguette and cheese in my backpack were the norm, but you should ask what the meals consist of, and often there are still choices, even if it's just between fish or beef choice.

Another things that helps, is if you are ready to "do as the Romans" to get the bites of protein. I am NOT an adventurous eater, but have now eaten escargots, bone marrow (and I mean out of the bone with a spoon, not as a soup stock) and several types of big weird knuckle of something or other.

In general, I'd skip the bread with meals, always. It's most likely to cause issue, and you won't have room for it anyway. Breakfasts there were typically crappy scrambled-ish eggs (not sure what else to call those), sliced meats, and cheeses, and sometimes yogurt or curd. I'd eat some, and if I felt it may be a long stretch till I ate again, I sometimes put some stuff on a roll and wrap it in my pocket, even if I only ate the middle stuff later.

And I'd just skip the alcohol altogether. I'm not much of a drinker, especially wine, so I didn't care. You are going to be feeling much better in 3 months than you do now, but there are a few people that have complications, so if you are worried, maybe think about trip insurance.

I don't think food will be an issue. It is just all about how you feel, to me.

As bearmom said, European breakfast typically has eggs, meats and cheese to stock up on for the day so that should carry you a long way... And there are always shops with sandwiches, meats and cheese in these cities so if you need to grab something not included I am sure you will find things to nibble on during the day.

I can't get full. The 1-2 ounces I can eat just doesn't do it. I just eat enough to get my protein in.

That's really awesome that carbs don't give you gas. There's been some nights I've almost made myself sick from the smell if i eat the wrong foods.

I have days where I am eating every couple of hours it's so annoying because it feels like I'm pigging out but I guess I'm really not when you consider that it's not a whole lot of food, but I can get in a good amount at a sitting... 8 ounces or more. But then there are days where everything looks icky, I don't want to eat, and I have to force myself to eat to get the protein I need. Those days are fairly frequent and they kind of suck. Food is no longer much fun - it's all about survival now.

@Clematis that's awesome that carbs don't give you gas! I can eat a tiny bit of carbs but if I go over a yet-to-be-determined amount and I can't stand my stench... and I can clear the entire house even with the fan on, door closed, and copious amounts of air freshener used. And then there are the runs... o_O Fortunately I know I can control it - I just need to figure out how many carbs I can handle before nuclear meltdown and stick to that amount.

Two points :

With a DS you NEED to eat every couple hours. That is how it works.

Gas stinks and if you are worried about it take Devrom. It works pretty well.

Two points :

With a DS you NEED to eat every couple hours. That is how it works.

Gas stinks and if you are worried about it take Devrom. It works pretty well.

Thanks Scott. It seems that eating schedules are all over the board here and I was beginning to feel kind of... well, freakish.
As for the gas, I deal with it ok most of the time and fortunately it's not an issue out in public because I'm *very* careful about what I eat when I know I have to go out. My son, well, he's a big boy now and if my gas bothers him *that* much I suppose he could move out and find a less gassy roommate ;)

Now that I know the every two hour bit is normal, I've got to learn to deal with the days where I don't want to eat at all. Usually a tiny tummy day will be followed by a hollow leg day and the average protein for the two days is > 120g per day. Will this work or should I force myself to take in a full 120+ on the days where I just can't eat?

I'm still trying to get the hang of this so I really truly appreciate the input.

Thanks Scott. It seems that eating schedules are all over the board here and I was beginning to feel kind of... well, freakish.
As for the gas, I deal with it ok most of the time and fortunately it's not an issue out in public because I'm *very* careful about what I eat when I know I have to go out. My son, well, he's a big boy now and if my gas bothers him *that* much I suppose he could move out and find a less gassy roommate ;)

Now that I know the every two hour bit is normal, I've got to learn to deal with the days where I don't want to eat at all. Usually a tiny tummy day will be followed by a hollow leg day and the average protein for the two days is > 120g per day. Will this work or should I force myself to take in a full 120+ on the days where I just can't eat?

I'm still trying to get the hang of this so I really truly appreciate the input.
I am not sure there is a hard fast rule but to me things average out. I am not a huge fan of forcing anything other than liquids and vites (only when eating well enough to take full regimen). That being said I don't really have tiny tummy days. I have meals sometimes when I don't feel like eating a tin but never really a whole day...... But I am not your normal ds patient as I just ate a10oz steak, serving of mashed potatoes and green beans with bacon. I will be hungry in 45 minutes I am sure

I can't wait to have this kind of travel dilema. Greece has been on my radar for a while as there is actually a Kassandra, Greece! I invision collecting all kinds of tourist crap and hotel stationary with my name on it lol. One day...

Now that I look back at things, I did my annual golf week with my buds at 6 months out and was just fine. My golf was atrocious because I had no strength when it came to hitting the ball and swinging a club, but I felt get and had a good time. That included an 8 hour drive to and from Nashville.

Try Avon 24 hour deodorant. I don't wear deodorant anymore but when I first became MO over a very short period, I got a funk not resolved by anything. Avon saved my life in that department. It is the strongest thing I found.

Go! Enjoy! :) You can always take it easy, if need be, by modifying plans on the go and still have a fabulous time! Food and bathroom issues are small matters so long as you have a private bath to which you can retreat and if you can pack some some dry goods or protein bars as a contingency plan.

Do sample a glass of wine at home first, as Liz suggested, before imbibing in another setting, and remember moderation.

I use poupourri and demeter fragrances to mask any unpleasant odors.

Every day is the best day. Go for it!

I'm sad to report I'm not going. In May, we're going to put our huge house on the market and downsize. My husband suggests that it would not be a good idea for me to disappear for the month of April as I need to get the house ready for sale -- I won't be able to attend to the outside until April so can't do it ahead of time. Although this particular tour to Greece isn;t offered again this year, perhaps I'll go somewhere else in September.

I'm sad to report I'm not going. In May, we're going to put our huge house on the market and downsize. My husband suggests that it would not be a good idea for me to disappear for the month of April as I need to get the house ready for sale -- I won't be able to attend to the outside until April so can't do it ahead of time. Although this particular tour to Greece isn;t offered again this year, perhaps I'll go somewhere else in September.
I'm sorry you aren't getting to go.

Latest posts

Back