brain fog

Janet1000

I did a search to see if 'brain fog' has already been discussed and did not find anything.

I have noticed that I have been suffering from a strange mental fog for the last 1.5 years. I had my DS exactly 2 years ago this month. 4 years ago I passed the CPA exams with over 90% scores. Today, I'm having trouble remembering simple things. There is this haze in my head. I really notice how muddied my thoughts are compared to 4 years ago. I am 53 yrs old.

I lost 90 lbs from the DS, am no longer diabetic or have sleep apnea. My labs are healthy, and I always take my vits. I eat well, but do eat more carbs than I should. I eat around 50 carbs per day.

I do not exercise regularly. I also have been under some extreme stress at work - I just took a new job yesterday, which is my 3rd job this year. It's been a terrible year job wise, but I've found a better job within 30 days each time - so I haven't lingered unemployed.

My doctor can't find anything wrong with me. Any one out there experience brain fog, or have some ideas on what I can do to lift it? I have googled it and read several articles. Exercise makes the top 10 list of things to try. Any vitamin deficiencies or foods that could contribute to this?

Thanks for any ideas you can share.

it could be a lot of things, I think, or even a combination of things.

if you haven't had labs done you need to. I see you are the same age as me so it could be menopause related. :cautious:

I hope you find the answer!

What supplements are you taking (details please), what lab tests are run, and how do you know they are "good"? Who tells you that? "Good" for a DSer is not the same as "good" for other people.

When I hear "brain fog" in a DSer, my first thought is about iron, and my second one is about protein.

I had it, too. I found some anecdotal evidence regarding Vit. B and WLSers when I began experiencing problems. I started supplementing and things improved greatly. I began with 2 a day and have been at 3 a day for years. My DS nutrit. has no problem with it.

I'm not as great as I was when I was 25; however, that's to be expected. :)

What do your labs look like?
My labs are all within acceptable levels. I have improved on my iron and calcium numbers (annual labs done last week) from last year, and the numbers were within acceptable ranges to begin with.

Test results are still coming in, but I did labs last December (2013) and again last June because I always felt tired and 'hazy' so my doctor ran them June 2014. Again, no numbers jumped out at him as being an issue.

Man, I wish a number would come back low so I would know what to focus on.

I had it, too. I found some anecdotal evidence regarding Vit. B and WLSers when I began experiencing problems. I started supplementing and things improved greatly. I began with 2 a day and have been at 3 a day for years. My DS nutrit. has no problem with it.

If you are talking about "bariatric beriberi," it's more than anecdotal. But I have thought of that as more of an RnY problem.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/116930-clinical

http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-...stric-bypass-complications/b1-deficiency.html

I wondered about that, too, but she didn't mention any of the other symptoms. ?? Sure wouldn't hurt to know complete lab info, though!

What supplements are you taking (details please), what lab tests are run, and how do you know they are "good"? Who tells you that? "Good" for a DSer is not the same as "good" for other people.

When I hear "brain fog" in a DSer, my first thought is about iron, and my second one is about protein.

Attachments

• Janet numbers.docx
    14.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
vitamins for Janet Ashley

2 Kirkland multi

1 copper as TRAACS glycinate chelate 2mg

6 Kirkland calcium citrate 500 mg

3 Magnesium Citrate, 400 mg

1 k-2 menaquinone-7 50 mcg

1 b12 5000mcg

1 Vit C 1000 mg

1 zinc 50 mg

5 elemental carbonyl iron 60 mg (Or 5 Proferin) taken with C

1 D3, 50m000 iu Dry

1 Vit A, 25,000 iu Dry

Various high quality probiotics that I rotate through the month.

I pretty much follow the Vitalady list since I never had a bad number on my labs. I got huge B results last year, so i quit taking a regular B100 vits but still take a B12 pill. That might have something to do with it - but my labs were fairly high in all B vits and I didn't want to make myself sick by overdoing them.

Food for thought. B is the only vit I quit taking, except for B12 which greatly affects my energy levels if I stop taking it. Maybe I should try taking them again and see if it lifts the fog.

I am a good protein eater. Have been for years. I also get at least 60 gms of protein in a powder (ISO Sensation 93%) every day.

I am a heavy dairy eater. I've been wondering if I should cut dairy. Heck, I don't know what to do any more.

My sister thinks it's stress over load and that I have a slight case of PTSD from high-tech/high politics/start-up meat grinder jobs I had this year. She thinks my adrenals are fatigued and I'm mentally exhausted. Stress might be a part of this... but if that were the case, it would ebb and flow as the stress has - and it doesn't. Matter of fact, it feels like it got thicker over time no matter what was happening. This feels like it's supp/DS/nutrient related.

I have uploaded my complete excel file showing lab numbers. I just had my labs done again last week (so they have been ran 3 times this year).

Thanks for helping me find what the cause is. I can't stand living in this haze and it makes my job scary as hell. I drink a lot of coffee to compensate, which isn't good either.

Attachments

• Janet Lab.docx
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
If you are talking about "bariatric beriberi," it's more than anecdotal. But I have thought of that as more of an RnY problem.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/116930-clinical

http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-...stric-bypass-complications/b1-deficiency.html

I wondered about that, too, but she didn't mention any of the other symptoms. ?? Sure wouldn't hurt to know complete lab info, though!
Poor memory, irritability, sleep disturbance - yes. Muscle cramps - yes. I thought these were a sign of aging. I used to be such a sound sleeper, but now wake up in the night all the time. I thought it was from stress. The lack of sleep makes me irritable. Muscle cramps - I take more minerals and swap out salt substitute for a week and it goes away.

OMG, if this is as easy as taking a B complex every day - Merry Christmas to me.

Poor memory, irritability, sleep disturbance - yes. Muscle cramps - yes. I thought these were a sign of aging. I used to be such a sound sleeper, but now wake up in the night all the time. I thought it was from stress. The lack of sleep makes me irritable. Muscle cramps - I take more minerals and swap out salt substitute for a week and it goes away.

OMG, if this is as easy as taking a B complex every day - Merry Christmas to me.

No expert here...but things to think about:
I don't take and vitamin "cocktails," as "barely enough" of one supplement FOR ME, BASED ON MY LAST LABS, might be an "overdose" of another FOR ME, BASED ON MY LAST LABS.

Also, a lot of B100 complex capsules are time release...which means, Elvis may have left the building before the digestive process has worked.

Good luck sorting this out.

Sue

mental fog, could be VB12 def, which clearly you are are not, have your dr test your thyroid

Latest posts

Back