Does anyone know what part of this upper GI report means?

MarineWife13

Patient is status post gastric bypass surgery with postsurgical changes. Mild distention of gastric pouch is seen.

Patient ingested barium tablet without difficulty and no delay in passage.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I believe it means you had a gastric bypass your pouch is mildly stretches out. When he did the barium test it appeared there were blockages.

Not a whole lot. It just means the barium went into and out of the pouch without problem.

Charris, thanks for your response. I am hoping I can still get a revision because of the lack of weight. I'm really worried now.

Larra, Thanks for reading and giving your advice do you think this portion "Mild distention of gastric pouch is seen" of the test and the lack of weight loss since 2012 will help me be a candidate for a revision?

It doesn't sound helpful. Was there any comment about the size of the stoma? Everyone assumes that the size of the pouch is the key factor, but if the stoma is too wide, food just falls out of the pouch into the small intestine, leaving the patient with an empty pouch and hungry all the time. This can also cause reactive hypoglycemia. If this is happening, a small pouch (or just a slightly enlarged pouch) is of no help at all for weight loss.
You mentioned that you are having a phone consult with Dr. K. He will want to see the films for himself. It's not the same as watching the study as it progresses, but still useful. I would think that any potential DS revision surgeon you consult with will want to see the study.

Latest posts

Back