Upper GI Endoscopy Impressions

RainCity

My sister had gastric bypass almost a year ago and had a follow up endoscopy today to see if the esophagitis she had pre-WLS has improved.

She won’t be seeing her gastroenterologist for another 2-3 weeks to discuss what he found but she was sent home with post-procedure instructions that included some initial findings. Does anyone understand what this means in layman’s terms?

Upper GI Endoscopy Impressions:
Notable findings no esophagitis but irregular SCJ; 2 cm hiatal hernia; 12 cm gastric pouch; 2-lumen jejunal anastomosis, e.g. end to side, with bile

My sister had gastric bypass almost a year ago and had a follow up endoscopy today to see if the esophagitis she had pre-WLS has improved.

She won’t be seeing her gastroenterologist for another 2-3 weeks to discuss what he found but she was sent home with post-procedure instructions that included some initial findings. Does anyone understand what this means in layman’s terms?

Upper GI Endoscopy Impressions:
Notable findings no esophagitis but irregular SCJ; 2 cm hiatal hernia; 12 cm gastric pouch; 2-lumen jejunal anastomosis, e.g. end to side, with bile
Well, part of it means he found a hiatal hernia and confirmed the current size of her pouch. Not sure how many oz a 12 cm pouch would be.

I was able to deduce that she has a hiatal hernia that is 2 cm in size and her pouch is 12 cm / 4.7 in.

What we don’t understand is: 1) if an irregular squamocolumnar junction (SCJ) is anything to be concerned about now or in the future; 2) what does 2-lumen jejunal anastomosis mean and is the example, “end to side, with bile” typical; and 3) whether the size of her pouch is standard. Needless to say, my sister will ask her doctor these questions at her next visit but was hoping someone had some preliminary insight as that could lead to additional lines of inquiry with him.

We’re trying to educate ourself on how to read doctor’s notes so we can better champion our own bariatric care. I’ve learned how important that is from perusing this site.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the knowledgeable veterans on BF that spend so much time helping out the newbies!

1) if an irregular squamocolumnar junction (SCJ) is anything to be concerned about now or in the future;
After asking Dr. Google (and sorting out that it's the guts not the cervix), it seems an irregular one is concerning, esp in combination with the hiatal hernia.
Concerning, yes. A HUGE issue...well, it depends on what else is involved and her GI doc can help there. http://gut.bmj.com/content/42/5/604

lumen jejunal anastomosis
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1948951-overview

whether the size of her pouch is standard
As long as her stoma is not stretched, her pouch does not SOUND too big as an NON RNY lay person but I've always heard it described in size by comparing it to an egg (altho eggs vary in size as well). Its hard to convert 12 cm to a volume as cm is a length not a volume.

Latest posts

Back