Enhanced Malabsorbtion and No Carbs

Yup. The luxury of a hot dog or a hamburger on a real bun. Fries. A taco. Fried rice. Toast. Fruit. Pasta. Chips. Things regular people eat every day.

It is cheat day 4:20 pm Christmas Eve to 4:20 pm Christmas day. I get to eat a banana tomorrow for breakfast. That will bring my fruit consumption for 2020 up to my 10 bite per year limit! And tonight before bed, a hot fudge sundae.

So.... I missed the basics, besides gummy bears ;) can you please say what your good day diet goals are?

Is the goal as few carbs as possible?

Does fat count?

So, what's wrong with hot dogs in your scheme?

I get cheat days... but they assume a rigid discipline on non cheat days. Most of my discipline comes from theVSG, thers is just no way I can comfortably overeat at one sitting. The rest is from the DS.. it takes a lot of serious continual eating to gain back the weight.

Is it different for you?

I'm sure you have gone over this, but I've not read all 25 pages of posts

So.... I missed the basics, besides gummy bears ;) can you please say what your good day diet goals are?

Is the goal as few carbs as possible?

Does fat count?

So, what's wrong with hot dogs in your scheme?

I get cheat days... but they assume a rigid discipline on non cheat days. Most of my discipline comes from theVSG, thers is just no way I can comfortably overeat at one sitting. The rest is from the DS.. it takes a lot of serious continual eating to gain back the weight.

Is it different for you?

I'm sure you have gone over this, but I've not read all 25 pages of posts
I can eat the hot dog. Just not with a bun. My diet is low carb. 20 to 30 carbs per day. Forever. Fat doesn't count. I can have as much butter as I want. Just don't have anything to put it on. And yes, I diet with rigid discipline. I pretty much live on Atkins Induction Diet.

I had the DS in 2003 and I am just now kissing a 'normal' BMI for the first time in my life. I am extremely weight loss resistant. Probably destroyed whatever metabolism I had with years of starvation diets. Part of it must be genetic too because I got my first diet at 6 weeks of age and I was breast fed. Ages before I ever made my first food choice. My CC is 75. Shorter than most. I didn't have much 'easy' weight loss after the DS. I had to fight for every pound. And I am still fighting!

I don't deal well with eternal neverending deprivation, hence the cheat days. I can make a list of what I want and I know the day will roll around when I can eat whatever.

If I ate protein plus whatever, I would weigh around 250. I am not happy at that weight. I got the DS so I could be thin and normal so still fat is not acceptable.

New Year's cheat day is just around the proverbial corner. We decided to do it from around 4pm NYE to around 4pm NYD. NYE dinner will be ground sirloin steaks with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. We got banana muffins for breakfast. Then the rest will be snacky things. We got a meat/cheese/cracker platter and a Mexican platter with tortilla chips and salsa. Found a Christmas tin of butter cookies drastically marked down so we got those too. We still have some Ritz crackers and a few cookies from Christmas. Those will go in the treat pile too. Jeff got a package of Twinkies. It will be MORE than enough. And I still have fake Bailey's for my coffee too.

Then...2 weeks till my birthday. And the long slog to Memorial day. But we usually get some sort of treat for Valentine's Day. But just ONE thing. Not a full blown cheat day.

Can't wait. I need to cut back my eating now so I will be really hungry!

I admire your dedication. I never had the weight loss success of some with the DS but I still managed to lose and keep off 200 lbs.

If I had your determination and focus I probably could reach my weight loss goals. Your threads inspire me and remind me with effort goals are attainable.

Unfortunately, the whiny child that lives in me keeps screaming you had a DS because you were not able to execute that left-leaning of discipline. Happy New Year and enjoy your treats!

I can eat the hot dog. Just not with a bun. My diet is low carb. 20 to 30 carbs per day. Forever. Fat doesn't count. I can have as much butter as I want. Just don't have anything to put it on. And yes, I diet with rigid discipline. I pretty much live on Atkins Induction Diet.

I had the DS in 2003 and I am just now kissing a 'normal' BMI for the first time in my life. I am extremely weight loss resistant. Probably destroyed whatever metabolism I had with years of starvation diets. Part of it must be genetic too because I got my first diet at 6 weeks of age and I was breast fed. Ages before I ever made my first food choice. My CC is 75. Shorter than most. I didn't have much 'easy' weight loss after the DS. I had to fight for every pound. And I am still fighting!

I don't deal well with eternal neverending deprivation, hence the cheat days. I can make a list of what I want and I know the day will roll around when I can eat whatever.

If I ate protein plus whatever, I would weigh around 250. I am not happy at that weight. I got the DS so I could be thin and normal so still fat is not acceptable.

For me it was the GD T2 diabetes.. the slow accumulation of meds over the years drove me nuts. The prospect of paying for all that crap in retirement got me to seek out a local surgeon

Don't get me wrong, I love the weight loss, I've gained and lost over 100 pounds more than once.. just the older I got the harder it was.. and I despaired of doing it without real help. I've been very fit several times in life.. and missed the things I could once do. It was not shame.. put me on a dance floor with a good beat, and I'll move better than a boston dynamics robot*, weight be damned. Even at 300+ women, unknown to me, would come up and dance... maybe it was the novelty of a big dance partner who could keep time

One other thing that drove me nuts was the slow accumulation of medical aids... the cpap that needed electricity... the byetta that needed refrigeration.. the pills that needed sorting. I could handle it, but I kept thinking I could never hike backwoods for months at atime like I did in my 20s and 30s.. I needed too much medical gear, and the gear needed refrigeration and electric outlets.. try to find those inthe back stretches of Georgia's yellow creek mountains

Now the co-morbidities are gone and, because of size, I can shop in the second hand stores once again.. I'll still dance with anyone, or all alone, weight be damned

Last edited:
I admire your dedication. I never had the weight loss success of some with the DS but I still managed to lose and keep off 200 lbs.

If I had your determination and focus I probably could reach my weight loss goals. Your threads inspire me and remind me with effort goals are attainable.

Unfortunately, the whiny child that lives in me keeps screaming you had a DS because you were not able to execute that left-leaning of discipline. Happy New Year and enjoy your treats!
I'm with you, ms vee

It's not really dedication. That would be way too healthy for me to be dedicated.

It's anger. I despise myself for having the most extreme WLS on the planet and still being a fat cow. Oh how I wanted to be one of those people who lost too much too fast. But...HELL no. I am the one who took 20 freaking years to reach a normal BMI. Despite walking, running, swimming, rowing, and climbing thousands of miles.

And I am enjoying my cheat day! I didn't know how much I missed crackers and tortilla chips. Only 3.5 hours left then back to the grind.

It's not really dedication. That would be way too healthy for me to be dedicated.

It's anger. I despise myself for having the most extreme WLS on the planet and still being a fat cow. Oh how I wanted to be one of those people who lost too much too fast. But...HELL no. I am the one who took 20 freaking years to reach a normal BMI. Despite walking, running, swimming, rowing, and climbing thousands of miles.

And I am enjoying my cheat day! I didn't know how much I missed crackers and tortilla chips. Only 3.5 hours left then back to the grind.

Fwiiw... exercise is beneficial... but not for weight loss

The benefit seems to be the loss of visceral fat balanced by a gain in muscle, well that and a longer life

"even in the absence of weight loss, exercise may cause a 6 percent drop in visceral fat levels"

"The fear is that the relatively unchanging number on the bathroom scale will disillusion people out of exercising altogether, and then they really would miss out on exercise’s myriad benefits, which may indeed include living longer. Walking briskly just fifteen minutes a day is associated with a life span gain of about two years, for example, and an hour a day may give us four more years on this earth."

Ref Greger... how not to diet

BTW.. congrats on meeting your goal

Last edited:
Fwiiw... exercise is beneficial... but not for weight loss

The benefit seems to be the loss of visceral fat balanced by a gain in muscle, well that and a longer life

"even in the absence of weight loss, exercise may cause a 6 percent drop in visceral fat levels"

"The fear is that the relatively unchanging number on the bathroom scale will disillusion people out of exercising altogether, and then they really would miss out on exercise’s myriad benefits, which may indeed include living longer. Walking briskly just fifteen minutes a day is associated with a life span gain of about two years, for example, and an hour a day may give us four more years on this earth."

Ref Greger... how not to diet

BTW.. congrats on meeting your goal
Thanks! Don't kid yourself, I will never be happy with my weight. It is just not in my DNA to not think I could still lose more! I will always be preparing for the next gain!

I have read what you said about exercise before but it has not held true for me. My semi-automatic weight loss post DS was right around 50 lbs and then I just quit losing. I was beside myself. I tried everything including going down to 10 carbs a day for a while. I wasn't even allowed to have SF ketchup. Life was dismal on that. I lived on HB eggs, tuna, and baked chicken.

I lived in Minnesota then. I figured the only thing I could do was add exercise. I loathe exercise. So it's -30 and I am out there walking 5 miles a day. I was either freezing or being eaten alive by bugs. 8 times around my neighborhood was 5 miles. Over and over. I hated wasting that much time so I got couch to 5K and started teaching myself how to run. And OMG, it worked. I actually learned how to run. I got to where I could run 8 miles pretty easily and I was satisfied with that. I didn't want to push it any further. I was proud of myself for being able to do it but bottom line, I still hated it. The idea was still to be able to do 5 miles and do it a lot faster than just walking.

It helped. I was able to go back to 20 to 30 carbs a day and still lose weight. I have always thought it improved my metabolism and increased my muscle mass. And that was letting me lose weight. If I took a week off just because life happens some times, I would quit losing so I am pretty sure the activity was helping. Now, I can say for sure I lose more when I am wrangling palm trees, moving rock, or in the heat of the summer, using my climber/treadmill/rower. The more active I am, the better chance I have of losing. I have proved that to myself over and over. Mostly because I didn't want it to be true.

I have also lost a lot of subcutaneous fat. And that is hard to lose! THEY( the experts) say you lose subcutaneous fat after most of the visceral fat is gone. If that is true, I am making real progress. But losing subcutaneous fat makes the loose skin look worse. Damn it!

Thanks! Don't kid yourself, I will never be happy with my weight. It is just not in my DNA to not think I could still lose more! I will always be preparing for the next gain!

I have read what you said about exercise before but it has not held true for me. My semi-automatic weight loss post DS was right around 50 lbs and then I just quit losing. I was beside myself. I tried everything including going down to 10 carbs a day for a while. I wasn't even allowed to have SF ketchup. Life was dismal on that. I lived on HB eggs, tuna, and baked chicken.

I lived in Minnesota then. I figured the only thing I could do was add exercise. I loathe exercise. So it's -30 and I am out there walking 5 miles a day. I was either freezing or being eaten alive by bugs. 8 times around my neighborhood was 5 miles. Over and over. I hated wasting that much time so I got couch to 5K and started teaching myself how to run. And OMG, it worked. I actually learned how to run. I got to where I could run 8 miles pretty easily and I was satisfied with that. I didn't want to push it any further. I was proud of myself for being able to do it but bottom line, I still hated it. The idea was still to be able to do 5 miles and do it a lot faster than just walking.

It helped. I was able to go back to 20 to 30 carbs a day and still lose weight. I have always thought it improved my metabolism and increased my muscle mass. And that was letting me lose weight. If I took a week off just because life happens some times, I would quit losing so I am pretty sure the activity was helping. Now, I can say for sure I lose more when I am wrangling palm trees, moving rock, or in the heat of the summer, using my climber/treadmill/rower. The more active I am, the better chance I have of losing. I have proved that to myself over and over. Mostly because I didn't want it to be true.

I have also lost a lot of subcutaneous fat. And that is hard to lose! THEY( the experts) say you lose subcutaneous fat after most of the visceral fat is gone. If that is true, I am making real progress. But losing subcutaneous fat makes the loose skin look worse. Damn it!

Well I'm glad I'm wrong... what works works

The last time I concentrated on exercise was pre DS. Walking 5 miles each day dropped me about 60 lbs, down to 270. Just could not budge from there, it it did naught for the co morbidities

The time before that was way before, and I dropped from 240 down to 170. That time I became a gym rat for a year and a half. At 170, I look normal

Neither time did I have the discipline needed to stay low

So it helps, but for me, it was mainly a displacement activity, All the time exercising was time not eating.

These days I exercise. Weights in the morning and a 2 mile walk in the evening. In the summer I'll kayak again. I hope it helps the weight, but mostly I just like feeling stronger

Best of luck... but you probably don't need it, you seem to make your own

We switched things up. We didn't do much cheating after breakfast New Year's Day. We quit way early because we decided to trade the rest of our day so we could go out to dinner tonight. Jeff wanted a teriyaki steak and au gratin potatoes and I wanted lobster mac n cheese. So we switched it up. I am going to enjoy it and I won't let this become a slippery slope downhill. Even with dinner tonight we will still end up having a less than full day cheat so I don't have to feel too bad.

At least not too bad to enjoy every bite of dinner.

My birthday cheat day will be over at 9pm. I had half a cinnamon bun, toast, bagel dogs, popcorn, ice cream, chocolate covered cherries, fudge, and an amazing birthday dinner of bologna sandwiches on Great Harvest white bread.

Our next cheat day will be April 4th. EasterOver. The long slog starts at 9pm.

I am ordering SF gummy bears tonight too.

What, not even for St. Patrick's Day? That really is a long slog you have planned.
We hadn't considered St Patrick's Day. We will have to discuss it. Maybe we will have a corned beef sandwich.

I guess I sort of stopped thinking of it as a holiday because of the pandemic. We went out last year because we thought it would be our last chance because they were going to close everything down. And they did!

Latest posts

Back