brain fog

Oh, and are you taking any PRESCRIPTION meds at all??? Look to see what the side effects can be there.

MY mental fog was due to gabapentin (neurontin) and caused me to end up on disability.

you might try changing to adifferent calcium citrate. There's a tin of B6 in the Kirkland brand and it's too much for some of us.

Oh, and are you taking any PRESCRIPTION meds at all??? Look to see what the side effects can be there.

MY mental fog was due to gabapentin (neurontin) and caused me to end up on disability.

I was just started on Gabapentin for back pain due to disc herniation. It rots the brain?

southernlady,that is rough, I am glad you lost your weight after coming off the RX, you must feel so much better
I did but I was still morbidly obese at the time. However, instead of weighing over 250, I did get down to 200-210 for the next few years. I came off it in 2003 and didn't get my DS until 2011.

But it''s also why I am so against the use of that medication...I understand not everything happens ro everyone, we all have different side effects to medications but that one stole so many years of my life due to memory issues (not long term but short term memory). It IS better but I still have problems.

I did but I was still morbidly obese at the time. However, instead of weighing over 250, I did get down to 200-210 for the next few years. I came off it in 2003 and didn't get my DS until 2011.

But it''s also why I am so against the use of that medication...I understand not everything happens ro everyone, we all have different side effects to medications but that one stole so many years of my life due to memory issues (not long term but short term memory). It IS better but I still have problems.

After your comments, I decided to halt it. For Interstitial Cystitis, which I have had to deal with off and on for twenty years, I was taking Elmiron (not 100% effective, just the ONLY Rx for IC) on a daily basis, and had just been prescribed the Gabapentin. And, I also take--prn pain--pyridium, Urispas and occasionally Norco. Add to that three consecutive Tuesdays of bladder instillations of Heparin and Lidocaine.

So, if I start getting pain relief, how the hell am I supposed to know what, if anything, is providing relief??

I decided that if I stopped the Elmiron, which I don't think was doing anything, and the Gabapentin, and continued to use the prn's intermittently, we could see if the bladder instillations were helping.

I think they are?! Not perfection...but when I need to, I take the prn meds and they seem to work as well as they did when I was on Elmiron and Gabapentin. We shall see.

( Hx...I've had the IC diagnosis forever. But I also have edema from congestive heart failure. So I need to take diuretics...to assist my heart...or I have edema...and walking and breathing at the same time becomes a challenge. UNFORTUNATELY, my already severely screwed-up bladder strongly objects to how efficiently that diuretic fills it with urine and pain spasms result. So the stuff that I apparently have to take to keep breathing causes disabling pain. Frustrating, at best.). (And tends to make me less than 100% compliant. I have a cardiac cath in a week or so...maybe some improvement will result from whatever happens there?)

Golden years...right.

PS...one of the side effects of Gabapentin is edema...which is where we came into this movie.

Magnesium. Little and often. I would take x3 doses per day. It fits with your symptom set. Any heart arythmias?

Poor memory, irritability, sleep disturbance - yes. Muscle cramps - yes. I thought these were a sign of aging. I used to be such a sound sleeper, but now wake up in the night all the time. I thought it was from stress. The lack of sleep makes me irritable. Muscle cramps - I take more minerals and swap out salt substitute for a week and it goes away.

OMG, if this is as easy as taking a B complex every day - Merry Christmas to me.

Sleeping poorly is unfortunately a menopausal thing for many women. Try some melatonin or benedryl and see if it improves. It also may help to limit caffeine from late afternoon on.

Next...salt substitute is usually potassium salts instead of sodium salts. Read your label and make sure. If this is the case you may be deficient in potassium. The cramp shortages are usually potassium, magnesium, calcium, and iron.

Any changes in hair or skin?

Quite a few years ago I worked with a woman named Janet, she was actually a customer I knew well, and she complained of brain fog and dry skin. I got her fish oil and ginko. About 6 weeks later, she sent me a huge food basket thanking me and said she was completely back to normal. Those two things at least won't HURT you.

And yes, I know it's a gelcap. I just compensate by taking more OR here's an oxymoron for you, Puritan does have a tablet formula fish oil. It's an orange flavored chewable. Cheap and it doesn't taste awful especially considering it IS fish oil.

Keep on trying things!

If you are talking about "bariatric beriberi," it's more than anecdotal. But I have thought of that as more of an RnY problem.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/116930-clinical

http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-...stric-bypass-complications/b1-deficiency.html

I wondered about that, too, but she didn't mention any of the other symptoms. ?? Sure wouldn't hurt to know complete lab info, though!

You're definitely right; the RNYers do have Vit. B issues. They need to supplement. What I was discussing was having the memory/recall issues. I really had them a few years out and found anecdotal evidence it might be Vit. B.

This is what I use.

Latest posts

Back