Best tasting protein shakes after surgery?

OrganicLife

I was going through the threads on protein powder, and most of the responses are a few years old.

So my question is, what protein shakes/powder have you enjoyed after surgery that packs a punch of protein? Favorite flavors? Favorite brands? Do you mix anything into the shakes? What do you think of putting a teaspoon of organic no sugar/no salt creamy peanut butter into the shake? Any pros or cons in doing that? Do you make your shakes with water, or coconut milk, or cashew milk, or almond milk or milk?

Thanks for any and all of your input.

Okay so I am the wrong guy for this one because those things make me gag. One think I can tell you with certainty is that your sense of taste is going to be messed for a few months after surgery and what tastes good to you know has a good shot of not tasting goid after surgery....so please don't stock up on anything because chances are string that you will waste money.

I know a lot of people like premier protein, the ready to drink kind. It will be trial and error unfortunately.

It really is a matter of taste. As Scott said, it will be trial or error. You can search protein supplements and find sample sizes. GNC has a very good return policy with receipt. If you're looking at liquids, Vitamin Shoppe has singles you can try.

Best one...one you can tolerate and one you can afford. Currently we do the Premier Protein RTD when I don't eat enough.

Whatever you do, make them with WATER or HWC (Heavy Whipping Cream) instead of milk. Milk will probably be an issue, at least short term for most. A good portion of us end up lactose intolerant for at least a few months, some never had an issue (LIKE my brat of a hubby, LOL) or like me, stay lactose intolerant. I made the worst mistake of my life when I first got home after surgery...I made a protein shake with regular milk. OMG, I have NEVER, EVER been so miserable and bloated and gassy in my life. I still can't drink regular milk bought at a store or ice cream. I have found tho that I am not truly lactose intolerant, I am pasteurized intolerant. I happen to live close enough to a state that allows sell of raw milk in farm stores to consumers. So I get raw milk weekly and am able to drink an 8oz glass of milk every morning.

Oh, and if you are in the majority of the population drinking the skim or fat free milk, STOP IT. http://time.com/4279538/low-fat-milk-vs-whole-milk/
As a DS'er, you will NEED the fat in full fat products but even normal humans need fat for heart and brain health.

I think they all taste like ASS! Hate them!

If you are relying on shakes for most of your intake, it is a mistake to get protein supplements because they do not have the electrolytes you need to live. You need a meal replacement shake instead. None of these taste great either but you won't drop dead because your electrolytes went south.

I would just get a few RTD and leave it at that! If you are eating enough food to get your electrolytes, you can use the supplements. Some like the Unjury chicken soup.

I used these two. They came ready-to-drink. I generally drank the chocolate. No powder, no mixing. I didn't love them, but they were OK. I had to drink one a day for the first couple of years, till I could eat enough.

Attachments

• e6845fc0-41a6-4038-a954-7ed6aeaec71f_1.666427f8eda5d947a6c2f08ab143ef62.jpg
    e6845fc0-41a6-4038-a954-7ed6aeaec71f_1.666427f8eda5d947a6c2f08ab143ef62.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 6
  • imagesMQJ27J12.jpg
    imagesMQJ27J12.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 6
I was going through the threads on protein powder, and most of the responses are a few years old.

So my question is, what protein shakes/powder have you enjoyed after surgery that packs a punch of protein? Favorite flavors? Favorite brands? Do you mix anything into the shakes? What do you think of putting a teaspoon of organic no sugar/no salt creamy peanut butter into the shake? Any pros or cons in doing that? Do you make your shakes with water, or coconut milk, or cashew milk, or almond milk or milk?

The only shake I can tolerate is the unflavored egg white protein powder made by Jay Robb. I typically mix it with a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder, a very little bit of Stevia, and a few shakes of cinnamon. If I have unsweetened almond milk, I use some of that (maybe 1/3) and the rest water, otherwise just water. If I need a caffeine boost, I sometimes add cold coffee as well. That's it. Every day for a year now! I tried nearly every other shake out there and cannot handle any of them - it's either the taste or the texture or the sugar alcohols or the milk-based whey or some combination, so I stick with what works. You'll find yours!

I think they all taste like ASS! Hate them!

If you are relying on shakes for most of your intake, it is a mistake to get protein supplements because they do not have the electrolytes you need to live. You need a meal replacement shake instead. None of these taste great either but you won't drop dead because your electrolytes went south.

I would just get a few RTD and leave it at that! If you are eating enough food to get your electrolytes, you can use the supplements. Some like the Unjury chicken soup.
They all taste disgusting to me and the chicken one may have been the worst. Whatever this spice used in that one really bothered me.

The ONLY one I can stand is the Unjury Chicken Soup - it is a mildly flavorful full-bodied (slightly creamy) broth, and "drinks like a soup" so it feels like having something to eat. I can't stand sweet drinks, so NONE of the others would even remotely appeal to me.

I use Premier RTD when I am rushed - not the best tasting but ok. Sometimes I add SF flavored syrup to the vanilla for a taste change. every morning, I have a chocolate shake with Unjury chocolate - I make mine with ½ and ½ and water. then a scoop and a half of unjury powder. It mixes easily enough that it can just be stirred. I take my first round of vits with it.
If I am craving cold - I put in a dollop of peanut butter and 8 or 10 ice cubes and run it thru the blender.

I have tried lots of other brands and return to Unjury all the time.

I use an Australian brand, so that likely won't be of any help.

Two things I can offer:

1. Everything will taste bad for a while after surgery. Don't write things off until after the 3-month mark (at least).
2. Try mixing your protein powder with coconut milk/cream. I found this was great for me while lactose intolerant, and also made some so-so protein powders drinkable - hell, almost pleasant.

I used Premier RTD for the first couple months and then stumbled upon Optimum nutrition gold whey protein isolate. LOVE! They have lots of wonderful flavors! The most popular one seems to be the milk chocolate...kind of tastes like Wendy's. I like the Salted Caramel, the rich chocolate, the vanilla ice cream, the Oreo cookie, the key lime pie was pretty good. Amazon carries all the flavors, Vitamin Shoppe usually stocks about 10 flavors and are priced the same as Amazon. I mix in a shaker cup with ice, double scoop of powder, 2/3 water and 1/3 lactose free milk. Or mostly water and some heavy whipping cream or half and half. This seems to be the most popular brand on the DS Facebook page I belong to. 2 scoops with milk gets me to about 60 grams of protien

Premier protein ready to drink is my favorite... And convenient and cheap for an RTD. I have the powder, but prefer the RTD

I get it at Sam's. $17/12 pk. (I stock up when it is on sale for $13.)

I've tried the atkins, muscle milk, gatorade protein, iunury powder. Could handle any of those.

I absolutely cannot drink k a glass of milk (unless I want to see cottage cheese 2 min later), but milk based protein drinks are ok, and things cooked with milk are fine. Even ice cream is fine, just no drinking it solo for me anymore

If you live near an Aldi, their chocolate weight loss shake is the best! Muscle milk is pretty good too!!

Latest posts

Back