DS research in Washington state

Roudoudou

Hello, everyone!

I had originally posted this on Obesity Help but Larra kindly suggested this forum for me due to the prevalence of veteran DS-ers.

Went and saw a surgeon last week, and he says he only does the newer loop procedure (per him, because of less chance of malabsorption and bad diarrhea). Said he wouldn't do the regular DS on me (BMI is 45) but said maybe one of his colleagues would, so I had a consult with him yesterday.
While he has great credentials, he has only done TWO of the loop procedures and NONE of the DS surgeries. He did say he'd be willing to do the DS on me, although I'd be his first! I have to say, that surprised me. Maybe a bit of surgeon pride? Interestingly enough, it turns out the first surgeon has never done the loop procedure even once; I hadn't asked him that but thought it interesting he didn't mention it. They seem to be pretty sleeve-happy at this clinic.

Bottom line is I have not yet ruled out the SADI procedure but am going to make an appointment with the one surgeon in Washington state who has extensive experience with the DS (yes, there's only one!) and that's Dr. Myur Srikanth. This will make WLS consult #4 but I don't want to mess around with my body. I get one shot at this!

Posting as I was surprised to find it so difficult to find a surgeon in a large metropolitan area as Seattle who does the DS. At least there's one!

Hi again! Good to see you here.
I had a feeling you would hear something along those lines at consult #2. And really, surgeon #1 should have had the decency to tell you he had never even done the operation he was proposing for you, and that's leaving aside the experimental nature of the SADI. At least surgeon #2 was honest about the extent of his experience, or lack thereof.

Dr. Srikanth has an excellent reputation. We've had some of his patients here as well. I hope your consult with him will work out. Oh, and regarding the "less chance of malabsorption" thing? Without malabsorption, you might as well just have a sleeve and be done with it. And unfortunately, we are seeing new people here and elsewhere every week with failed sleeves, because we NEED malabsorption, and the metabolic changes caused by bypassing the proximal small intestine, to create and sustain our weight loss. If restriction by itself was the solution any operation with any component of malabsorption.

Welcome, @Roudoudou Dr. Srikanth is an excellent option.

Posting as I was surprised to find it so difficult to find a surgeon in a large metropolitan area as Seattle who does the DS. At least there's one!
It surprises you? Considering that there are many states with NO DS surgeon, it isn't surprising. Seattle is number 13 on the list of CSA (combined statistical areas) Of the 12 ahead of it... #6, and #9 don't have a DS surgeon either (#6 is Boston area, #9 is Houston area) and the rest are lucky to have ONE.

I am very biased but I think the SADI is not a solid option. The DS works and there is tons of data available showing that to be true. We can't say the same for the loop. The way I look at it is why put yourself through all the stress of recovering from major surgery when there is a very real possibility that the loop will fail you.

Best wishes.

By the way I am pretty sure another board member just had a real DS with this D

Welcome! I like your attitude and willingness to continue to consult to find the right surgeon and surgery (if any) for you.

They seem to be pretty sleeve-happy at this clinic.

Welcome.

When I started going to support groups (over 11 years ago) we'd go around in a circle and say what surgery we had. It was all RNYers (with a couple of bands thrown in) and 1 DS (me). I hadn't been to a support group in about 6 months so I went to one last week. We all said what surgery we had. All pre and post op sleeves and 1 DS (me). It was curious b/c the SADI is done at this hospital. But not a one. Just sleeves. It's quite a change over the last few years. And from what I've seen at other hospital support groups, the sleeve seems to have taken over at all of them, so the surgeon you saw isn't alone.

Welcome aboard!

Washington state who has extensive experience with the DS (yes, there's only one!) and that's Dr. Myur Srikanth.
I have not yet had my surgery with Dr Srikanth but I am very impressed with him so far. I think you will like him, he is very upbeat. He did push a loop, but @trace just had her surgery and got a DS from him, and I'm certain (if I get approved) I will get the DS as well.

Welcome. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the right Dr. Dr. Srikanth is the man! Look at data carefully. I really like the idea of the SADI-S but there is not enough data for me. It's still new.

I wanted to be one and done with this surgery. I wanted to be done with this weight issue and never think about it again. It's a good year after surgery until this becomes part of your life as far as I can tell, I did not want years more of struggling and a second surgery.

I have always believed it's the malabsorbtion that keeps the weight off. Less equals regain. Without the malabsorbtion it's just another diet! And we all know how well those work!

My prediction - the SADI/SIPS/LoopDS patients will be regaining at 5 years out. And sooner for those of them who don't know they didn't get a proper DS and are eating fat and protein like we do, or who are assuming that "it's just the same" like their lying surgeons told them. But they will ALSO have more malnutrition than the sleevers, because they have not one f'ing clue what and how much is being malabsorbed, and have been lulled into complacent non-compliance, because they believe their surgery is "safer" than a proper DS.

My feelings about SADI/SIPS/LoopDS: it's probably better than an RNY - but it's NOT a DS.

My prediction - the SADI/SIPS/LoopDS patients will be regaining at 5 years out. And sooner for those of them who don't know they didn't get a proper DS and are eating fat and protein like we do, or who are assuming that "it's just the same" like their lying surgeons told them. But they will ALSO have more malnutrition than the sleevers, because they have not one f'ing clue what and how much is being malabsorbed, and have been lulled into complacent non-compliance, because they believe their surgery is "safer" than a proper DS.

My feelings about SADI/SIPS/LoopDS: it's probably better than an RNY - but it's NOT a DS.

That was my take when I was making the decision. I think it will be better than the sleeve too.

Welcome aboard!

I have not yet had my surgery with Dr Srikanth but I am very impressed with him so far. I think you will like him, he is very upbeat. He did push a loop, but @trace just had her surgery and got a DS from him, and I'm certain (if I get approved) I will get the DS as well.

Thanks; I saw Dr. Srikanth last week and thought he was great. Obviously knows his stuff and great bedside manner, too. Now to do all of the labs he has ordered for me! But I am excited; he did say he'd do a traditional DS on me but reminded me I have six months to think about it. :)

Hey, I'm from Seattle, although I went to Mexico for my surgery cuz I didn't really feel the love for Srikanth. Have you noticed that he brags about how HIS patients are top of the statistics for diet and compliance measurements. Personally, I felt like if I would have to fight him to get the DS and then fight him on follow up not being the same as the other surgeries and then fight him about ... From my research, his patients all thought he did a good job with the surgery but most of them are the types that will lecture me on how I shouldn't drink and eat at the same time or that I need b-12 or stuff like that. In other words, they didn't know what exactly they needed to know about their specific surgery. I think ignorance with the DS is a bad match, even with hand holding and so it made me nervous that there were all these people that hadn't bothered to educate themselves and a doctor that encouraged them.

So, if you are the type that would like their hand held, even if it increases your limitations, then he is probably great for you. If you are the type like me, that tries to do everything "BY MYSELF!!" then you will want to at least manage your own follow up, if you can get him to do the DS.

I don't know enough to comment on loop .vs. DS. Personally, I wanted to only do this once. Above all, I wanted it the whole fat stage of my life OVER, and experimental surgery didn't sound like that was a good match. Especially in an industry where they are fine slowly moving you along from a band to an RNY to a Revision DS. Each step is nothing but suffering for the patient and the surgeons just like to cut. My advice -- get the best surgeon you can, travelling to them is not a big deal at all.

I'm beyond hammered with the holidays, but if you would like to get together in January, let me know. I'm 2+ years out and happy to help because I had some awesome local support that helped me and it is my turn to give.

Rabkin used to come up to Seattle to do surgery. He stopped about 4 years ago once Srikanth hit his stride and was the go-to guy here. There's been some great successes here with Srikanth. I've never met him but the majority of the support group I used to run here was his patients.

Feel free to reach out if you need support or just want to chat.

Latest posts

Back