brain fog

I've had insomnia for a long time and in the past when I've tried Melatonin it didn't work but now it does. I really wonder why. better brand? older? not sure.

Oh, and are you taking any PRESCRIPTION meds at all??? Look to see what the side effects can be there.

MY mental fog was due to gabapentin (neurontin) and caused me to end up on disability.
No prescription drugs at all. Not even asprin (which I guess I should take every day).

Magnesium. Little and often. I would take x3 doses per day. It fits with your symptom set. Any heart arythmias?
I take mag with the calcium at least 3 times a day. I will be taking more of it because my labs say my calcium is down to 8.1 (yet a different blood test taken on the same day say calcium is 8.7 - strange). So I will increase my calcium to 4 times a day, accompanied by another mag pill.

Arythmias - no, not in over a year. I've had that heart fluttering before so I would recognize it.

From earlier posts regarding the Vit B cause, I started doing 2 shots of a liquid Vit B-100 complex. I've done it for only a few days, but I swear it's lifting. I'm going to start taking Vit B 6 (100mg) along with a Vit B-50 complex twice a day and see if it lifts in a month.

If that doesn't clear it away, then I will start an elimination diet and see if it is dairy or some other favorite food that I don't want to live without. ;-)

Thanks for all the ideas. So far Vit B does seem to be helping. I hope it's the key.

I'm going to start taking Vit B 6 (100mg) along with a Vit B-50 complex twice a day and see if it lifts in a month.

You need to be wary of B6. The other B vitamins can pee out of your system, but like other post ops I've read of, I have NO problem absorbing B6, and it does NOT dissipate out of my system, and B6 CAN BE TOXIC. I've looked at issues of brain fog at times too, and ran across B6 info that put in on my "never again" list, yet my levels are still much higher then they should be.

You need to be wary of B6. The other B vitamins can pee out of your system, but like other post ops I've read of, I have NO problem absorbing B6, and it does NOT dissipate out of my system, and B6 CAN BE TOXIC. I've looked at issues of brain fog at times too, and ran across B6 info that put in on my "never again" list, yet my levels are still much higher then they should be.
I did read this. I noted the signs of overdosing also. I will be careful with the B6 - and most probably will drop back to taking the B complex only.

Me, too. When I had my hystie I stopped sleeping. Haven't slept without medication assistance for over ten years.
Interesting. You're one of the few I know who never had a hot flash. Wonder if it was due to your hysterectomy? My gyno. told me about 20% of women don't have hot flashes but I'm one of the few in her practice. :) Luckily, I haven't needed med. to sleep. It just takes me a bit longer sometimes to fall asleep & I wake up several times during the night but do go back to sleep. Sometimes it can take a while, but other times it's quick. Guess I'm so used to it by now it's my normal.

From earlier posts regarding the Vit B cause, I started doing 2 shots of a liquid Vit B-100 complex. I've done it for only a few days, but I swear it's lifting. I'm going to start taking Vit B 6 (100mg) along with a Vit B-50 complex twice a day and see if it lifts in a month.

If that doesn't clear it away, then I will start an elimination diet and see if it is dairy or some other favorite food that I don't want to live without. ;-)

Thanks for all the ideas. So far Vit B does seem to be helping. I hope it's the key.

Again...I am no expert and it's none of my business...BUT...

Is there some rational reason that you are taking five (give or take) times the recommended dose of a potentially toxic product? You DID notice that ALL of the vets who have posted on this thread have been warning you that you may be getting TOO MUCH B-6, right? The reason that I warn is that I have seen people hurt themselves with too little B-1 and too much B-6.

You don't have to buy vitamins in "cocktail" formulations. You can buy the ones you need individually and not simultaneously OD on something that causes SERIOUS problems.

Again...I am no expert and it's none of my business...BUT...

Is there some rational reason that you are taking five (give or take) times the recommended dose of a potentially toxic product? You DID notice that ALL of the vets who have posted on this thread have been warning you that you may be getting TOO MUCH B-6, right? The reason that I warn is that I have seen people hurt themselves with too little B-1 and too much B-6.

You don't have to buy vitamins in "cocktail" formulations. You can buy the ones you need individually and not simultaneously OD on something that causes SERIOUS problems.
I've dropped back to the B complex only, and 1 a day now. My lab results came back for B6 this morning, and it was double what is considered 'within range' so I quit taking the B6. All my B numbers are within range after no supplementing. If only my calcium numbers behaved this way :-(

The B complex I take now has 3mg of B6 in it and I'm comfortable with that. None of my B vits numbers are low, but for some reason the the B complex helps lift the fog. If it wasn't helping, I would just drop it and move on to the next experiment.

Thanks for your concern for my well being. I have read the symptoms of toxicity, and discussed the event with my doctor. I'm staying on top of it, and adjusting as the numbers/symptoms come in.

Latest posts

Back