Completely Confused and Not Sure What To Do

I heard back from Kristina and Dr. K. has agreed to do the surgery. He said the pouch is very small, but he feels confident in doing the conversion. I just have a few hoops to jump through for insurance, but I will have these completed this week. Once these are done, they can schedule my surgery date. I'm very excited, but a little nervous and scared as well. Now, my biggest issue is not having someone with me. I thought my aunt was going to be to travel with me, but both she and my mother are not in good health so it looks like I will be going alone. I know I have to find a caregiver or someone to be there when I'm discharged, but trying to figure out how much care I might need after is hard to determine. It's hard to know how much help you will need until after the surgery. Has anyone else had to hire a caregiver for after surgery care when having surgery out of state? I was thinking the biggest issues will probably be bathing, and maybe transportation. Dr.K. did tell me that most likely I will be leaving the hospital with a feeding tube. Thanks!

I don't have any answers as far as a care giver goes, but I'm very happy for you that Dr. K has agreed to operate and believes he can help you.

Congratulations @annabellarose77! As a general rule, Dr. K. gives all RNY to DS a feeding tube. It is a big surgery and you will be glad to have it.
I'm a little concerned about not having someone to travel with you. Kristina once told me that Dr. K. will cancel surgery if the patient does not have a support person with them. She told me a story of someone who flew in for surgery alone and was sent back home. Perhaps having a caregiver to pick you up is okay, but you might want to check with Kristina to be sure. I honestly could not have stayed in the hotel and traveled alone. After surgery the focus is on hydration, walking, and resting - then repeat. You may or may not need help with your feeding tube, bandages, getting dressed, picking up food items from the store (water, broth, protein drinks), carrying anything heavy (such as a suitcase), getting in and out of bed, and getting through the airport and to your plane. You can use Uber or Lyft for transportation to your recheck appointment and to the airport. You can request a wheelchair in advance for the airport. Others will say they traveled alone for a virgin DS, but the RNY to DS is a bigger surgery.

Congratulations @annabellarose77! As a general rule, Dr. K. gives all RNY to DS a feeding tube. It is a big surgery and you will be glad to have it.
I'm a little concerned about not having someone to travel with you. Kristina once told me that Dr. K. will cancel surgery if the patient does not have a support person with them. She told me a story of someone who flew in for surgery alone and was sent back home. Perhaps having a caregiver to pick you up is okay, but you might want to check with Kristina to be sure. I honestly could not have stayed in the hotel and traveled alone. After surgery the focus is on hydration, walking, and resting - then repeat. You may or may not need help with your feeding tube, bandages, getting dressed, picking up food items from the store (water, broth, protein drinks), carrying anything heavy (such as a suitcase), getting in and out of bed, and getting through the airport and to your plane. You can use Uber or Lyft for transportation to your recheck appointment and to the airport. You can request a wheelchair in advance for the airport. Others will say they traveled alone for a virgin DS, but the RNY to DS is a bigger surgery.
Thank you for this information! I would hate to get out there only to be sent back home. Honestly I wasn't thinking about all the little things I might need help with like with lifting, and my mom is worried about me being alone in a hotel room after surgery if something was to go wrong and I would have no one to call for help. Another family member has agreed to go with me so I'm very thankful for that. One less thing to worry about now. When I had my video consult with Dr. K. and he said I would come home with a feeding tube, I just thought it was to prepare me for worst case scenario. Then I started reading previous threads on here and discovered it was something all revision patients get. I'm ok with getting it because I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around. I've never had any tubes or drains so this will be a new experience. I did have a PICC line right after my RNY and did fine with it so hopefully I will get the hang of using the J tube. Thank you again.

Thank you for this information! I would hate to get out there only to be sent back home. Honestly I wasn't thinking about all the little things I might need help with like with lifting, and my mom is worried about me being alone in a hotel room after surgery if something was to go wrong and I would have no one to call for help. Another family member has agreed to go with me so I'm very thankful for that. One less thing to worry about now. When I had my video consult with Dr. K. and he said I would come home with a feeding tube, I just thought it was to prepare me for worst case scenario. Then I started reading previous threads on here and discovered it was something all revision patients get. I'm ok with getting it because I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around. I've never had any tubes or drains so this will be a new experience. I did have a PICC line right after my RNY and did fine with it so hopefully I will get the hang of using the J tube. Thank you again.

The J-tube is easy. It is a pain to have it sticking in your stomach, but you will get rid of it around week 6. It is very handy for dumping in water and protein when you can't drink much early out.

I have a tentative surgery date, October 13. Friday the 13th, lol. The nerves are starting to set in now. I know the date will be here before I know it.
If you didn't get a bit anxious, then I'd worry. You know this is a big deal and a little anxiety is normal. I'm happy to learn you'll not be alone. I'm a terrible patient in that I hate visitors. However, knowing my husband was there helped me from being all alone.

Again, best wishes for travel mercies and a smooth procedure and recovery.

I have a tentative surgery date, October 13. Friday the 13th, lol. The nerves are starting to set in now. I know the date will be here before I know it.

I was so nervous for my surgery, I asked my PA if they could possibly give me a benzo pre op if I had a panic attack. She assured me that they could if I needed it. I had to drive 2.5 hours to get to the hospital, meet my dad there, and get admitted, the whole deal. Just thinking about it would make me anxious. But the day of, I was SO EXCITED. I didn't even have time to be nervous! Congrats on your surgery date, and start getting excited--your new life is almost here!!

yes, luckily that is coming right up. of course you are nervous, anyone would be! but it will be great when you are on the other side, soon now. :)

I know you must be a nervous wreck! I can't imagine having to go through what you have to, BUT Dr. K is the BEST, in my opinion. He is an excellent surgeon and a very compassionate person. He would be the ONLY surgeon I would trust to do a surgery such as yours. Good Luck!! You are in good hands with Dr. K!! Please keep us informed on your progress.

Latest posts

Back